• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Book suggestions

Da3ggman

He/Him
Inspired by Bambu's thread, but this time, with a TWIST!

Just give me books and shit to read

Rules:
  1. I'm fine with just about any genre except p*rn and stuff similar to it. Know, however, that this doesn't mean books with sex in it; just books where it is the main focus (Blood Meridian would be allowed, but 50 Shades of Gray would not).
  2. Just about any intensity is fine, as long as it doesn't use super serious things (R*ape) for a laugh or shock. It's got to have a purpose.
  3. Comics and manga are also acceptable.
And without further ado, let's go!

Good Omens is pretty good. Its a fairly comedic story, but still has an interesting plot of an angel and demon trying to stop the apocalypse.
Oh yeah, I watched the show version a while back. Is it anything like the book?

Oh yeah, I watched the show version a while back. Is it anything like the book?
Yeah, the first season sticks to the book pretty closely. The book gives a bit more detail about the events of course and also the book was written in 1990 so of course the show was made to feel a bit more modern.

Good Omens is pretty good. Its a fairly comedic story, but still has an interesting plot of an angel and demon trying to stop the apocalypse.
And on this note, given that Good Omens was co written by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, I would recommend reading any book part of the Discworld series by the great late Sir Terry Pratchett. If you're someone who's interested in absurdist fantasy that acts satirical but has so much heart and deep philosophy to it, on top of having one of the most benevolent and well written personifications of Death as one of the main reoccurring characters in the series then I'd wholeheartedly consider giving it a shot.

There's plenty of good choices, but given my love for Death....I would start with the stories where he's one of the main protagonists of the story like Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music, Hogfather, and Thief of Time. But Discworld is composed of 41 books so you can start anywhere if you wish

The Legend of Drizzt novels are a pretty good read if you like D&D (I've been rereading them so I've got them on the mind rn).
man, i should really read more fantasy novels

And on this note, given that Good Omens was co written by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, I would recommend reading any book part of the Discworld series by the great late Sir Terry Pratchett. If you're someone who's interested in absurdist fantasy that acts satirical but has so much heart and deep philosophy to it, on top of having one of the most benevolent and well written personifications of Death as one of the main reoccurring characters in the series then I'd wholeheartedly consider giving it a shot.

There's plenty of good choices, but given my love for Death....I would start with the stories where he's one of the main protagonists of the story like Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music, Hogfather, and Thief of Time. But Discworld is composed of 41 books so you can start anywhere if you wish
Good to know; I might give the whole lot of them a shot!

The Legend of Drizzt novels are a pretty good read if you like D&D (I've been rereading them so I've got them on the mind rn).
man, i should really read more fantasy novels
Never really played D&D, but I did quite like the movie. Is it similar to that?

The Magic Tree House

Animorphs

Yes, these are books I read in elementary school. Yes, I love these books. No, I'm not embarrassed.

A List of Cages by Robin Roe. A book which really conveys that life can suck, friends come from strange places, and family is what you make of it.

Really helped me grasp and nail the sort of realism I strive for in my writing.

Never really played D&D, but I did quite like the movie. Is it similar to that?
No. The movie is more akin to the MCU.

But now that I'm here, take a look at The Paladins series if you like Swords & Sorcery and armored people that get powers from opposite Gods. There are other series that takes place in the same World, but they work fine as standalone series.

Back