• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Busoshoku Haki's durability negation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KittBetelgeuse

She/Her
A short time ago there was a discussion about equalizing haki to other energy types, it was deemed that haki was too different from the other common anime energy types to qualify for that kind of equalization based on its specialized unique capabilities.

One topic that was very briefly touched was that of Haki's ability to negate power-based durability enhancements, not negating the power but bypassing it, I even got to the point of calling it a "softcore soul attack", tough that MUST be taken as an oversimplification, since this has many catches that have to be adressed, the idea here is discussing if we should "buff" every haki user with a specific kind of durability negation on their powers and abilities list, and a note explaining how this affects other verses on the One Piece verse page.

first the definition of haki as we have it on the wiki is correct and probably shouldnt be changed, here I copypaste just to have everyone on the same page:

Busōshoku Haki (Color of Armaments): A form of Haki that allows the user to create an "invisible armor" around themselves. With that, they can protect himself from attacks, and if trained well, use it to deliver stronger attacks. Besides the increase of strength, it is the only form of attack that doesn't involve Kairouseki that can hit any Devil Fruit user, being able to hit the user's original body even if it's a Logia user. It can also be used in weapons.

We focus on the last tidbit, were it says "Being able to hit the user's original body".Haki is able to apply the full force of a characters attack to an enemy, bypassing any superpower that means a defense to them, hitting their original form, for example, Luffy resisting blunt force gets negated, and even tought he still retain his rubber properties, he get's hit as if he didn't, this means that when we hit luffy with a haki imbued attack, we're counting it as luffy's own durability with NO resistance. Haki then takes into account the user's "body" when their powers are not activated, This is a very important distinction due a recent chapter'r showing us an interesting interaction, Luffy trying to punch Prometheus (Who is a ball of concentrated fire given life by another character's power) with haki, said exchange didn't harm prometheus at all, and Luffy even pointed out that "it was worse than a logia". We know by this that haki is NOT a soul attack (As prometheus is confirmed to have a soul giving him life), instead, Haki doesn't work on him because he has no true body that can be hurted by blunt force, he is simply a ball of fire.

with this we have a guideline for what kind of things haki can negate:

-Intangibility (so long as the character in question has to "turn on" said intangibility, indicating they have a real body, characters like Mirio Togata )

-Elemental Dispersion (So long as the character has to turn on said dispersion, Characters like Juvia Lockser and Kona )

-Passive Elemental Mimicry (if the character has or has had a NON-powered self, or in the least has to activate said power, Examples in verse include Monkey D. Luffy , Jozu and Daz Bones , similar characters from other verses then would apply, such as Mr. Fantastic , someone also pointed out Colossus but I don't know the character enough)

It would NOT work on:

-Power generated armor (shown multiple times in the series, cases like Pica and Charlotte Cracker , this is were the colossus thing came to mind as his profile says "turning to metal" instead of "Coating in metal")

-Things that "from birth" are passively intangible or indestructible (Several stands come to mind, particularly Yellow Temperance and The Fool , if it hits the stand, not the user)

-Passive power after effects (Haki only Bypasses the power, it doesnt negate it's existance, so unless the user's armament haki is strong enough, they can hit people made out of acid or fire but will suffer damage)

It should be pointed that even when haki bypasses the power enhancement, it doesn't bypass the target's real body's durability, for example, after getting the gomu gomu no mi powers, luffy Gained resistance to blunt force, but he has become much stronger by himself and not only by his power, being able to survive hits from blackbeard when he nullifies his rubber powers, or being hit by other haki users even pre-timeskip.

But here comes the hard discussion part, would it be applicable to characters who use Stats-Amps and transformations? to put a couple examples, If we punch All Might with a Haki-enhanced punch, Would be hurting his little scrawny self? If we don't take regen into account, would we hit base Ba instead of Amped Ban when he uses Hunter Fest? If you hit Awakened Garou , Would you be hurting his base self or his Awakened state? in regards of that last one, what about the Humans who turned monsters by eating monster cells?

