• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Baldi Revisions (July 2022)

Baldi shouldn't have phasing. Every time I have ever seen Baldi's phasing mentioned in a VS thread, it is always dismissed as game mechanics, and his profile deems it as a mere possible ability that could just be game mechanics. Unless I misunderstand and it's the things that Baldi can't phase through that are just that way because of game mechanics, but in that case, I don't know why so much evidence of him being affected by objects should be dismissed in this context. Why would there be a canonical reason for Baldi to be able to phase through desks but not everything else? Baldi's profile states that he can phase through doors without opening them, but I don't recall this, and he gets locked out when a door is locked as the profile even mentions already, which is pretty much the entire purpose of the Swinging Door Lock, so I'm questioning the idea of Baldi having phasing very much.

I am surprised that I somehow didn't notice that one of Baldi's most funny abilities isn't on his profile, so here I am to add it. Baldi has fourth wall awareness. This has been demonstrated in many occurrences. Him welcoming the player on the title screen, him explaining the controls, him saying bye to the player, and seemingly during the current ending of Baldi's Basics Plus, which also seems to be more spatial manipulation.

There is outdated evidence on Baldi's profile. The Striking Strength section states that Baldi can one-shot the player without his ruler, but this is no longer true as of the 0.2 version of Baldi's Basics Plus. The evidence should be removed, though the striking strength is assumed to be the same as the attack potency so the ranking shouldn't change.

Last edited:
For Baldi's phasing, I don't know if Baldi is capable of entering Principal's office when player is during detention.

The 4th Wall Breaking ability is fine, though
is not a strong evidence since it is not unusual that a main character appearing in the title screen. Other evidences are strong enough to justify this ability, though.

For the Strike Strength outdated justification removal, I agree with the removal considering that
Baldi can no longer end the game if his ruler is broken.
is stated in the link you provided. Unknown justification may be fine, I suppose.

Thanks for the message!
  • Oh, so that's what the phasing refers to. I do remember Baldi going through that door without opening it, though I also have memories of Baldi opening it, so I'll check to make sure which is which... I found out that Baldi does phase through the door when the player is in detention. However, this is contradicted by when locking a door is used against him with the Swinging Door Lock. I think that Baldi going through the principal office door is just because the door being locked is supposed to disadvantage only the player rather than both of them.
  • Okay, I'll remember to phrase the fourth wall awareness with that in mind.
  • I didn't mean to have the Striking Strength change to "Unknown", since I considered it assumed to be the same as the Attack Potency, but I guess it does make sense to be unknown since Baldi doesn't attack the player without a ruler anymore. How about "Unknown, likely Wall Class"?

Thanks for the message!
  • Oh, so that's what the phasing refers to. I do remember Baldi going through that door without opening it, though I also have memories of Baldi opening it, so I'll check to make sure which is which... I found out that Baldi does phase through the door when the player is in detention. However, this is contradicted by when locking a door is used against him with the Swinging Door Lock. I think that Baldi going through the principal office door is just because the door being locked is supposed to disadvantage only the player rather than both of them.
  • Okay, I'll remember to phrase the fourth wall awareness with that in mind.
  • I didn't mean to have the Striking Strength change to "Unknown", since I considered it assumed to be the same as the Attack Potency, but I guess it does make sense to be unknown since Baldi doesn't attack the player without a ruler anymore. How about "Unknown, likely Wall Class"?
I agree with all of them, though it may be better if you added a note for the removal of phasing when applying the CRT since the argument I brought can be brought by other people.

I think it would be more sensible to have it set as "limited Phasing" myself than outright removing Phasing entirely. It is true that even though Baldi can phase through doors and desks normally, the locks still prevent Baldi from doing so. It was a common occurrence within the game.

As for the one-shotting deal, the profile takes into account both Baldi's Basics Classic (and its Birthday update) and Baldi's Basics Plus. In Classic, Baldi can sure as heck one-shot the player, no ruler-breaking shenanigans period. In Plus, however, a broken ruler means Baldi couldn't do jack, so I think it's safe to assume Baldi's ruler is as sharp as an obsidian knife or something.

In fact, I do suggest downgrading Baldi from 382,910.048 joules since it uses the 7.5x formula which is ONLY used for debating purposes and not for scaling purposes. So, instead, I suggest just upscaling Baldi to Gotta Sweep's AP.
Seems about right; many users even believe the 7.5x might be a little much for one-shotting something. Some usually classify an AP stomp as a mere 2-3x the AP/durability of his opponent even. Although being fair, the player isn't even remotely hurt from Gotta Sweep's sweeping.

