• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Aura - Always Supernatural?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deagonx

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
I wanted to ask/clarify our Aura standards. Of course there are numerous cases in which characters have a supernatural aura that can literally affect the people around them. I wanted to ask/clarify whether we would ever give this ability to someone who is described as having an aura, but in a manner that is slightly more figurative. I.e., they have a "presence" or "aura" about them, and it may even be described as having an effect on the people around them, but the setting very clearly does not entail any of the characters having supernatural powers or the manner in which the aura is described is definitively not a literal power. Is this still "aura" for our standards?

In either case, I think it would be worthwhile to make a small addition clarifying this, whether a supernatural element is mandatory for the ability or whether it can be natural too.

It depends on context I think, if there explicitly is nothing supernatural going on you could list it as something like Social Influencing (Really ******* scary dude holy shit), assuming there's nothing that forces the presence of something supernatural (For example being able to sense the guy's presence when he's near just because he's so scary). I don't think a note is really necessary though, I wouldn't strongly oppose that being listed as Aura anyways.

I'm more with Ant, I think "natural" aura should just fall under social influencing. I'm not super passionate about the matter, but if we decide that natural things can be aura I think we can just add a brief mention of that in the page.

I would say:
If it's an aura like in real life then it's basically just social influencing, as it's just an impression people get of the person.
If it's more than that it would be supernatural regardless of what the setting says... or super science or something. In that case, it's an aura.

I agree with Antvasima and DT.

If it's just an "aura", then it's Social Influencing.

If it is a supernatural aura, then it's Aura.

Thank you. I have unlocked the page for you. 🙏

A considerably better illustration image for that page definitely also wouldn't hurt if somebody here can find one.

Thank you. I have unlocked the page for you. 🙏

A considerably better illustration image for that page definitely also wouldn't hurt if somebody here can find one.
I've added the note. Later today I can search for a more suitable image.

Thank you for helping out. It should preferably feature a reasonably well-known character that exemplifies the ability in a distinctive and easily understood manner. 🙏

There are plenty of auras in Hunter x Hunter or Dragon Ball that could be suitable.

Sorry for commenting. Just wanted to pre-emptively ask. So Yujiro and similar characters would have just social influencing and not aura anymore right?

How about something like this?

Hunter-x-Hunter-Nen-Chart-Explained-5.jpg

It is not a sufficiently high-resolution image, does not feature a single character, and it is rather hard to make out the characters against the background.

That one seems good in theory, but doesn't it feature Gon activating his one-time transformation into his full potential adult form rather than a regular aura?

That one seems good in theory, but doesn't it feature Gon activating his one-time transformation into his full potential adult form rather than a regular aura?

No. The scene you're referring to happens several episodes later. The scene in the gif is just him flexing his Nen and showing an aura.

Okay. Then it should be fine to use. Thank you for helping out. 🙏

No. The scene you're referring to happens several episodes later. The scene in the gif is just him flexing his Nen and showing an aura.
This needs to be added in the alternative text. So visitors can grasp the context behind the scene.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Aura?type=revision&diff=8167926&oldid=8167924

Should we not add that this is simply depending on the context? Users may give any nonqualified aura directly to social influencing, even though it may also not qualify for social influencing either.

Please excuse sudden involvement, I saw the edit in the fandom and would like to add a comment on it.

Last edited:
Can you give an example of a "nonqualified aura" that is not social influencing?
An aura, such as one signifying anger, only holds social influence when it has the power to affect or invoke fear in others (which is also a fear manipulation).

Take cinematic effects, for instance; we cannot claim that anything else inherently exerts social influence. This is the essence of my argument.

An aura, such as one signifying anger, only holds social influence when it has the power to affect or invoke fear in others (which is also a fear manipulation).

Take cinematic effects, for instance; we cannot claim that anything else inherently exerts social influence. This is the essence of my argument.
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean. Someone wouldn't get a "social influencing" ability if they don't have any effect on others. I don't think the note as written will cause people to try and establish any vague "aura" without a specific effect on other people as social influencing.

Okay. I will close this thread (and have re-locked our Aura page).

Thank you to everybody who helped out here. 🙏🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back