• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Category Organization

Damage3245

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
After speaking with Antvasima I've devised a proposed system for organizing the current categories.

Here is a link to an example diagram showing the proposed categories so far along with some examples of which category would go in them. (You will need to click the link at the top that says to open it in draw.io).

The proposed list so far is:

This thread serves as a place where categories can be requested to be unlocked, since a few of the important ones are currently locked and can't have categories added on to them. It's also a place where other staff members can suggest needed categories that need to be created since the above list is not a complete one but subject to change.

What if instead of, Characters by Weapon, it'd be, Characters by Equipment? Items, depending the character, could be used in battles without necessarily being a weapon.

@ElixirBlue; if necessary that can be a separate category. A lot of the ones I've seen so far are just weapon categories. Not a lot of equipment.

I've also added Characters by Group (for characters who are categorized into teams) and Characters by Status (for characters that are amnesiac, alcoholic, blind, etc.) to the list.

@Antvasima; good idea. I'll ask for their help.

So, we're going to be categorizing categories into specific categories based on the types of categories?

Considering many other wikis use this exact same system already, I don't have any problem with this, and I would be more than happy to help with this.

@Starter Pack; yes, focusing primarily on the characters categories first.

@Steven; thank you.

Thank you. One of the important points is that the original "Characters" category should be updated to "Characters by Medium" for categories such as Manga Characters, Light Novel Characters, etc.

Most of these are locked.

What if the character you're making is the manga adaption of a light novel

Do we give them category of manga or light novel

@ZackMoon1234; I assume that if the profile is specifically for the manga version of a character you would give them just the Manga Characters category.

If the profile is for both versions you would give them both categories.

Damage3245 said:
Thank you. One of the important points is that the original "Characters" category should be updated to "Characters by Medium" for categories such as Manga Characters, Light Novel Characters, etc.

Most of these are locked.
Just to clarify in order to make certain: We are definitely not going to change the name for the "Characters" category itself, just index several sub-categories under it.

What Damage means is that currently there are several sub-categories that should be indexed under "Characters by Medium" instead of "Characters".

I tried to fix the problem in question: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Characters

No problem. I fixed the tier categories as well.

Anyway, a lot of the more important categories have been admin-locked by myself over the years, so you will need help from content moderators in order to get this properly done.

Perhaps you can help out with the organisation?

Crzer07 is interested in indexing categories. Perhaps he is willing to help out?

Wait, are you guys categorizing all of the Profiles in the following order: Alignment , Gender , Genre , Group , Medium , Occupation , Power , Role , Species , Status , Tier , Verse , Weapon

Or am I misunderstanding the OP

Because I categorize all of the Profiles I've made in the following order: Verse, Medium, Gender, Role, Tier, Power

See Lin Jie for an example

ZackMoon1234; no, the list in the OP is just going alphabetically for easy of sorting.

How profiles themselves are categorized / what order they're categorized is not what this thread is about.

(Though personally I always make sure the Tier is the last category out of the lot you've listed)

A Characters by Age category sounds good to me.

I've added it to the OP and created it. But some of those categories are locked.

Back