• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Atmospheric Reentry Velocity

I want to calculate the kinetic energy of a character over 60 meters that orbited the Earth and then crashed into it?

What is the speed I have to use?

Usually we use 11 km/s, but depending on the time of day speed could vary from 20-72 km/s, but your mileage may vary. That being said, I forgot what time of day the 20-72 km/s values are used for.

Usually we use 11 km/s, but depending on the time of day speed could vary from 20-72 km/s, but your mileage may vary. That being said, I forgot what time of day the 20-72 km/s values are used for.
Didn't we scrap that time of the day idea again?
IIRC that was about which side the approach was from (day or nightside) for a meteor coming from far in the solar system and not about where it landed.

Didn't we scrap that time of the day idea again?
IIRC that was about which side the approach was from (day or nightside) for a meteor coming from far in the solar system and not about where it landed.
Did we? I don't remember. Nor do I remember anything about the spot where it lands.

So it's about from which side the approach comes in then?

I can't find the thread/article about the night/day velocities anymore, so I can't check to say for sure.

Back