• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cold Streaks (Winter Warfare Roleplay REMAKE) Registration

Premise:
"One’s perception makes up their biases, which constructs the foundation for their beliefs. If that is true, then what if? What if, amid a mundane and uneventful existence, strange and horrific beings hide beyond our perception? How would we trust our awareness knowing full well that everyday objects could be the very things that will end our lives?”

The year is 1981; Ronald Reagan became the president; Poland has its Martial Law; “Raiders of the Lost Ark” film was released, and NASA launched the very first Space Shuttle mission.

At this time, however, while we humans attempt to get out of our comfort zone and explore the vast outer space, something was awry in the deep oceans of our dear planet. Beings called “Waterboarders” debut on the 21st of March, making their appearance at 10:00 pm when a group of fishermen is reported to be missing.

On June 10 at 9 am, a TV show was mysteriously hijacked by an unknown culprit, where a low-res video of the ocean was shown before a mysterious set of lights flashes the camera and ends with dead static. Soon, a VHS tape was spread worldwide as a means to communicate. In the tape, a broadcast by an unknown host (labeled as [REDACTED]) is aired on television about a current threat, Waterboarders, of which there have been countless reports. They issued a state of emergency, advising every citizen who has the tape to stay indoors, lock all their entrances, and have access to a weapon of some sort.

The anonymous host then goes on to explain how to identify the threat. If you notice a distorted object with impossible characteristics, you should choose to run and hide. If one happens to be in your home, your fate... is sealed.

Waterboarders are said to use liquids of unknown origin, and it is heavily encouraged to cover every pathway of water with some sort of tape or blockade. However, static appears to interrupt the tapes, showing a POV video of a human being mutilated and eaten, flipping the camera over to see a humanoid wearing a human's face making a distorted cackle before eating the camera.

Only a few hours after the broadcast, a large tsunami attacked Japan, consuming 90% of the country’s landmass. From there, the Pandemonium of The End began. Cities collapsed, buildings annihilated, and crops destroyed by a threat we cannot understand.

In a desperate attempt, the combined efforts of Russia, China, and the US launched all their nukes at every possible location that these creatures can go, despite knowing it would conjure a nuclear fallout. Ships and submarines all over rose to defend the world, dispatching everything they possibly could, but to no avail.

Destruction is all that awaits humanity. The icebergs have melted, dramatically increasing the water level; the smoke made by the constant use of nukes covered the sky, dropping the temperature down and causing a radioactive winter that forced the only remaining survivors to stay in their homes. The population went down, from 4.81 billion to a million in a matter of days; a million to a hundred thousand in months. It was hopeless.

All yearning that one can conjure is gone. But maybe, just maybe… there could be a sliver of hope, a way to survive this harsh reality.

It is the year 2001, in a post-apocalyptic winter. You are a survivor staying at home, preparing to finally go outside in search of any survivors who are hopefully not taken over by these eldritch beings.

Places:
The new world is now divided into 6 separate known islands: Fallen Falcon (Formerly North America), Yhulens (Formerly South America), Brisked Bear (Formerly Asia), Misty Basin (Formerly Australia), Varia Frontalis (Formerly Europe), Srillbert (Formerly Africa).
  • Fallen Falcon: The once glorious America is now stripped of its wings. The island's population is around 10,402, with its resources deprived of almost any food, shelter, weapons, and most importantly... people. This is due to the increased activity of Waterboarders in this area, which went from 20% to 60% because of the new variant of Waterboarders.
  • Yhulens: It is a barren wasteland with little to no Waterboarder activity. Though the chances of running into these abstractions are slim, they aren't zero.
  • Brisked Bear: The biggest of the six, yet also the most dangerous. Being the nest of all abomination, there appears to be a [REDACTED].
  • Misty Basin: The main headquarters of Henosis and the source of 95% of Contraband and Waterboarder-related technology. But as advanced as it is, getting there would be wishing for death.
  • Varia Frontalis: Little info is known about this place... It is said that those who enter here would be moving towards their own Hades.
  • Srillbert: Although appearing as the least technological-advanced out of the Six Islands, Srillbert contains a vast amount of undiscovered resources, which could help or worsen the situation of the world depending on which Organization gets a hold of it.

