• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Bloodborne: Does Ebrietas Have Acausality?

I have been wondering about this for a while, with the reason I think she qualifies for some type of causality being that even after being killed/having her physical body destroyed, the Hunter (and some enemies) are still able to use the Auger of Ebrietas tool. This tool is said to be a partial summon of Ebrietas:

"Remnant of the eldritch Truth encountered at Byrgenwerth. Use phantasms, the invertebrates known to be the augurs of the Great Ones,
to partially summon abandoned Ebrietas. The initial encounter marked the start of an inquiry into the cosmos
from within the old labyrinth, and led to the establishment of the Choir."

I know that it's a gameplay element, but given how intertwined the gameplay and story are, I think there's enough here to discuss the idea. What do you think?

Or possibly Immortality Type 9, as there's some debate as to whether you actually kill the Great Ones encountered in the waking world (Ebrietas, Celestial Emissary, and possibly Rom), as they can be encountered again in the Pthumerian Tombs, and likely have their own dreamscapes, which would he the planes on which they could actually be killed.

In this case, Ebrietas isn't dead at all, and Acausality isn't required for the Augur to work

That's true, but there's a bit not said there that matters a lot: the Great Ones all have a dual existence inhabiting both physical and astral forms. Their bodies are still alive, and they may act as anchors to reality, but their astral forms are their "true" forms. Granted, the best evidence for this is a cut chalice dungeon boss that served as the physical body for the Moon Presence, but there is still lore in the game supporting this. If Ebrietas's body is destroyed but not the astral form, and the astral form can manifest physically when summoned, then you're right, no causality is needed to explain the Augur still functioning. However, I don't know that there is good enough evidence to support that, as the astral forms don't seem to be tangible, with the possible exception of the Moon Presence in the Hunter's Dream, which seems to be an astral realm or a realm capable of interacting with the astral realm directly. Then acausality would be required to explain the Augur.

Personally, I think that having the Great Ones be outside of time, and thus causality in a linear time stream, makes a lot of sense. But I also don't know that there's enough hard evidence to support that, at least enough to make a CRT.

Back