• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Agatha vs. Allister: Ghost-type Trainers Showdown

It doesn't have Levitate anymore, I went with it having Cursed Body or whatever it has now. Actually, does Disable stay after the user is KO'd? I know it doesn't in gameplay, but it's worth asking cause if Dusknoir disables Shadow Ball Gengar will give Levitate to Runerigus via Shadow Punch

It's "immunity to earth manipulation (within reason)", i.e. it depends on case by case, and this time I think it works, not only because it's a Pokémon battle, but also because Earthquake is like a shockwave, which shouldn't hurt Gengar (at least if the Indigo Plateau doesn't crumble).

I think disable should go away with the user, following game mechanics in this case is safe.

Either way I don't think it's too important as Runerigus should be Allister's pick due to the other reasons it wins. Also, while it is true that Agatha's Pokèmon are more experienced and possibly better trained, I'll ignore that for now, as I don't believe it would make a huge difference, as Allister is also a very good trainer in his own right.

Let's resume

2-1, but Golbat is probably worn down. Now, I'm gonna assume Trick Room has also ran out or been destroyed by now, though I'm unsure. Either way, I see Allister switching to Cursola- it's got a supereffective Ancient Power and can lower Golbat's already unimpressive attack with Strength Sap. Now, Strength Sap is a huge issue, but I don't believe it comes into play yet, as Cursola easily slaps away Golbat- I'm gonna bank on Ancient Power not activating, as that's a relatively low chance.

2-2, and Cursola's fresh. Hell, maybe it's taken just enough hits for Weak Armor to have come into play, and while it's frail now, it's also real fast, and Trick Room has certainly ran out by now. Furthermore, Agatha might mistake it as a Rock/Ghost type, due to its appearance and Ancient Power. Very bad situation for her.

Now, all of Agatha's Pokèmon have an answer to a Rock/Ghost Pokèmon. Gengar and Haunter can abuse sleep, and Arbok can use Iron Tail... except it can't, at least not super-effectively. Now, while it will still do a good amount of damage and weaken its defenses, Cursola can heal that off and weaken Arbok. So here's where I stop and ask for second opinions- What do you think she'll do? This is obviously super important, probably the most important move in the match.

Either way I don't think it's too important as Runerigus should be Allister's pick due to the other reasons it wins. Also, while it is true that Agatha's Pokèmon are more experienced and possibly better trained, I'll ignore that for now, as I don't believe it would make a huge difference, as Allister is also a very good trainer in his own right.

Let's resume

2-1, but Golbat is probably worn down. Now, I'm gonna assume Trick Room has also ran out or been destroyed by now, though I'm unsure. Either way, I see Allister switching to Cursola- it's got a supereffective Ancient Power and can lower Golbat's already unimpressive attack with Strength Sap. Now, Strength Sap is a huge issue, but I don't believe it comes into play yet, as Cursola easily slaps away Golbat- I'm gonna bank on Ancient Power not activating, as that's a relatively low chance.

2-2, and Cursola's fresh. Hell, maybe it's taken just enough hits for Weak Armor to have come into play, and while it's frail now, it's also real fast, and Trick Room has certainly ran out by now. Furthermore, Agatha might mistake it as a Rock/Ghost type, due to its appearance and Ancient Power. Very bad situation for her.

Now, all of Agatha's Pokèmon have an answer to a Rock/Ghost Pokèmon. Gengar and Haunter can abuse sleep, and Arbok can use Iron Tail... except it can't, at least not super-effectively. Now, while it will still do a good amount of damage and weaken its defenses, Cursola can heal that off and weaken Arbok. So here's where I stop and ask for second opinions- What do you think she'll do? This is obviously super important, probably the most important move in the match.
It’s either that she send out Haunter or Arbok. Possibly Gengar but she would usually make him go last.

It depends on how weaker Cursola got, as it may go down with a single hit.

Anyway, I think Agatha would send Haunter, because she may want to preserve Arbok and not remain with two similar Pokémon, in case she needs a different one.

Good logic, I don't think it's 100% guaranteed, but it does make sense. Well, I'm gonna be voting Agatha here, and here's why.

Alright 2-2, Agatha's Haunter is kinda great here. Cursola's build is not meant for dealing out extreme amounts of damage, and that's amazing, cause even if Haunter misses Hypnosis, it'll be able to use it again. If it uses Hypnosis -> Mean Look -> Curse and then starts spamming Dream Eater it's gonna come out of this fight in tip-top shape, and sleep does last a while in the anime I believe. Easy clap.

3-2, Allister sends out Chandelure, as Gengar is weak to Dream Eater, but it ain't an easy fight. Chandelure is not gonna use its inherent hax cause it's a friendly match, not a fight to the death. Will-O-Wisp is near worthless as Haunter has no direct attacks, but Allister knows that. A single Shadow Ball can one-shot Haunter with ease, and Heat Wave is very powerful AOE. However, Haunter can also put Chandelure to sleep, so it's basically a coin flip- whichever tags the other first wins. While it is true Hypnosis is "instantaneous", it does take some staring and magicking to do, so I do believe Chandelure has a good chance of landing a hit here.

If Haunter wins, Agatha's got the match. Assuming it can't do the same to Allister's Gengar, and then beats Arbok as well (which, despite Arbok's Bite, is very likely), Agatha's own Gengar should beat it. They basically have the same moveset, but Agatha's has a Sitrus Berry, which is a nice advantage, and we've agreed it's slightly more experienced. In that case, Agatha wins most of the time.

If Chandelure wins, then Arbok has a decent chance against it with Bite, and if Arbok loses as well I think Agatha's Gengar can pull off the clutch comeback a decent percentage of times. It can easily take out a weakened Chandelure, and I've explained the advantages it has over Allister's Gengar already. Now, this one matchup is fairly even, by itself I'd call it an incon, but when you put them together, I think Agatha wins most of the time in a fairly close match.

Best analysis ever.

Also,I may write in the op that the rules are those of a Pokémon battle, not a death match.

I'd forgotten how fun it was to analyse trainer matches, and as long as they're about even in power it's basically the same as an in-game match, which is really nice since I used to spend a lot of time on Pokèmon Showdown.

I mean it was kinda implied already but I think that's good to clarify yeah

Agatha FRA, lads

The battle was over and Agatha came out victorious, but not without some difficulties.
Allister appeared to be sad, but he was also happy to have had the chance to fight such a legendary Ghost-type trainer, and Agatha too enjoyed a battle against a promising trainer and his unusual Pokémon. They didn't need words too understand each other's respect.
A new tournament in Galar was about to be held, and Allister had to return to his region, ready to apply what he learned from this battle. When the kid left the room, Agatha smiled, knowing that the future of Ghost-type Pokémon was in good hands.

I mean the dragon type kinda steps on all late game gyms except for maybe Sabrina

Back