• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Assistance tiering cosmology.

For reference this is Michael Moorcocks Multiverse.

Firstly we have infinite universes.

“In an infinite universe, all may become real sooner or later. Yet it is always up to mankind to make real what it really wishes to be real.”
― Michael Moorcock, The Warlord of the Air (A Nomad of the Time Streams Novel)

Now the weird thing is he refers to the Multiverse as 'Quasi Infinite', 'Near Infinite' and straight up 'Infinite' in different quotes.

"While the Eternal Champion is, indeed, the servant of the Balance, which is why he fights sometimes for Law, sometimes for Chaos, it is possible for two of his incarnations to exist on the same plane. There's some suggestion, I'd say, that Gaynor the Damned was once a Knight of the Balance and possibly an incarnation of the Eternal Champion. Perhaps he's the Champion who refused his destiny ? The multiverse, as explained in MM's Multiverse graphic novel, consists of an infinite number of variations of the same universe -- each divided by infinitely tiny differences -- only at some distance apart are the worlds radically different. Champions can move across these worlds by a variety of means, usually in service of the Balance, which, it's fair to say, is probably the only constant throughout the multiverse."

"Whoops. A time loop, no doubt. Interesting. Generally most people's favourite character in my stuff IS the one they read first, at least as far as the fantasy is concerned. Some people read the fantasy first and then came to like the non-fantasy, such as Mother London, better and probably a few even read Mother London first and then went to look at the fantasy. I'm always interested to read peoples' accounts of how they came to my books, though, as Red Arrow says, it's not a debate I can make much of a useful contribution to. My favourite of my fantasy characters is Elric, but I think my favourites of my non-fantasy characters have to be Mrs Cornelius and Joseph Kiss. Given that they once lived so close, it's a shame they never got to meet!
The reason for offering different demises for characters is to indicate that I am only selecting one strand from one manifestation of the EC.
There are many others, where Elric had a dull, uneventful life and died of old age, for instance, or where Corum didn't die at the end of the second sequence, but died violently in some other alternative of his world.
The multiverse is infinite. The stories in it are infinite. Occasionally those stories intersect. What can I say ? I have a complicated brain."

"I THINK ITS FAIR to say that I invented the Multiverse. John Clute in the SF Encyclopedia says John Cowper Powys (a Welsh writer for whom I have considerable admiration) used the term before me in All and Everything, but Powys, who could me write me under the table, was really not using the term in the sense that I applied it — to describe a near-infinite nest of universes, each only marginally different from the next and only widely different when separated by millions of variants, where time is not linear but a field in which all these universes rest, creating the appearance of linearity within their own small sphere; here sometimes groups of universes exist in full knowledge and in full intercourse with the others, where ‘rogue’ universes can take sideways orbits, crashing through the dimensions and creating all kinds of disruptions in the delicate fabric of multiversal space-time.

Since the advent of Mandelbrot’s extraordinary observations, the creation of Chaos Theory and Chaos Mathematics, I have been able to give further coherence to my notion, by suggesting we perceive each fresh ‘plane’ of the multiverse as a ‘scale’ - that scale alone differentiates them when so close together. The greater the variance of scale, the greater the variance of history and personal life. Mass also changes with scale. We can also see the multiverse in terms of constantly renewing shoots and dances, growing more and more complex, each shoot a near-clone of the mother-branch, that branch in turn belonging to another and that to another until, a near-infinity of branches away, the trunk is joined. This fits best with observed reality but is much harder to visualize in linear terms."

"Although I’m often referred to as a science fiction writer, I’ve written comparatively few SF novels, most of them in the 1960s when I was lucky enough to think of a few ideas which turned out to be fairly accurate. In 1961 I came up with the “multiverse” – the notion of a near-infinite number of parallel universes nesting inside the other – and also predicted what we now call black holes and miniaturised computers (this was in the days when computers took up whole buildings and, logically, a better one was always a bigger one) but they weren’t based on any profound knowledge of astrophysics. If anything the ideas had more in common with metaphysics. Still, I’m proud of my predictions. Whether I’ll be so lucky with this new story remains to be seen."

In fact it's a big point in his second Ether trilogy and characters often postulate as to if the Multiverse is actually endless/infinite planes.

The reason I bring this up is because it seems as though Michael himself shares the hope of his characters that the Multiverse isn't actually infinite.

"It fundamentally came about because I (and others) didn't like the idea of the universe expanding to 'nothing'. In that it was as much a religious idea as a scientific one! But it's fun."

“Infinity? Loose talk! Infinity? The multiverse is finite. It has limits and dimensions which only a god may occasionally perceive—but they are limits and dimensions! Otherwise there would be no point in it!”

-Revenge of the Rose

Even in the same book where he constantly refers to the Multiverse as 'Quasi infinite' within the terminal Cafe which exists on a fault line that is essentially a meeting point for all the planes in the Multiverse. This is represented by the Terminal Cafe having Infinite Walls/Floors/Ceilings and Roofs.

Again in the same series where the Multiverse is consistently described as Quasi Infinite he drops another reference to it being infinite.

https://imgur.com/445dtEJ

The Multiverse is described as infinite within a cannon graphic novel.

https://imgur.com/5MlEXq9

He then goes and leave multiple references to the scales of the Multiverse eventually reaching higher infinities exactly like Corporal Pork describes previously.

In the Skrayling tree we get to a strange universe where scales become seemingly nested infinities with the Multiverse being a tree sized (albeit simultaneously measureless) object

https://imgur.com/a/rMnhwCv

With the Infinite tree being contained within a city, which is contained within a mountain etc etc

https://imgur.com/a/Ays4s32

We even have the Lost Universe which is so large that the entire Multiverse is contained as a chess board within it.

https://imgur.com/DpBIC5m

This is also seemingly confirmed via several references to Zoranastrianism cosmology that implies the mind is a reflection of the greater cosmos.

https://imgur.com/vAwFA1V

https://imgur.com/a/slfmt6z

So we seem to have a weird case here where we can kind of take any mention of 'Quasi' or 'near' infinite and just substitite 'infinite' based on what is actually depicted.

So as far as I understand it as per this we would effectively have Infinite Planes/layers arranged in a Mandlebrot fashion, spreading out into infinite directions and dimensions.

https://imgur.com/a/flzJFgN

as far as I understand it this would be High 1-B or 2-A depending on how you interpereted it.

It doesn't really matter if the Multiverse is Infinite or Near Infinite, the nesting of universes and the tree stuff makes it High 1-B and the Lost Universe would be Low 1-A.

Still reading Eric Saga so it's interesting to see all of this stuff.

It doesn't really matter if the Multiverse is Infinite or Near Infinite, the nesting of universes and the tree stuff makes it High 1-B and the Lost Universe would be Low 1-A.

Still reading Eric Saga so it's interesting to see all of this stuff.
Awesome, thanks for your input.

We also have Heaven/Hell or the First/Second Ether which seems to transcend all of this as well.

then the Grey Fees/cosmic balance itself which seems to transcend the multiverse/Lost Universe/First and Second Ether, acting as an Archetypal matter which the dreams of humanity interact with to form new universes/dreamworlds.

Back