• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Angsizing Formula 2.0

While trying to create a new angsizing formula for more accurate results, I discovered that Google Earth provides the distance from the camera to the ground and also indicates the length of objects on the screen. Using this information, I set out to develop a new formula. In the end, I modified the original formula to match the field of view used by the Google Earth camera.

I’d like to hear your thoughts on whether this formula could be implemented. I recalculated some cases using this new version and found that the distances were more than double those calculated with the original formula, which seems to be more accurate in most cases.

Examples
N°1

Invincible_trip_to_the_Moon_Angsizing.jpg

• 70deg: 12742 * 1080/(1411 * 2 * tan(70deg/2)) = 6,964 km
  • 35deg: 12742 * 1080 / [1411 * 2 * tan (35deg/2)] = 15,466 km (-Radius = 9.095 km)

N°2
BDDrm9I.png

• Distance to Fire Flame 70deg: 0.2275 * 667 /(56 * 2 * tan(70deg/2)) = 1.93m
  • Distance to Fire Flame 35deg: 0.2275 * 667 / [56 * 2 * tan (35deg/2)] = 4.29m

N°3
677.png

• Distance to Electro 70deg: 0.225 * 370 /(24 * 2 * tan(70deg/2)) = 2.47m
  • Distance to Electro 35deg: 0.225 * 370 / [24 * 2 * tan (35deg/2)] = 5.5m

Last edited:
Large Objects: Angsizing doesn’t account for the radius of large objects like planets, so it’s unclear whether the calculated distance is to the planet's center or surface, which isn’t ideal for certain analyses.
It will be distance to its center actually. In fact changing angle can't affect something like that, if you measure its diameter you get distance to its center in both cases.

Decreasing the angle simply requires the viewing point to be further away so that the object occupies the same portion of the screen. So it won't change context.

Last edited:
Back