• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About Non-Canon page requirements (important somewhat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said I would be making this thread and I am finally. Forgive me if I sound overly blunt on this, but this is kind of bothering me so I need to get to the bottom of this by getting it out the way.

Now apparently, our requirements for making non-canon character pages here is along the lines of there needing to be differences between the canon and non-canon counterparts of the character, such as stats or backstory, to be considered okay to make the page. Something like this is what I recall the last time I was on this subject.

Im going to be honest here. I don't see how at all this needs to be a requirement. Sure, making pages for characters that are 99.9% the same as their already canon ones is likely not worth the effort in making just to have an extra page. I can live with that. But its a different story when it comes to difference in stats or backstory. Why is the former such a big requirement for non-canon pages to be made? Is there any specific purpose for this? Because if not, I don't see why we couldnt just, instead, place a note specifying the pages are non-canon and cannot scale or influence the statistics of their canon counterparts. Having such a requirement basically puts a limit on what pages can or can't be made for no good reason. As I said, Im all for not making pages that only have, like, 1 thing different from their canon ones, but there shouldnt be any strictness to this after that point.

In addition, its 100% possible for characters to either have the same stats, but different backstories, or characters with the same story but different stats. Some to even the extreme. For example (and Im using her for a reason), take Kaguya Otsutsuki from Naruto. Kaguya in the main Naruto canon is only tier 5 for reasons listed. But if we were to take her game counterpart at face value, Kaguya from that canon would easily become tier 4 or, at the bare minimum, be tiered far far higher than her canon counterpart. Why? Because unlike the main canons material, Game Kaguya has evidence of her dimensions literally being filled with entire stars, her dimensions being the main core part of her AP stats. If it werent for the main canon lacking this evidence, canon Kaguya would have much more going for her here. To make the story short, game Kaguya has the same story as her canon one, yet she can easily be ridiculously stronger in non-canon than in canon (plus a note, IIRC, the Naruto games have a good deal of different abiliies that obviously arent available in the main canon but thats beside the point.). So whats the real issue in making a non-canon Kaguya page with different stats and just placing a note that it has nothing to do with her canon page to prevent cross-scaling?

Basically, my argument here is that unless canon and non-canon counterparts are only different by very small irrelevant details, but have either different backstories or different stats/abilities, there's no real reason why we should deny those pages to be made. Im of course okay with everyone disagreeing with me, but I needed to get this out.

Naruto was only used as an example. Just a heads up to everyone

This isnt about specifically Naruto. Its about non-canon pages in general.

Just make a seperate profile for her specifying that it's from the game instead of the main canon like we do for akuma's asuras wrath incarnation.

@WB

Okay that is fine, but do you have any thoughts about my posts original question regarding all non-canon pages in general?

I am far too overworked to spend a lot of time arguing about this, but we essentially do not want to be overwhelmed with lots profiles that are almost completely identical with the exception of some minor details, such as wanting a higher rated character from a game, with no other significant differences from the canon.

However, we are not overly strict regarding this issue. You can read our full guidelines here: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Alternative_Canon_and_Composite_Profiles

Why create a new profile?You can just add a key to her current profile.Not only Kaguya,but everyone who could fight her is 4-A.(Madara,Naruto,Sasuke etc).

Also there are 6 Goku's profiles if don't forget.

There are 5 Son Goku profiles. 3 of them are for different ages, 1 is for a very different game character, and one is for the GT spinoff character. They all fulfill our requirements.

Laxing our standards mean that we will have to deal with tons of non-canon profiles with little to no difference in stats from the original, such as profiles for every anime version of a manga character, which is extremely pointless. Even worse when they're created just to give a character a boost.

@Dzhindzholia

Mecha Goku is a separate character, even if it isn't important.

Yes. Agreed.

Perhaps we should close this thread?

Dzhindzholia said:
I think you make sense,but there is an unnecessary profile like this one.

I think there maby some new abilities for Naruto game characters.That needs to be checked.
Mecha Goku is a training robot made by Bulma for Vegeta

And just about the only thing for Naruto characters in storm games are that their stronger, only in Dragon Chronicles do we actually have new charcters

The Everlasting said:
Minor thing

But 4-A Kaguya is just even worse of an outlier.
Yes to canon Kaguya but not non-canon since, for the games, theres actual proof. However this is beside the point of my post as shes just an example.

All im saying really is that there shouldnt be any real reason to deny the making of non-canon pages, unless they are 99.9% the same as their canon ones, which I can live with being denied. Thats really it.

Dzhindzholia said:
I think you make sense,but there is an unnecessary profile like this one.
Except Mecha Goku isn't Goku in any way, outside of appearance and personality, both of which being artificial, it's like saying all Mechagodzilla profiles should be deleted because we have Godzilla profiles, despite being entirely different entities

Also, I do support more non-canon pages, but not "X but stronger/weaker with no other differences"

Well, the current rules have been developed through several long discussions, and serve us well. We are very unlikely to change them.

well you can also make a blog page where you have the strongest version of said character and link it to that from the main page in the foot notes.

No, that is not appropriate. Blog profiles are just intended to be draft versions.

Yes, but you cannot link to any blog profile in the verse pages.

The Everlasting said:
There being "actual proof" has nothing to do with it being an outlier though?
Yes but how is it an outlier in the games case? Its an outlier for the main canon because of the fact Kaguyas dimensions there were assumed to have stars in them, and from assumption alone, it messes up the scaling.

In the non-canon games however, we are outright shown that the dimension she was going to destroy have many stars in them. So if one wanted to hypothetically make a page for her game counterpart, why would it be an outlier for her ETSB to be tier 4?

Bruh whether or not the dimension having stars is an assumption is completely unrelated to it being an outlier.

4-C is dejected because it was an outlier. 4-A is just a bigger one.

Yes but again, its rejected for canon Kaguya.

That doesn't mean its an outlier for non-canon Kaguya and no one explained why.

Either way, its off topic and should probably be talked about in a different thread for whoever wants to make a page for her.

For canon Kaguya it's "It isn't a tier 4 feat, and even if it was, it would be an outlier"

For non-canon Kaguya it's "It's a legit tier 4 feat, but it's an outlier because it's literally the only one".

Anyway the reason why it requires a different characterization, background etc, is to avoid pages that are literally the canon version, but with different stats

I agree with The Everlasting and Kaltias. We should probably close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back