• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Charged Ion Particle Speed?

I know this probably has been said a lot, but I’d like to have this reconfirmed, if a beam is made of highly charged ion particles, does it move at the speed of light?

This is in reference to Sentinel Beams from Halo series

Last edited:
I found these links where the first one says that ions are slower than electrions

And the second one here says that electrons travel at 2,200 km/sec, which is less than 1% the speed of light.

thoughts?

I won't pretend to know what constitutes a "charged ion beam", as I'm pretty much educated on calc-shit through VSBW (knowledge from proper education falls in one ear and out the other, despite what any testing says). What I will say is that you seem to have found sources online (our favorite things!) that answer your question. Ions are slower than electrons which are vastly slower than the SoL. Seems fine to me.

I won't pretend to know what constitutes a "charged ion beam", as I'm pretty much educated on calc-shit through VSBW (knowledge from proper education falls in one ear and out the other, despite what any testing says). What I will say is that you seem to have found sources online (our favorite things!) that answer your question. Ions are slower than electrons which are vastly slower than the SoL. Seems fine to me.
Thank you for your thoughts, sorry if I was a bother.

Not a concern, I'm just often unqualified to answer your questions.

What Bambu said is pretty much right; although iirc, there are other statements describing Sentinel Beams as having 299,792,458 m/s muzzle velocity some places. Though Halo Fandom doesn't seem to have a source to backup that claim unlike the Spartan Laser. Though it would also just be attack speed that wouldn't scale to anyone's reactions for sure.

What Bambu said is pretty much right; although iirc, there are other statements describing Sentinel Beams as having 299,792,458 m/s muzzle velocity some places. Though Halo Fandom doesn't seem to have a source to backup that claim unlike the Spartan Laser. Though it would also just be attack speed that wouldn't scale to anyone's reactions for sure.
Okay, yeah, I go more for the halopedia info, there is Master Chief dodging Sentinel beams in the novel “Halo:The Flood”

I'm pretty sure it would just be Aim Dodging at best. Not to mention reacting to a light speed projectile would be heavily outlierish considering what's even remotely consistent in Halo; the entire verse is regularly blitzed by Supersonic+ rounds that not even Master Chief's eyes are able to keep track of.

I'm pretty sure it would just be Aim Dodging at best. Not to mention reacting to a light speed projectile would be heavily outlierish considering what's even remotely consistent in Halo; the entire verse is regularly blitzed by Supersonic+ rounds that not even Master Chief's eyes are able to keep track of.
Okay, thank you for your thoughts, glad to have that cleared up.

Back