Factions:
  • Survivors: Humanity's last remaining residents. You are given the task of stopping the unknown threat by all means necessary, but you can't do it alone. There are lots and lots of Headquarters where other Survivors gather up and find other remaining people.
    • Insiders: These types of people are the ones who have never gone outside, due to the fear of the Waterboarders roaming around the area. Thus, they do not know the current world aside from the tapes they've been receiving, this includes the use of Contraband.
  • Propagandist: Criminals who had escaped multiple prisons due to the first Waterboarder Attack. They are extremely lethal, reckless, and cunning, willing to do anything to get back their "freedom".
  • Waterboarders: Beings of pure abstraction, transcendent from space and time as well as [REDACTED]. They have [REDACTED] origin, made from [REDACTED].
Organizations:
  • Henosis: Located at the Islands Srillbert, Fallen Falcon, and Misty Basin, these are groups of expert Survivors that have an agenda of eliminating the Waterboarders and preservation of the human race. They contain lots of powerful Contraband Wielders and have access to technology that is impossible to obtain nowadays. However, each resident knows the risk of Waterboarders, and many other mutations of it, surrounding the area.
  • Agitprop Continuity: Now located at Varia Frontalis, these are a group of wanted criminals formed into a large organization in the hopes of weaponizing the Contraband and, in turn, Waterboarders for their own personal gain.

(For people playing as the Waterboarders, there will be signals/cues in the RP itself where you come in)

Contraband:
A way to combat or at least, hold a candle to the Waterboarders. These are made from the creature's torn "flesh" solidified and mixed with Uranium (Sometimes Radium) and Carbon. Despite their power, they are extremely difficult to make, with them already having a set of conditions that are extremely taxing to the user.
Abilities:
Radiation Manipulation (Contraband users can control multiple forms and aspects of Radiation), Limited Spatial Manipulation (The Contraband is capable of bending space through its abilities), Limited Ice Manipulation (Survivors have dispensable objects called Packets, which are mainly used in freezing the Contraband but can be used for normal combat), Non-Physical Interaction (Contraband can interact with various mutations of Waterboarders who are incorporeal in nature and are unable to be interacted with under normal circumstances), Invulnerability Negation (As they can interact with Waterboarders, so too could they negate their imperviousness and invincibility), Intangibility Negation (Contraband can interact with Waterboarders that are 90% light and nearly massless, negating the intangible aspect of light from them)
Note: The "weaker" the Contraband Ability is, the less it radiates and vice versa. (Weaker, in the sense that the ability isn't really meant for "fighting" and is mainly for "utility". Therefore, this forces the need for the user, or you in this case, to actually be creative in how they use said power)​
Weaknesses: Overuse of Contraband will lead to Radiation Poisoning and will kill the user if exposed long enough. Should the hardening of the Contraband melt, the Waterboarders will take over the user, instantly killing them.

Character Creation:​

Just a generic character creation guide.

Name:
Race: (Humans for Survivors, [REDACTED] for Waterboarders)
Appearance: (Give a description or add an image.)
Backstory: (It's sort of recommended to add more depth, but it's up to you)
Nationality: (Depends on which of the six islands you live on, just put a "dweller" next to the island your character lives)
Faction: (Survivor, Insiders, or Waterboarders)
Abilities: (Standard Contraband Abilities with No resistances)

It's best to make a sandbox in making a character. I also don't want any OP Characters since these are humans, so it logically doesn't make any sense for them to just one-shot everything passively, it would ruin the immersion as well as the fun of the people.

Act 1: AP/LS/SS and Durability is capped at Human Level, Contraband will be Unknown until Act 2 for story purposes.
Speed will at least be Superhuman with Relativistic+ Combat and Reaction Speed and Unknown with the Contraband.
The Hax shouldn't be too OP, no Smurfs, Fate, Plot, Reality Warping, you name it.
And as for weapons, they will be capped at Wall Level.
The range for Contraband would be up to 10 Kilometer max (This depends on how your power/Contraband works)
  • (Note: The weapons like guns would have the same range as their original counterpart.)
Summons would be 2 at best since that type of Contraband uses the most radiation, so you'd die faster.

