• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Boom! Studio's Potential Canoncity to WWE

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomGuy2345

He/Him
A few years back, Boom! Studios made a comic book series titled 'WWE', the concept behind it being Boom! Studios taking storylines that happened on TV and diving deeper into them more than the TV show could (stated here).

They've covered multiple storylines that happened in the WWE. They do this, all the while giving backstories/origins of most of the wrestlers that are primarily featured to make the people reading connect with them more.

Like I said earlier, they're taking storylines from WWE and expanding on them more.

It's also stated here that WWE partnered with Boom! Studios in making these comics, so I'm here to ask the question of whether or not the comic book series 'WWE' is canon or not to the TV show itself.

I would say yes, they are canon. It would be similar to a databook which provides further explanation about a specific character's backstory or abilities. Both are made under the supervision of the main content owner of the series and don't actively contradict known facts about anything from my knowledge.

It's the least assumptive and most supported claim to make in my opinion.

I'm not gonna post too many examples, because at that point, I'll just sound like a broken record.

Volume 1, titled 'Redesign, Rebuild, Reclaim' starts off with Seth Rollins winning MITB, which is what happened on WWE. However, Boom! Studios adds a backstage segment of Rollins bragging about his win, which leads to a fight. They also give hints to the idea that HHH is just using him.

Later on, after Seth Rollins cashes in MITB to win the WWE Championship, Boom! Studios adds an extra layer to the story, by showing a backstage segment of Triple H "congratulating" Rollins.

In Volume 2, titled 'Roman Empire', during Roman Reigns' match against Seth Rollins at MITB 2016, Boom! Studios gives a mini backstory explaining how Roman got his signature yell from, which leads to this moment, where Roman does his signature yell.

After losing the match, Roman is on the outside of the ring, distraught watching Dean Ambrose cash in his MITB to win the title. When Ambrose offers his hand to Roman, Roman angrily declines his offer, which adds more layers to the story.

In Volume 5, titled 'The Phenomenal One', Boom! Studios recreate the iconic segment of Samoa Joe invading AJ Styles' home. Boom! Studios adds more layers to the rivalry after Samoa Joe invades his house by adding the fact that AJ's wife stated that Joe never set foot into their home, but it actually turns out he was in AJ's home watching cartoons with his kid (plus he drank out of his lucky mug).

I can go on and on, but I think you get my point.

If these comic books were made in partnership with WWE, they would qualify for secondary canon to the WWE verse. Meaning they could be used for profiles to the extent that they do not contradict the original source material.

In other words, this is pretty unambiguously alright.

Nice!

I think this has reached a conclusion now, though I will ask one last question:

Meaning they could be used for profiles to the extent that they do not contradict the original source material.
By this, do you mean that we can use feat from the comics and apply them to the current profiles we have for the WWE verse?

By this, do you mean that we can use feat from the comics and apply them to the current profiles we have for the WWE verse?
Yes. Information from it can be used for indexing on the WWE verse, unless the information contradicts the source material, in which case the source material would take priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back