• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About the Pain immunity...

Just_a_Random_Butler

Profile Enthusiast
VS Battles
Administrator
In Composite Human's profile, it says this:
Pain Manipulation immunity (CIP is a condition that causes a person to feel no pain)

Uhh, isn't this a weakness? As people with CIP die due to not noticing illnesses or injuries? You know, pain is important, as it means that something is harming your body, in which, results into reflexes in order to avoid the cause of the pain.

Just imagine, touching an extremely heated object without knowing that it is hot, your reflex would be to pull your hands and stop touching it when the nervous system knows it's hot and it sends signals onto your body but if you don't receive physical pain, it'll just make you ignorant and susceptible from hidden danger. Though, it doesn't have to be just related to reflexes when receiving pain, it's just, being ignorant alone to what's harming your body is very bad.

However, this is just an example and it could be a bad example, there could be other situations that explain the point better.

Is this considered as a weakness? If so, should this remain and be added as a weakness? Or should it be removed from the abilities to remove the weakness? As it says in the profile: ("The Composite Human is a combination of all our strengths, skills and abilities at our peak, minus our weaknesses and downfalls") but the convenience of being resistant to pain would be gone.

I am curious.

I mean it's subjective really. To some, not being able to feel pain just means that they're not hindered by it when fighting, and can carry on even after being impaled or cut.

To others, it could be an actual problem because they can't feel when they have taken a mortal injury and can quickly die from it.

Only because you can't feel pain doesn't mean you fon't feel anything period. People who can't feel pain still feel uncomfortable when they get hurt, it just... not painful.

I mean it's subjective really. To some, not being able to feel pain just means that they're not hindered by it when fighting, and can carry on even after being impaled or cut.

To others, it could be an actual problem because they can't feel when they have taken a mortal injury and can quickly die from it.

-Sir Ovens

Thanks but, we're talking about a Human that could die from something hidden or unknown due to CIP. This would've been subjective, I was generally talking about Pain Manipulation itself and everyone that has Pain Manipulation resistance. Sorry for not mentioning the profile I am talking about in the original post, I edited it now.

Only because you can't feel pain doesn't mean you fon't feel anything period. People who can't feel pain still feel uncomfortable when they get hurt, it just... not painful.
-Ricsi-viragosi

Yeah, but you won't feel uncomfortable if you don't notice you get hurt, though there are things you can notice even with the condition, there are stuff as well that you won't be able to notice though. Then the problem starts to appear again.

No. In real life you notice it, period. In fiction it's also rare for them to not notice it, and even then there are characters with non-existence that can't interact with reality in any way, it is a skill nonetheless.

Afaik, pain resistance is an offshoot of a dulled sense of touch, and can be really detrimental when in a fight as:

• you can break your own arm punching harder than your body can handle because you don't know the upper limit very well without pain telling you so (e.g. Deku).
  • you have a difficult time judging what injuries need immediate treatment and what doesn't beyond the obvious ones like a gaping hole on your abdomen.
That said, immunity to Pain Manipulation does not necessarily mean you don't feel pain, rather, you can resist the effect of an external factor overwriting your body functions.

As for whether or not it is a weakness, if Composite Human clearly knows his limits and is at the peak of humanity's knowledge, then it won't be taken off-guard by the above bullet points and will know to either avoid it, or how to deal with it.

No. In real life you notice it, period. In fiction it's also rare for them to not notice it, and even then there are characters with non-existence that can't interact with reality in any way, it is a skill nonetheless.
-Ricsi-viragosi

I didn't mean just outside physical pain, there are internal physical pain as well. Possibly caused by fractured bones, infections or other stuff as well.

So, how will this turn out in vsdebates? Specially, characters with some stealthy attacks, abilities or self explanatory abilities, probably some being diseases-related (that causes pain of course and not too potent)?

Afaik, pain resistance is an offshoot of a dulled sense of touch, and can be really detrimental when in a fight as:

• you can break your own arm punching harder than your body can handle because you don't know the upper limit very well without pain telling you so (e.g. Deku).
  • you have a difficult time judging what injuries need immediate treatment and what doesn't beyond the obvious ones like a gaping hole on your abdomen.
That said, immunity to Pain Manipulation does not necessarily mean you don't feel pain, rather, you can resist the effect of an external factor overwriting your body functions.

As for whether or not it is a weakness, if Composite Human clearly knows his limits and is at the peak of humanity's knowledge, then it won't be taken off-guard by the above bullet points and will know to either avoid it, or how to deal with it.

-Gemmysaur

Well, I see, thanks for your answer. Though, your last point... I guess it's up to situational stuff again.. What if he could do something about it, however, the immunity alone is the only thing that's making him ignorant or susceptible from a harmful thing (coming from the opponent of course), therefore he could be taken off-guard or lose because of the immunity?? Is that a possible situation then? e.e

I don't quite understand the question so I'll try my best.

If the Pain Immunity throws him off-guard by making him ignorant, then that has more to do with the mind than actually being unfeeling.

Ah, well, okay then, thanks.

What I just meant was is if there is a possible scenario or situation where he could lose a match because of the immunity.

Hmm. I think that it could, if Composite Human got pushed to the limit and tried to go for broke with punching harder than he should, but misses... or something, and that injury can severely hamper the ability to carry on with the fight later on.

Yeah not feeling pain is a weakness in the real world. Probably less of such in a fight though. Non sapient animals have a much better resistance to weakness than humans do

Back