For those playing as Waterboarders, the tier would ofc be Unknown, as low as 9-C/9-B when using Physical avatars

Accepted Characters will go here.

If 5 people join, the RP will start.

Last edited:
What are the Contraband items? Are they weapons?
Yes, they are weapons and very lethal one at that. Only those who know them (survivors) can have them, and those who aren't (insiders) can't.

They are fused with normal weapons, or custom made weapons to enhance the user's capacity to fight Waterboarders. Though you can't just stick it inside a gun and make it one shot WB's.

Though I haven't mentioned this in the premise (which I should've, but I guess dementia took over), bows, swords, and other weapons that don't have tht complex of a mechanism are the best for Contrabands (for now at least, since this is the 2000s, not current day lol)

What are the standards for images? Are we allowed to use anything of sufficient quality? And what is the naming convention for the Abstractions? Do we make a species or individuals?

What are the standards for images? Are we allowed to use anything of sufficient quality?
Well, choose something that matches the theme of the character you're portraying as well as the theme of the story (which is 90s, so you're gonna have to look for some nonfuturistic images)
And what is the naming convention for the Abstractions? Do we make a species or individuals?
I suggest using an uncanny name that isn't too long for naming them.
For example, using the name "6" from Mandela Catalogue or "The Horned Serpent" from Monument Mythos. A name that is simple, yet carries a sense of imminent dread.

I'm actually interested in how ppl will approach this, since most RPs I see are like fantasy related where the cast could play as the protagonists or antagonists and rarely would some of them die for real.

So that's why I didn't add resistances, that way the stakes would be high enough that it actually feels like a genuine threat.

Seeing as to how the waterboarders seem like species and this RP isn't getting much traction, can we make 1 survivor and 1 waterboarder?

Alright I am going to be honest I am making it based on a vampire that lives in fig trees so I am going to ask would fruit juice or tree sap fit so just having trees occasionally produce octopus monsters

Alright I am going to be honest I am making it based on a vampire that lives in fig trees so I am going to ask would fruit juice or tree sap fit so just having trees occasionally produce octopus monsters
It could but only if it's related to Waterboarders. Again, they are the main threat so you shouldn't deviate from it as best as you can.

Seems interesting, I'll think of something maybe.
@Backbackback

On the topic of this, I was thinking of creating a human using a kind of partial cyberization suit, which would be a mix between something like V from Cyberpunk and Jetstream Sam. Definitely sci-fi for the time, but without utilising Waterboarder flesh or undergoing the Contraband process, so without any of the fantasy elements and drawbacks of Contraband. Something along the lines of a military purpose suit whose purpose was switched from combat to trying to fend off Waterboarders due to their invasion, so not fully equipped with dealing with Waterboarders like Contraband, and like I said more sci-fi in nature. Sci-fi like Swords would be the weapons of choice, so nothing ranged and more like a Katana in nature.

I can probably just dm for more info if you need it, since we share a server, I just wanted to know if the concept sounds fine in the early stages.

what exactly even are waterboarders, what do they look like
I can't tell what they are as it would spoil the entire story, and well... ruin the immersion, so sorry...
On how they look like, well... that depends on how you imagine them to look like. Although I already have a general appearance on what they are, it's best to make the imagination ran rampant in your head.
@Backbackback

On the topic of this, I was thinking of creating a human using a kind of partial cyberization suit, which would be a mix between something like V from Cyberpunk and Jetstream Sam. Definitely sci-fi for the time, but without utilising Waterboarder flesh or undergoing the Contraband process, so without any of the fantasy elements and drawbacks of Contraband. Something along the lines of a military purpose suit whose purpose was switched from combat to trying to fend off Waterboarders due to their invasion, so not fully equipped with dealing with Waterboarders like Contraband, and like I said more sci-fi in nature. Sci-fi like Swords would be the weapons of choice, so nothing ranged and more like a Katana in nature.

I can probably just dm for more info if you need it, since we share a server, I just wanted to know if the concept sounds fine in the early stages.
I regret sending this link.

Last edited:
Back