I think it would be more sensible to have it set as "limited Phasing" myself than outright removing Phasing entirely. It is true that even though Baldi can phase through doors and desks normally, the locks still prevent Baldi from doing so. It was a common occurrence within the game.
The phasing is described as "possibly limited" right now, so your suggestion wouldn't add or remove anything from it. Also, the rest of what you wrote reminded me of another example of why Baldi shouldn't have phasing: There are many desks that Baldi doesn't phase through. Baldi goes around any of the desks that are in the classrooms.
As for the one-shotting deal, the profile takes into account both Baldi's Basics Classic (and its Birthday update) and Baldi's Basics Plus. In Classic, Baldi can sure as heck one-shot the player, no ruler-breaking shenanigans period. In Plus, however, a broken ruler means Baldi couldn't do jack, so I think it's safe to assume Baldi's ruler is as sharp as an obsidian knife or something.
This idea seems great in some aspects, but there's one reason that makes it probably unusable. Baldi breaks the ruler seemingly because he's smacking it on his hand too hard. If that ruler has attributes that make it very powerful, it should also be very tough, because durability scales to power. Baldi being able to break that ruler means he's also that strong. Note that this isn't always the case with weapons, but it is with Baldi's ruler since the entire ruler is made of the same material.
In fact, I do suggest downgrading Baldi from 382,910.048 joules since it uses the 7.5x formula which is ONLY used for debating purposes and not for scaling purposes. So, instead, I suggest just upscaling Baldi to Gotta Sweep's AP.
That seems like a good idea. I wouldn't notice something like that since I didn't look at the precise amount of wall level Baldi is, so if that's why he's like that, a bit of a downgrade would be good. In that case, he should be considered "at least" wall level, since the extent of his power above the player's durability is unknown.

If that ruler has attributes that make it very powerful, it should also be very tough, because durability scales to power.
You never heard of the term "glass cannon," have you?

Also, it's fiction. If Mitsurugi from Soul Calibur tried to do a High 6-A feat in real life, his sword would've been long-since shattered before it could put a dent in a small rock. By this same logic, a ruler would've broken if you just tried to use it as a table for a 100-lb weight. That's why everyone's answer to fictional phenomenon is "Just roll with it."

Last edited:
You never heard of the term "glass cannon," have you?

Also, it's fiction. If Mitsurugi from Soul Calibur tried to do a High 6-A feat in real life, his sword would've been long-since shattered before it could put a dent in a small rock. By this same logic, a ruler would've broken if you just tried to use it as a table for a 100-lb weight. That's why everyone's answer to fictional phenomenon is "Just roll with it."
I know what glass cannons are already, and it doesn't make sense for the ruler to be one in this situation. There are two likely possibilities that we can use to explain why the ruler is so powerful. First possibility; the ruler has wall level power because of Baldi's swinging, which would mean that Baldi has wall level power without it and would mean that the ruler has wall level durability for usually not breaking. Second possibility; the ruler has wall level power despite being made of wood because it's fiction and we're expected to "just roll with it", which still means that Baldi is wall level because an entity having supernatural power and having its durability scaling to that power despite it being made of a material that shouldn't be so durable in real life is how over half of the weapon/character pages on the VS Battles Wiki work. Many characters on the VS Battles Wiki are humans yet have supernatural physical capabilities and we're expected to "just roll with it", but that doesn't stop their power from scaling to their durability despite their fists used for fighting being made of bones and flesh. Usually glass cannons use non-physical abilities to be stronger than they are durable.

And I do suggest that Baldi should have Weapon Mastery since he can utilize a ruler as a weapon to kill and given how he's so adept with it
I'm not sure if what Baldi does qualifies for weapon mastery, especially since Baldi killing the player is because of power, but it seems like a sensible ability addition considering that Baldi would probably be even more combat effective if he had a more traditional weapon.

I dispute Baldi's weapon mastery. It takes no skill to just swing a ruler at someone to disable them if you are stronger than they are, which is the basic assumption here.

I think OP's proposals are all valid. Baldi can enter the Principal's room when the player is in detention - heck, Markiplier's gameplay has that happening several times. I'd argue that any instance of Baldi "phasing" through doors is solely game mechanics.

I dispute Baldi's weapon mastery. It takes no skill to just swing a ruler at someone to disable them if you are stronger than they are, which is the basic assumption here.

I think OP's proposals are all valid. Baldi can enter the Principal's room when the player is in detention - heck, Markiplier's gameplay has that happening several times. I'd argue that any instance of Baldi "phasing" through doors is solely game mechanics.
Yeah, the Weapon Mastery was one ability I was iffy on adding too. I think it's best to remove it.

Thanks. 👍

Back