• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

An idea

I have an idea for a change we can make to this wiki. Instead of doing fights in threads in the forum, i was wondering if we could do VS battles on actual pages. Of course, this would complicate things. However, this wiki does have "VS battles" in the name, which might imply we do battles. (Though technically you do already, they're not easily found and are a lengthy debate topic instead of an actual battle.)

Now, how could these battles work? I suggest something similar to how Death Battle does things. We list powers, feats and abilities for each character and then describe how a battle might play out. After that, we tell WHY the winner won. But how do we prevent bias? Simple, someone who did not create either character is the one who conducts the battle.

This is merely a suggestion. The creators of the wiki likely thought about this before, to which i ask- why not? Im genuinly curious.

Hmm. Well we KIND OF considered doing something about this a while back. I'm not against this idea but we have had been alright with just doing......well what VS Battles have done before.

I'll highlight this to see what others could say. If that doesn't work, we can message and link them to here.

This is an interesting idea...

Do you mean, like the DBF wiki does? Because, as is, the battles we have here are vastly too short to be on their own pages. Do you mean, like, write fights? Because that would be cool, don't get me wrong, but it would also be massively departing from what this wiki is about.

Stevethebarbarian said:
Do you mean, like the DBF wiki does? Because, as is, the battles we have here are vastly too short to be on their own pages. Do you mean, like, write fights? Because that would be cool, don't get me wrong, but it would also be massively departing from what this wiki is about.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. What I meant is, I'm neutral to the idea. It would just the the single biggest change this wiki has ever had.

Stevethebarbarian said:
Stevethebarbarian said:
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. What I meant is, I'm neutral to the idea. It would just the the single biggest change this wiki has ever had.
In my eyes, it would add much more substance to the wiki. Right now, we're just kinda "there". Like:

"Oh, this is interesting. Ill check it out." *later* "Well that was nice, but theres nothing more here. Bye!"

What i mean is, we're basically a storage place for everyone and their FCs/OCs, nothing more. And while that isnt a bad thing, our name doesnt represent what we are.

FC/OC VS Battles Wiki.

In my eyes, it would add a lot of good to the wiki and little bad, with an awkward transition phase in the middle. I say we go for it, but it isnt my decision to make.

I don't know what to say about this. I mean, it's cool, but... it's like... not what we are. The VS battles in the title refer to knowing who would win, not actually writing fights. This is a big deal, man.

Steve does have a point here, Grn.

I don't have a issue with this idea, yes. But as Steve said, it's not exactly what we are known for. It's true that we have the name VS Battles in our title but that's more of knowing who wins and not actually writing fights.

It's an alright idea but making the fights itself? Dang. Even if we're alright with doing that, that will have to be a big major change.

I mean, I'd be happy to write fights over here, I think it would be fun, but I'm not sure that it would really work. Remember, this is just an offshoot of the Vs Battles wiki, just like Joke Battles, and completely changing would really throw a wrench into things. I personally recommend only making such a change if every admin here is 100% unanimous.

In that vein of argument, I give my vote to yes, allow Vs Battles to be written on this wiki.

Hmm. Well i'll see what Prom, Leon, and i suppose what Abbadon says.

Thing is i don't mind such a change here if everyone is alright doing something likes this.

Also i've been told by Kavpeny in private that yes, we can definitely use characters based from the main Battles site itself. Of course we cannot link results that have been done here to there but we can do it here which is fine.

Though it's probably somewhat pointless to make such a notion like this when we've already been doing plenty of fights that involve official characters anyway. This is throw it in here.

It just came to me that the FC/OC wiki dosen't neccecarily have to go against the Vs Battles wiki in this subject. This could be in part the battles hub for the entire Vs Battles community. As in, if somebody wanted to write Naruto Vs Luffy, then they could come here to write it, or, if they wanted to write Nanashi vs Dante Anthony Redgrave, for instance, they could come here, or if they wanted to write John Cena vs Chuck Norris, they could do it here.

Or, alternately, we could create a whole new Vs Battles Battles wiki.

Either would be a good idea, in my opinion, because since the Vs Battles comminity is generally at odds with DBF.

Perhaps.

Thing is this is primarily a place for Fan and Original Characters. In terms of battles, we can use official canon characters to fight our original characters. That's allowed. But if it's all just official characters, then that should only be done over at places like Deviantart or Death Battle Fanon wikia.

Create a new Vs Battles Battles wiki? Don't know. Will have to ask Kavpeny about it. He's likely going to say no on the makings of it.

That and it's going to be hard having to check up on it.

Writing fights here can be an option that i don't mind doing, however. Same thing with allowing OC vs OC, FC vs FC, FC vs OC, and FC/OC vs Official Canon characters being made.

I actually have to agree with you here. Just the types of fights you listed. It would get a little crazy if we did everything, now that I'm thinking about it.

Hmm, yes. I mean it's going to be freaking crazy if this became a mandatory thing, so if allowed for this to happen, we can perhaps make this as a potential option.

Like if people prefer writing out the fight, they can do so. If they prefer doing it the old style way, they can go rite ahead.

I personally feel that any given written fight should also have a threat to accompany it, or it could just be the thread, but not just the fight.

Stevethebarbarian said:
I personally feel that any given written fight should also have a threat to accompany it, or it could just be the thread, but not just the fight.
A threat? What do you mean?