TL:DR: Should we give Haki users "durability negation/Bypass" on their power lists?

Knightofannihilation666 said:
I'd say that's more like resistance negation rather than durability negation.
I'm aware, I'm just calling it that in the title to make it more clickbaity, in this wiki is seriously hard to bring attention to some topics xvx

True. x.x and yeah this seems reasonable to me. However I'd wait for more input, if you'd like I could ask others to give some input here.

@Knightofannihilation666
That would be very helpful, I'll keep waiting for more input, maybe I'll have to poke Cin since he's the one piece expert in turn

Asking CinCameron20 for input seems like a good idea.

This is interesting. What would happen if Haki were used against Accelarator ?? Would it bypass his reflect ?? I think it definitely should if Haki is shown to bypass Kuma's devil fruit power, but since no one has yet tried countering Kuma's power using Haki, so the topic is still debatable

But here comes the hard discussion part, would it be applicable to characters who use Stats-Amps and transformations? to put a couple examples, If we punch All Might with a Haki-enhanced punch, Would be hurting his little scrawny self? If we don't take regen into account, would we hit base Ba instead of Amped Ban when he uses Hunter Fest? If you hit Awakened Garou , Would you be hurting his base self or his Awakened state? in regards of that last one, what about the Humans who turned monsters by eating monster cells?

This is the same story when Haki-enhanced punch is being used against zoan type.

@RoyGundam I personally think that No, since accelerator's reflect would fall into the "power generated armor" cathegory, I'm almost sure that the vector field floats around him ,slightly separated from his body. About the Kuma thing, I'm 90% sure that if you hit Kuma's Pawpads with haki, you would probably damage him, but STILL be repeled (since haki does NEVER negate the powers effect)

@NotJimSterling The weird thing about Zoan types is that aside from a few outliers (chopper included due the wild difference inbetween his forms), they consistently have similar durability across all of their transformations, so we cannot properly tell if haki is negating their enhanced animal durability, and this isn't helped by the fact that almost every one piece character is physically strong regardless of their power, Like how Blackbeard punching luffy when he has no powers didn't kill him, Zoan seem to work in similar ways

Marco is kinda the exception since he is a bit mix between zoan and logia, I'm talking about pure zoan type like chopper(yeah he use drugs but still dont have logia type power) or jack.

Nedoiko said:
@NotJimSterling The weird thing about Zoan types is that aside from a few outliers (chopper included due the wild difference inbetween his forms), they consistently have similar durability across all of their transformations, so we cannot properly tell if haki is negating their enhanced animal durability, and this isn't helped by the fact that almost every one piece character is physically strong regardless of their power, Like how Blackbeard punching luffy when he has no powers didn't kill him, Zoan seem to work in similar ways
Source?

Also I have double post issue that I don't know how to fix

@notjimsterling this is more a statement based on observation

there are zoan users who have been hitted hard in different forms, fromt he top of my head lucci was already strong and terrifying as a human, Sengoku was still comparable to garp in base form, and Jack's fights against the minks yielded the same results regardless of his form, he basically only changed his method of attack but was equally hurted by Inuarashi and Nekomamushi in his mammuth form, simmilar minor things happen to characters like Xdrake, Marco and Jabra

Then there are the iffy questionable ones which would be characters like Chopper, who I think has never been hitted by haki before, and has a form specifically designed to resist high impacts, and then there's Pekoms whose fruit grants him inmense impact resistance but has also never been hit by haki before, and we cant be sure Bege used haki any of the two times he shot pekoms. lastly the awakened zoans since theyre splicitly stated to have more rescilience. since these characters have the most drastic increase in durability due to their fruits, seing them receive haki attacks would be very informative, but I can't recall any momment they have

Let's just ignore ppl who either have weird zoan like marco or those who barely has any fighting scene.

