• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

An "Absolute Potential" profile and why it's needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has come to my attention that we don't have a Powers and Abilities page for the concept of infinite potential for growth. I would've done it myself but I was told I need to ask here first.

What is Absolute Potential?
Imagine there are two characters of identical strength who have a single year to prepare to fight each other. Both fighters hit the gym every day from now until then.
  • Fighter 1 eventually plateaus in his strength. He reaches a limit to his growth like humans do and starts to get diminishing gains from his training, and eventually barely gets any stronger day by day at all.
  • Fighter 2, on the other hand, never diminishes his gains. There is no such plateau for him, and as such he can get stronger and stronger every day with no limit.
Fighter 2 instagibs Fighter 1 with a single attack. This is the importance of Absolute Potential.

Note this is not an offshoot of Accelerated Development, unlike it, the ability does not increase the rate at which they raise their statistics, it simply guarantees that the rate will never stop.

I made a mockup of what such a page would look like, should it be accepted that this is necessary.

It doesn't seem like an actual ability to me and it can be argued to apply either to every character who keeps growing during the plot without any apparent limit, or to no one because we don't know when the cap will be reached.

It also seems to blurry and subject to plenty of arbitrary judgement. Sometimes it's not even a power, just a way for the story to progress or to just equalize the strength of characters.

To me it's just too niche and not really necessary, it can perfectly be covered by other stuff (either P&A, intelligence or such) if some character actually stands out in that regard.

Eh, that sounds pointless to me. At most its utility would be gauging how far a character's growth reaches compared to another, usually when it's paired up with Accelerated Development, but then in such cases the disparity between one and the other could easily be inferred from information already on the profiles or asked about on a thread, if the topic comes up.

We ain't the Powerlisting wiki brother, make an ability that actually makes sense and isn't pointless.

This more or less just feels like it's combining Immortality/Longevity with Accelerated Development. Not any specific power that is new that isn't covered by stuff we already have or can be combined to essentially be equivalent to it.

This more or less just feels like it's combining Immortality/Longevity with Accelerated Development. Not any specific power that is new that isn't covered by stuff we already have or can be combined to essentially be equivalent to it.
Note this is not an offshoot of Accelerated Development, unlike it, the ability does not increase the rate at which they raise their statistics, it simply guarantees that the rate will never stop.

It doesn't seem like an actual ability to me and it can be argued to apply either to every character who keeps growing during the plot without any apparent limit, or to no one because we don't know when the cap will be reached.

It also seems to blurry and subject to plenty of arbitrary judgement. Sometimes it's not even a power, just a way for the story to progress or to just equalize the strength of characters.

To me it's just too niche and not really necessary, it can perfectly be covered by other stuff (either P&A, intelligence or such) if some character actually stands out in that regard.
Obviously a shit ton of anime protagonists are never gonna stop growing any time soon because plot but this would only go towards characters who are confirmed to never ever stop growing.

I agree with the others, despite presentation this is just a reskinning of existent abilities. The specific context of one's accelerated development, reactive evolution, etc can be explained on the page- we use blanket abilities for a reason, so that they can cover situations such as this. I'm against this.

I agree with the others, despite presentation this is just a reskinning of existent abilities. The specific context of one's accelerated development, reactive evolution, etc can be explained on the page- we use blanket abilities for a reason, so that they can cover situations such as this. I'm against this.
can this just be added as like a sub-type on the existing AD page?

can this just be added as like a sub-type on the existing AD page?
I don't really see the point. It's just the extent to which that works- it's not like subtypes for other powers like, say, Self-Sustenance, which is just outright a different functionality of the ability.

I don't really see the point. It's just the extent to which that works- it's not like subtypes for other powers like, say, Self-Sustenance, which is just outright a different functionality of the ability.
It’s an important distinction for an AD that is proven to be actually limitless, given the impact it has on vs threads
There’s no point in not having an official acknowledgement of the difference between a limited and unlimited AD
anyways that is all I will say here since this is locked to staff, but I just really had to get my 2 cents in given that I’ve seen examples of the distinction many times before.

There are many important distinctions that a profile can well and fully explain. We don't need the sub-categorization any more than we need a sub-categorization for elemental abilities that you can launch as projectiles.

The point is maintaining blanket statements. In adding pointless sub-categories, we open the gates to further pointless sub-categories; if something is suggested that we did not cover with the one (1) sub-category asked for here, then we would be obliged to probably add that, given the precedent set here. Pages would need revising, all because we added literally useless sub-categories that do not serve any actual function besides offering an individual the opportunity to not explain the ability on the page.

We don't need it, we would not particularly even benefit from it.

This IS a blanket statement. It's not like I'm pointing out that we have Fire Manipulation and Magma Manipulation as pages and I'm trying to turn fiery magma or magma-y fire manipulation into a page or anything. Absolute Potential doesn't naturally have anything to do with Accelerated Development, it just makes the Absolute Potential that much more efficient if a character happens to have both.

Accelerated Development is the ability to raise ones statistics and/or abilities at a much faster pace than a normal character in the setting is able to.
The only difference is that one is always rising and is normally tied to the sort of anime I would blacklist in terms of CRT evaluation.

I'm opposed. Simple as.

I'm also opposed to this for the reasons mentioned above. This strikes me as unnecessary and the Accelerated Development already covers everything for this.

The only difference is that one is always rising and is normally tied to the sort of anime I would blacklist in terms of CRT evaluation.

I'm opposed. Simple as.
Yeah, the other details also implies this as being a limitation/weakness rather than a power. Like someone reaching Planet level via powering up and is never going to get any stronger than that. I wouldn't even call that an ability but just some static power level of a strong character who has a lack of Accelerated Development. Or a character who used to have it but are limited to the point where they lose it if they get too strong.

Bambu locked this thread earlier.

Thank you to everybody who helped out here. 🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back