• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Are Cryptids and Urban Legends allowed on here?

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
Just a question I was thinking of. If I wanted to put say, Bigfoot, the Jersey Devil, or the Tailypo monster on here, could I? Seems like if so, it would've been done by now, so I decided to ask first.

Slenderman isn't allowed, and he is a creepypasta... so maybe the Urban Legends won't be allowed due having a similar nature

Slenderman is more of a meme, that's why he isn't allowed I think. Regular non-meme Urban Legends would most likely be allowed.

Eh... Homestuck and Undertale are living memes and are here. Slenderman isn't here because he really can't be defined if I can remember

I too have been wanting to make profiles based off Cryptids (i'm a huge cryptozoology and alien buff). I guess their could be issue with conflicting reports, but I don't think that be a huge issue.

@69 Not the same thing at all. Having Memes =/= Being a Meme. IIRC There is no true canon for Slenderman, much like most of the memes today. Which means it's impossible to have a profile for him.

Also we had characters vaguer than Slenderman so I don't see why he would be forbidden because of that.

The requirement would pretty much be for there to be some work or gathering of works that defines the canon of all information about the character, were everything not part of this is non-canon. And this work has to be of notable popularity.

So an Urban legend itself probably doesn't qualify.

What you can do is to take the character "Bigfoot" out of a published (read official and/or notable) work about him, though (pretty sure such things exists). Basically get yourself some text written about him and base everything just on that.

Why do we take Mythology then? There is no set canon for most Mythology, only some very common "head canon". Even worse with some Mythology being purely through mouth-to-mouth

Well, the above is basically my way of reading "should originate from notable or popular works".

In other words a work it must be.

Still mythology are mostly past religions and as such by curch more or less have a unchanging canon, similar how there are many different teachings about christanity, but at the same time certain core elements are universally canon. (well christianity is a lot more streamlined)

In other words other than for most urban legends you can not simply make something new canon, by making it popular.

While it's true, we still have some rather modern Mythology here such as Santas Claus. But I can understand why we do it this way.

Well, personally I prefer not to feature memes, but sufficiently popular/notable myths, such as Santa Claus, are probably more acceptable.

I am uncertain if we have enough coherent information available about Bigfoot, the Jersey Devil, or the Tailypo monster to make profiles for them, and the latter two also seem very obscure.

Other than Bigfoot, I was using them solely for examples. And don't worry. I wasn't thinking of things like Slenderman or Jeff the Killer. I recall us having them last year. They were deleted for a reason.

Well, it is often hard to define where exactly to draw the line, but as a rule of thumb, we should only feature characters from notable official works, and very mainstream myths, that we know enough about to evaluate approriate statistics.

Jersey Devil is really famous in the US, but I guess it makes sense it may not be known elsewhere. Bigfoot might be a bit to inconsistent to have a page (some "legends" put him at cosmic levels) but Jersey Devil is probably consistent enough to have a complete profile. I haven't heard much on Tailypo monster, which is weird since I live right where that thing is most sighted, oh well.

On a similar subject, would you think Alien profiles would be allowed? Cause I love reading about alleged sightings and "Modern Mythology" on Aliens and they have some really impressive feats. The Nordics have been stated to be higher dimensional and the "Lion People" have been stated to be 9 dimensional entities. I understand if they're not allowed/to obscure though.

Well, we need a degree of notability and coherence to feature a character, or we open bad doors for allowing anything in the wiki, so Santa Claus and written/researched mythology are okay, but we have to be careful with the slippery slope.

Understandable. Would the most well known Alien species (Greys, Reptillians, arguably Nordics) be allowed then? Again if they're not then I understand.

I do not know. Are there high-quality books written about the myths surrounding them?

Back