• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Additional value to calculate destruction of materials: Yield strength

Bump.

To clarify, these are following are the Yield strength values that have been brought up in this thread.

250 MPa value is from A36 steel according to wikipedia, see table at the bottom. This was meant just to illustrate as the values in those tables aren't the ones we currently use.

170 MPa value is the one used for the batman calc I brought up as an example.

186 MPa value comes from the same site the blog from narutoforums (which we currently utilize values from) uses as a source.

The third one seems most consistent with what we currently use but the one from the batman calculation is also good enough, the yield strength of A36 steel exceeds our current fragmentation values so I don't think it should be used.

I am still not sure what is being suggested here or how it would help the wiki to apply it.

Basically methods of calculating exceeding the elasticity of a material. Bending stuff. Common for low-tiers, most notably characters like Batman who bend iron bars. I'm largely waiting for DontTalk as this is a bit disjoined from what I'd call my deal, and I'm unsure of how the suggested calc method accounts for volume of "bent" material.

I was just listing the values that were brought up in the thread.

I'm no calc member, but to summarize:

Some calculations use values such as Shear Strength and Compressive Strength to figure out how much energy is necessary to fragment and pulverize certain materials (ie: steel).

Yield Strength is the minimum amount of force necessary for a material to be dented/deformed/bent out of shape, so by utilizing those values we could infer the energy in joules necessary to do so

Shear, Compressive, and Yield strength are all measured by the same unit that is Mega Pascals or MPa which we convert to Joules per cm3 or j/cc, so the methodology to apply these values would be the same as the one outlined in the Volume, Mass,Destruction Values section of the Calculations page.

In short, this adds a new "destruction value" to the list that allows us to figure out how much energy is necessary to bend objects beyond repair which is a common occurence in fiction and would be useful for future calculations.

Yes, and that's all good, but how would you calculate the volume of area "bent"? it isn't like destruction, where the whole thing is destroyed to some degree or another, or at least you can get a clear view of how much of the thing is destroyed. Do we only count the folded bit? If you bend a 1-meter rod of pure iron at the middle point, how much of that do we count as bent material?

This is why I am waiting for DontTalk.

Not what I was asking.

@Mr. Bambu

Have you asked DontTalkDT to comment here?

You can ask Executor N0 as well in any case. He is also a very skilled mathematician.

DontTalkDT said:
Engineering is far from what I am knowledgeable about, but I suppose the idea doesn't seem worse than what we already make use of.
DontTalk says he's not knowledgeable about engineering.

Okay. Then you will have to ask all of the other calc group members, along with Assaltwaffle and Kaltias, for help.

Back