• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Analyzing the speed of the MHA/BNHA verse

I mainly created this thread to prove and show that even without the calculations for this verse, it can still be considered supersonic. The other reason I created this is that apparently, some people on r/CharacterRant think MHA is only at Subsonic+ in terms of speed. This is obviously a gross downplay.

Before we can move onto the main stuff, first let’s clear up some common misconceptions first.

Iida’s 50-meter dash along with Bakugo’s 50-meter dash.

It’s important to note that Iida’s 50-meter sprint is in fact NOT his maximum speed, nor can it be used to scale or downscale the other characters. This is due to the fact that his maximum speed is his Recipro Burst. He doesn’t use this frequently due to the fact that it can stall his engines.

Moving onto Bakugo, it’s important to also make light of the fact that for the majority of the 50-meter dash he wasn’t even using his quirk to race. He was sprinting. He activated it at the last second to outpace Midoriya. It’s likely that his speed would be far higher if he used his quirk throughout the entire sprint instead of just at the end.

The only reason both Iida and Bakugo got the top speed scores in the first place was mostly due to the majority of the class not being capable of traveling at speeds above 15 MPH or even 20 MPH. Most of them can’t even use their quirks to enhance their speed. Really it’d be a stomp for anyone who had a speed quirk, to begin with.

All Might’s travels 5km in 30 seconds.

This is something that I see multiple people use to try and downplay the maximum speed of the entire verse. I’ll quickly explain the feat for anyone who hasn’t heard of it.

Basically, All For One states that All Might traveled at least 5 kilometers in 30 seconds. If we were to apply our speed formula the velocity would be 166.66 m/s or extreme FTE speeds. The problem here is that it likely didn’t take 30 seconds for All Might to travel that far. After All, For One teleported, All Might had to deal with several Nomu’s. This would vastly slow down the time it took him to travel to All For One. If you want an accurate time frame you could measure the time it took All Might to beat all the Nomu’s from the anime and subtract it from All For One’s statement of 30 seconds. Which gives us somewhere close to 15 seconds I believe.

It’s important to note that it’s stated that All Might was holding back severely so he wouldn’t reduce the surrounding city to dust via the sheer force from his takeoff or sprint. He usually never uses 100% since it always destroys the area around him. Aka, collateral damage.

So to summarize, it would be ridiculous to say that FTE is the fastest he can move when he’s stated to hold back along with the fact that it’s likely he didn’t take 30 seconds to reach his destination.

Now that we’ve finally finished clearing up these multiple misconceptions, it’s time to move onto the actual speed feats that can be used to legitimately scale this verse.

To start with, let’s just look at some simple logic. Since that’s what this site likes to use apparently.

In Chapter 16, Midoriya flicked his finger so fast he created a strong enough shockwave to the water to the point that it managed to create a whirlpool.

Most people would ignore this and just list it off as a shit ton of force that he’s producing, but I’ll quickly explain why that’s not the case.

It can be inferred that Midoriya’s Delaware Smash can be inferred to be some type of shockwave, given how Midoriya himself states that he pulled off the move via delivering a strong shock to the water, (“shock” here would be implying shockwave) along with the fact that in order to create a feat of this magnitude his finger would indeed have to flick at Mach speeds.

In order to estimate how fast a shockwave moves, I’ll just list some sources.
This basically means that Midoriya’s finger flicked at least at Mach speeds. This would prove his Delaware Smash is supersonic.

Keep in mind that his finger would have to flick at a much faster speed considering the fact that the shockwave comes way after the moment he flicks his finger. This is literally just the air pressure he produces when his finger flicks.

I also would like to mention that this is literally just him using his finger. Just his finger. His legs, arms, or hell, his body would be capable of traveling at speeds that make this look like childsplay due to the fact that finger flicks are much weaker and slower than simple kicks or a full-on sprint. You can test that out easily in real life by just comparing your finger flicking to your punches.

And if you think for one second that Midoriya is capable of traveling at Mach Speeds only at 100%, you’d be grossly wrong.

At just a measly 5% of his power, he outpaced numerous bullets from presumably AR’s which consistently travel at speeds close to or above 700-900+ m/s at just 5% of his total power. This shows that even 5% is capable of moving at Mach speeds, on short bursts of course.