For jack...well I just rememeber that his animal form dosent even seems to do anthing.. but as far as I know(base on rob lucci vs lufffy) the hybrid form is the one who seems to be the most powerfull form for zoan type, while jack for whatever reason dont use his hybrid form.. So lets talk about chopper instead since for chopper, he does has been hit by haki, or by luffy elephant gun(while he at his monster form) which knock him out.

Btw I dont undertand this, has a form specifically designed to resist high impacts
its that the same with all the zoan hybrid form? but Chopper is does stronger because of the drugs that he use.

@notjimsterling about jack, he basically transforms into a mammuth to increase his range due to sheer size (its easier to sweep several minks with a gigantic trunk than with shorter arms)

About chopper, it can get very speculative, I had forgot he got hit by luffy in punk hazard when franky was in his body, and he got knocked out cold, but it was by an attack that outclasses monster point by 2 tiers, However, he previously had tanked a haki-less attack by Surume in Guard point, and said attack was of similar magnitude, Monster point sorta scales its durability to Guard Point since its a combination of all the points. Can we say that luffy bypassed monster points durability with his haki or it simply doesn't matter and luffy is just that strong?

I don't agree with this.

Saying Haki negates all kinds of intangibility just because it does to certain Logia users is a NLF. And for the record Aokiji was able to disperse through Haki-infused attacks, although said Haki users are more bothersome to fight.

Also wtf is this?

"But here comes the hard discussion part, would it be applicable to characters who use Stats-Amps and transformations?"

Do you know how ridiculous this sounds? This is like saying SSB Goku gets hit from a Haki punch and it's the same as Goku's base self taking the damage.

Everything regarding Haki should be considered and proceeded based ON SHOWINGS ONLY. The power is vague and not enough explained, leaving holes for interpretations of any kind.

@Nedo, Well the thing is if luffy can bypassed his monster points durability, then it's a bit too much from him to elephant gun chopper? I believe without his monster form, base Chopper is weaker than Hody who after bazillion amount of times take drugs to power up himself is still almost got knocked out by luffy red hawk.

Also in what chapter is stated that Chopper has previously had tanked a haki-less attack by Surume and on similar magnitude? I want to see the chapter again.

ScarletFirefly said:
Do you know how ridiculous this sounds? This is like saying SSB Goku gets hit from a Haki punch and it's the same as Goku's base self taking the damage.
Well yeah..this will not happen.

This is a bonafide "interpret as convenient" argument.

-Intangibility (so long as the character in question has to "turn on" said intangibility, indicating they have a real body, characters like Mirio Togata )
Uhm, what? So you're saying Haki users can bypass Flash's intangibility? And the reason for that is because they can negate elemental dispersion? Really? Would they also bypass Obito Uchiha's intangibility that's completely different?

-Passive Elemental Mimicry (if the character has or has had a NON-powered self, or in the least has to activate said power, Examples in verse include Monkey D. Luffy , Jozu and Daz Bones , similar characters from other verses then would apply, such as Mr. Fantastic , someone also pointed out Colossus but I don't know the character enough)
Yeah no. The only proof you have of this is related to Devil Fruits which for all we know, could have special interaction with Haki. Any reason why would people such as the Thing's durability be bypassed? Would Su Storm become visible as well? Since they a "NON-powered self?

Your last argument about Haki bypassing amplified statistics and transformations is just not worth discussing at all, that's how much reaching there is to it.

I think that ScarletFirefly makes sense.

BoomeYang said:
This is a bonafide "interpret as convenient" argument.
Honestly just this. Making an extensive list that's very likely to be non-exhaustive is just trying to classify and categorize powers to suit your own interpretation.

ScarletFirefly summarizes my thoughts sbout this.

@Ant could you please close this thread? It wont even result in an upgrade and the extension of the applications of the Bushou haki varies from user to user, so each one will be debated according to their showings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back