• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Can regen stop you from losing consciousness due to lack of oxygen/a chokehold?

Depends partially on the regen level, but mostly on the story- Wolverine for example is often in danger of drowning (for most writers at least), despite having regen good enough to come back from a part of his brain.

If the character in question has proof they can regenerate their brain cells quickly enough to combat brain-death, sure.

Otherwise, choking and drowning causes the brain cells to die rapidly because of a lack of oxygen rich blood.

If the character in question has proof they can regenerate their brain cells quickly enough to combat brain-death, sure.

Otherwise, choking and drowning causes the brain cells to die rapidly because of a lack of oxygen rich blood.
Here’s the actual regen scan itself then, to dive into specifics

0:07

Would they be capable of losing consciousness due to lack of oxygen?

My issue is that lack of oxygen in of itself isn’t damage, nor is loss of consciousness technically

Also if regen prevents passing out from oxygen that opens the can of worms that regen users of a certain level should all get self-sustenance, because they can just regen away any ill effects of lack of sleep, food, air, etc.

My issue is that lack of oxygen in of itself isn’t damage, nor is loss of consciousness technically

Also if regen prevents passing out from oxygen that opens the can of worms that regen users of a certain level should all get self-sustenance, because they can just regen away any ill effects of lack of sleep, food, air, etc.
That's usually due to Shapeshifter Baggage (which also covers Healing Factors) though, not an actual in-story reason.

If folk who can unrealistically regen via biological means get Self Sustenance since they aren't following Conservation of Mass, then everyone with blatantly superhuman strength just from training should get Physics Manipulation too

[Edit: Nevermind I thought you were making a different point]

I'm pretty sure that eventually dying due to lack of oxygen is hax-based. And I really doubt any kind of regen would save you from that scenario.

What about High-Mid regen?

Im not asking about dying, just passing out or losing consciousness at all

I don't think it would prevent you from falling unconscious but it would definitely prevent you from dying because of a lack of oxygen.

What about High-Mid regen?

Im not asking about dying, just passing out or losing consciousness at all
I have never heard of something like that. I don't think any regen would help you avoid passing due to lack of oxygen, I could be wrong though. Maybe you wouldn't die after you pass out depending on the regen, but I think that's a different topic and something that you are not looking for.

If someone is shown to keep moving or say awake after having their head/brain completely destroyed, they should be able to remain conscious regardless of oxygen.

But Regeneration by itself won't prevent you from passing out via lax of oxygen.

Back