And it’s not like he struggled to do this. He dodged basically all the bullets they threw at him. And there were several people aiming at him. It’s likely he did this casually.

And if anyone doubts this and says that he was aiming dodging all the bullets, look closely. Frame by frame, you can clearly see that he’s avoiding the bullets while they’re already coming straight at him. It would be a horrendous stretch to even just prove he aim dodged a couple of them, let alone all of them.

I’ll also come out and say this right now. Before anyone even mentions the fact that I’m using movie material here, I’ll shut that down real quick.
This is definitive evidence that everything in the movies is just as supervised as things in the manga by Horikoshi, as well as the fact that they’re all canon.

Iida’s Recipro Extend

The force Iida produced from the leap of his extent literally managed to crack the concrete around him while producing a shockwave. It would be impossible to fragment concrete like this via sheer force unless you’re going near Mach or at Mach speeds, at the very least.
There’s also the fact that Edgeshot is stated to transform at the speed of sound. Basically, he can go from a regular human to a straight line at supersonic speeds. This alone would prove that MHA is indeed supersonic, but there’s also the fact that All For One dodged his transformation effortlessly.

And last but not least, the final piece of evidence confirms that MHA is undoubtedly supersonic.

Midoriya literally states Shigaraki creates a shockwave by just moving.

This would be, by definition, supersonic, since I’ve shown articles that prove shockwaves basically travel at Mach speeds and above. It would literally be impossible to create a shockwave without breaking the sound barrier in some way.

Here are some other examples of characters creating shockwaves.
I’ll say this again. It would literally be impossible to jump high enough to crack concrete without breaking the sound barrier, nor would it be possible to damage an area that big without air pressure moving that fast.

Summary​

All this basically proves that MHA or BNHA is at the very least capable of moving at Mach speeds, even without calculations to support it. I’ve covered all the major and noteworthy speed feats that need addressing, and even discounting the minor stuff, there are statements that prove the high tiers are at least supersonic. I thank anyone who came across this for reading, have a good day.

This is gonna be a nice thing to reference in future actually

Good Job

interesting also seeing the Mach 4-5 ball argument I remember seeing that a long time ago

A good thing to mention would also be Nine and Gentle being capable of reacting to Air Force which are shockwave attacks

Last edited:
When it comes to shockwaves and sonic booms, the characters who have created them by simply moving in the manga (leaving out the movies) are: Endeavor training arc Bakugo, Deku, current Shigaraki and Iida. So anyone who scale to them in movement speed is supersonic. And I think a lot of people would scale to or above Endeavor training arc Bakugo.

As for reactions, most of them are based on predictions or combat experience. That's where Nighteye, Mirio, Overhaul, etc get supersonic ratings but I don't think anyone in the verse can hit such speed in movement without a speed quirk or strength enhancing quirk. I think Mirio can only hit such speeds via acceleration with Phantom Menace.

Rappa has punches compared to bullets, but his quirk strong shoulder doesn't affect any other part of his body apart from his arms. As long as you are out of reach and have better footwork than him, you could win. His punches are also set in a given way as analyzed by Knuckleduster.

From this type of scaling:

- Black Nomus have supersonic combat speed from keeping up with heroes like Endeavor, Mirko, Hawks, etc who would scale above Endeavor training arc Bakugo in speed. Not a single Nomu with a speed quirk has appeared so far so we can assume this is their base speed from biological enhancement. We have also seen that Near High-ends can keep up with current Iida in combat who's several times faster then Stain arc Iida.

- Anyone who scales to them in combat speed like Nejire could also get the same rating.

Honestly, I don't find the concept of supersonic in MHA or any verse as impressive. What I'm usually left wondering is by how much are they faster cause authors usually jump from: wow, supersonic so impressive to the character can dodge lightning and before you know it you get Lightspeed and FTL yet there's a humongous gap between these speed tiers, especially between supersonic and lightning speed. I remember in Naruto Lee hit supersonic & wow impressive, then In Shippuden, Zetsu says it's impossible to dodge Natural lightning but by war arc we get Lightfang feat. There's also the wierd Lightspeed Haku feats in Part 1 and more laser outpacing feats in Boruto. Like these speed tiers are in completely different dimensions.