You mean that in case someone happens to make a written fight only to find out that it was a stomp or spite?

Stevethebarbarian said:
LOL, just a typo, I meant "thread."
This mofo lol. XD

But yeah now that you corrected yourself, your saying that the fight should also have a thread yes?

Yeah. We don't want to completely depart from what we've always done. We also want to diffrienciate ourselves from DBF, and if people do solo research, then we'd pretty much be exactly like them, minus Wiz and Boomstick.

That's true. In any case, you can try to ask Promestei and Abbadon the Chaos King for more input.

EVenom is pretty much not availible at the moment though it would have greatly helped if he was around.

So for my full opinion on this: I would not mind this so long as it's something that others would want to do OR people are able enough to write fights and post them on threads sort of like how Death Battle Fanon wiki does theres.

Skodwarde The Almighty said:
Maybe like post a story after a thread battle has concluded? I dunno.
Kind of what I was thinking. Then again, I feel that the writer of the fight should have the final say on who wins.

Also, cool to see you here Skod. Always great to see new reliable users.

Oh forgot Kavpeny as well, thanks for reminding me of him. Heh whoops. ^^;

Yeah given that Kavpeny is also my consultant, i'd say it's best to get his opinion on this as well. That would also be a wise choice to do.

And for the writer to have the final say on who wins? Well that depends. So long as they don't act biased or make a match where they're character wins easily against another OC/FC or even an official character, i'm fine with that.

Yeah, as long as it isn't a stomp or spite battle, everything should be allowed, and as long as it isn't a reverse stomp, the writer of the fight should be allowed to have whoever the want to win, win.

Stevethebarbarian said:
Yeah, as long as it isn't a stomp or spite battle, everything should be allowed, and as long as it isn't a reverse stomp, the writer of the fight should be allowed to have whoever the want to win, win.
Exactly. Like if for example one of my characters was put in a written fight and they lost, i would not mind. Of course if it turns out that, for example, the writer had my character die or lose JUST BECAUSE he or she didn't like them (for whatever reason), then the fight will not be added at all. Especially if the fight was poorly made and was turned into a stomp or spite in purpose.

Agreed. And having no rule that says fights have to end in death can help prevent rage over fights, given that it's a lot easier to read your beloved hand-crafted characters losing than reading them dying.

Stevethebarbarian said:
Agreed. And having no rule that says fights have to end in death can help prevent rage over fights, given that it's a lot easier to read your beloved hand-crafted characters losing than reading them dying.
And that's also true. Like fights don't really have to end in death. Cause there like plenty of other things one can do other than just straight up kill someone.

There's BFR, incapacitation, knock out......well that's all i normally know when it comes to battles but yeah, you probably get the point.

Right. I mean, there are a lot of pros. It's just... a big change. Like, tons bigger than allowing Fan Characters from existing series, and we spent well over a week discussing that.

Same thing with allowing the possibility of allowing fan versions of official characters back onto here (that of which is still being on the thinking boards, btw).

But yeah, allowing somehting like this is going to be a HUGH change indeed. And it actually depends if someone is willing to write a fight about this + other factors like whats said about the fights not being written as a stomp or the writer being biased or such and so on...

Yeah. In any case, we should honestly get Prom, Abbadon, and Kavpeny to look at this. You wanna do the messaging here?

I'm completely good with this. (Maybe it'd be best to do such matches on blog posts?)

Of course, permission would have to be granted before someone wrote a battle including another person's character.

Stevethebarbarian said:
Its not like when they die, they die permenetly though. Its clearly not like "Oh, your character lost. What a shame. Alrighty then, time to delete them from the wiki." When it comes to death of your OC, IMO, just suck it up and dont whine. They lost for a reason. (Now if the battle was spite/bias thats a completely different story)

Grnmachine1 said:
Its not like when they die, they die permenetly though. Its clearly not like "Oh, your character lost. What a shame. Alrighty then, time to delete them from the wiki." When it comes to death of your OC, IMO, just suck it up and dont whine. They lost for a reason. (Now if the battle was spite/bias thats a completely different story)
Of course.

And as for you Prom, I am neutral to wether they happen on blogs.

Also, obviously, yes, you would need permission.

Grnmachine1 said:
Stevethebarbarian said:
I too also agree with the last parts. I mean i really don't mind if my character lost cause it's a fight and if they lose, they lose. All i would care about is if they had a good fight and gave some trouble to their opponent. That's all that i would care about.

And yeah, that's a completely different story if someone made a battle full of spite/bias against one character.

Something like this would require fanon authors like myself, Cross, etc... to do, unless we are also suggesting an RP style system which I'm ok with here.

I have no problems with the implementation of this suggestion. We can try and see how it works out (there shouldn't be any problems IMO). Also, God forbid, in the worst case scenario, this decision can be reverted, no?

I would, however, strongly recommend laying out proper guidelines/policies before the implementation, since if done correctly and in a structural manner, this change has the potential to boost the community significantly.

In particular, there should be a VERY strict policy of not creating FC/OC characters with the sole intention of bashing on characters of popular franchises. Spite or stomp threads fuelled by blind character-hating will be a legitimate concern if this is implemented, hence there must be solid protocols to keep such things in check.

Back