Honestly, I don't find the concept of supersonic in MHA or any verse as impressive. What I'm usually left wondering is by how much are they faster cause authors usually jump from: wow, supersonic so impressive to the character can dodge lightning and before you know it you get Lightspeed and FTL yet there's a humongous gap between these speed tiers, especially between supersonic and lightning speed. I remember in Naruto Lee hit supersonic & wow impressive, then In Shippuden, Zetsu says it's impossible to dodge Natural lightning but by war arc we get Lightfang feat. There's also the wierd Lightspeed Haku feats in Part 1 and more laser outpacing feats in Boruto. Like these speed tiers are in completely different dimensions
It’s honestly even more ludicrous when these MHS+ verses will bring up thing like people catching on fire via pure speed and view it as impressive or mention that X character can create a sonic boom

Or things like X characters attack can travel a impressive 5km in an instant even tho Massively Hypersonic would casually travel that distance before a peak human could react.Therefore not even being worth noting

It’s the same as when planet busters are surprised a character can tank lava or the suns core and call it impressive

It’s also dumb when verses literally start out as ftl from the get go then proceed to have conventional weapons used

It’s generally because authors don’t consider the implications of such speeds(Which is the issue with calcing non natural lightning and light beams a lot the time)some do, like the To aru franchise specifically mentioning the coin railgun is 1030m/s.Then recently after technically WoG saying Its 3x the speed of sound insuring us anyone who reacted to it is at least supersonic+

Last edited:
Useless list I did:

Mobility/Movement/Speed Quirks and Techniques

I'll just split this into 3 parts: Teleportation, Speed and Flight. I think this might be the last one I do because I think I've run out of topics: I did one for Top10/Best hax quirks, vitality quirks, strength quirks and defense quirks so I guess mobility is the only category left.

- A. - Teleportation - There are 2 teleportation abilities in the quirk:

1.Warpgate - this is naturally stronger as it can pretty much open a gate anywhere. It can also open multiple gates at once, enclose people within it and teleport multiple people.

2.Warp - the black too quirk. Apart from the process which seems pretty terrible coughing up black goo, its a pretty good quirk though it is more limited compared to Warpgate.

- B. - Flight Quirks - there are several flight quirks in the series or techniques that grant their users flight.

3.Flight

4.Float

5.Zero Gravity

6.Leap - Pop Step's quirk

7.Fierce Wings - basically made Hawks one of the faster characters in the verse. Also enhances his perception as he can even sense small vibrations with them.

8.Dark Shadow - Tokoyami finally entered the list of fliers in the class.

9.Poltergeist - 1B enters the chat

10.Lizard Tail Splitter - another quirk from 1B that allows the user to fly

11.Explosion - Bakugo basically uses his quirk to fly pretty well

.........Some quirks I'd forgotten:

(i).Ryukyu's Dragon quirk grants her flight

(ii).Foldabody - Edgeshot can transform at supersonic speeds and be does use it for movement.

(iii).Ice quirks - Todoroki can use his ice to glide at high speeds while Geten uses his to basically levitate and fly.

(iv).Air Walk

- C. - General Speed Quirks and Techniques

12.OFA - naturally boosts the users physical stats including speed.

13.Overclock - everyone knows it by now. Enhances movement speed + perception making the user basically perceive stuff in slow motion.

14.Rabbit - Mirko - mentioned alongside Hawks by Best Jeanist's pilot on speed type heroes.

15.Slide and Glide - Koichi's quirk which basically got a boost recently and he even got temporary flight. It is currently basically on par with Overclock in the recent arc.

16.Engine: with its techniques Burst, Turbo, Extend + Iida's new mufflers.

17.Jet : this should be on the Flight list considering Torino basically uses it to fly.

18.Flashfire Steps: this is a technique among Endeavor's arsenal that grants him supersonic speed but he can only use it on the ground.

19.Whirlwind - Inasa - Shoukdbe in the flight list too. Speedwise he basically uses the wind to push himself and glide.

20.Phantom Menace - Not a quirk but Mirio's high-speed acceleration technique.

21.Bat - Bat villain's quirk from Vigilantes though the guy was taking drugs. He was one of those Next level villains. He had superspeed both when running and even later when he could fly. He was at least faster then Tensei.

22.Majestic too (flight category) since he can also fly

Back