• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Suggestion I'd Like To Implement

CrossverseCrisis said:
Maybe people here like stale stuff just like they do IRL?
Am I supposed to do anything with this? If you want stale stuff do it, but don't prevent other people from trying new things.

Like YouTube showing me unskippable 30 second ads for Atomic Blonde doesn't make me any more interested in seeing the movie.
Maybe they don't interest you, but they interest someone else. Advertisement is an effective marketing strategy but no one said it has 100% effect rate.

I was just stating a possible fact...or a blatent insult to everyone here if you didn't catch on. (Shrugs)

Highlighting a certain thread has no effect to someone who doesn't care. But has the potential to reach out to those who are interested.

So as long as there aren't too many hightlights and Scarlet/the other staff helping him do a good job managing what's hightlighted, I'm perfectly fine with this.

While I'm neutral on the highlight. Let me ask, Will that change much? Not really. I mean let's be frank, you can highlight a revision and not many people will comment. A fight highlight won't suddenly bring in more people. That's just unrealistic.

I love the idea of a featured fight of the week. It would give us something fun. However, there is the issue of deciding the fight to highlight and letting people know what a featured weekly fight is. Now I am willing to jot down some ideas on how to make a featured fight more appealing, but it is nowhere near a perfect plan and has good chance of being a waste of time.

Anyways, might as well just go **** off then for myself out of this thread since i serve no purpose to anyone including the very staff i work with...once again.

The Everlasting said:
Like YouTube showing me unskippable 30 second ads for Atomic Blonde doesn't make me any more interested in seeing the movie.
Ain't that the truth....

People are simply going to comment on whatever thread they want and not comment on whatever thread they don't want. You can say that about any thread that gets highlighted, including Content Revision Threads.

But what is the point of a highlight? To draw more attention towards something and get those who are interested to notice. We don't not highlight something just because a lot of people might ignore it.

Like Dragon said, I too love the idea of a featured fight of the week. And agree it would give us something fun.

So there's no harm in this. Potential benefiet. Along with some fun to be had.

As for the deciding process. Scarlet has said that he and a few other staff will be able to take care of it. So I trust in their judgement and ability.

@Scarlet I think you misunderstood Cross' comment. He isn't trying to stop people from doing new things. Matter of fact he'd rather something new to happen. It's just that in all honesty, will people actually do something new? The sad truth is that they likely aren't....

We can try it. But the results right now are completely unknown.

It's enough you need not one but three silver tongues to get shit to change here because people see it like the plague, but it's another when people are bothered by a single highlighted thread.

If you think it will not change much, by all means go ahead and scrap it. But this reluctance to change is and will be weighing us down.

I'm just gonna stop replying now, because I am just repeating myself ad naseum. If you agree to implement this, feel free to notify me as well.

Peace

Hmmm...

Against:

• VS threads are not unimportant, but not sure if they merit a highlight. Announcements, and major Content Revision threads are more important, and should be what highlights are used for
    • Highlighting might not "clog up", but many VS thread highlights might diminish/cheapen the importance of highlight threads
  • Less popular characters are more niche, true, but their respective fan-bases don't actually miss out on their respective threads since VS threads can be browsed (and followed) by topics directly
For:

• "Featured VS Battles" is a great idea; most fellow communities have the leg up on us in that aspect (just do a X vs Y google search, VS Battles wiki appears on 2nd or 3rd page)
  • If going "featured battles" route, let's not limit ourselves to "less popular" characters only; having popular characters in featured battles would be better
  • Execution will be extremely important, particularly:
    • Max 2-3 threads per month, instead of weekly (for limited/focused VS highlights)
    • Choosing right characters/conditions, so as to have good and exciting match-ups

There is also the fact that it is only 1-2 fights per month. So it really isn't going to clog up that much space. It isn't like it is one fight per day. I feel like we can do this. I'd be willing to help with fights and setting this stuff up. Honestly, while it has flaws I feel like this could really be fun and actually liven up the site a bit.

However, we cannot be surprised if people don't comment. A highlight won't change that.

I personally support Scarlet's idea. Sure, maybe it won't change anything. Maybe it won't work. But what if it does? It doesn't cause any harm, and if it works, it gives use something fun to do, as well as a bit of variation.

If it doesn't work, it won't cause any real backslash, while if it does that's everyone's gain.

It isn't like we will force people to comment. And if you aren't interested, you can just open and close it quickly so that the notification is removed.

I don't have an issue with this, i don't think it will change much, cause if someone doesn't want to comment on a thread they won't, however it doesn't hurt to try something new, that could possibly give the wikia more versatility and attention to lesser known characters. If it fails, well at least we tried.

Kavpeny said:
  • If going "featured battles" route, let's not limit ourselves to "less popular" characters only; having popular characters in featured battles would be better
  • Execution will be extremely important, particularly:
    • Max 2-3 threads per month, instead of weekly (for limited/focused VS highlights)
    • Choosing right characters/conditions, so as to have good and exciting match-ups
1) The point of this was to encourage the use of less popular characters. If we feature popular characters, there's an extremely high chance the matchup has already been done. Since we are suggesting two/month, maybe we feature one popular matchup and one less popular?

2) I first started this with the idea that it's just a small addition that 1-3 people would oversee, but if this needs more, I don't want to waste everyone's time with this.

@ScarletFirefly Do not be discouraged by the discussion. We are quite a lot of staff members after all. It is quite likely that this will be accepted, and not all of my suggestions pass general staff approval either. Remember that Composite Goku fiasco?

@Scarlet:

1. Like I said, I like and agree with the idea of featured battles, But think limiting to less popular characters only is unnecessarily limiting.

I also agree with what Ever said: if there is little to no interest generated in response to the highlighted VS threads (due to niche characters), the idea will lose momentum just as quickly, and also cheapen the concept of highlighted threads as a whole.

Any featured/highlighted VS thread should have, IMO, at the very least 1 popular character. The other character may be just as popular, or less popular (but with high quality character profile)

2. It's not that simple; implementation will also require supervision to ensure that only the required no. of highlighted VS threads are created, and also to ensure that everyone gets a fair shot at having their favourite characters have highlighted fights.

I say if we do fights we do:

One Popular Character vs One Unpopular character.

That will eventually draw in a crowd and over time we can start making more niche fights. But we can't just start with niche fights or the idea will fall flat instantly.

Also, Scarlet, please rest assured that I'm not trying to pick your idea apart. I'm evaluating the pros and cons as I see them, and giving my opinion accordingly.

I'm not discouraged by any means. I am just trying to make this place better. I'm just surprised this small thing drew so much attention.

@Kavpeny THat's why I suggested that normal users leave their suggestions to my wall when I thought I was alone on this.

@Dragon That looks like something that could work.

@Cross:

CrossverseCrisis said:
Anyways, might as well just go **** off then for myself out of this thread since i serve no purpose to anyone including the very staff i work with...once again.
Would like to politely disagree with you, my friend :)
Can personally vouch that your opinions are not useless, and I for one appreciate your input.

I agree with Kavpeny. You are a highly appreciated staff member Cross.

Yeah Cross, I value your opinion a great deal. I actually would prefer if you provided more input regarding certain things considering your experience but I never want to bother you.

I really have to agree with Antvasima, Ryukama, Everlasting and the others here. I really don't see the purpose of "Matchup Wednesdays", and I don't think they'd do much good.

Well I was never against the idea. And said that personally I think there's no harm, some benefit and a bit of fun to be had. As long as there's no excessive highlighting and Scarlet/those helping are able to manage this, I'm fine with it. It's whatever most decide though.

I am not against the idea either, as long as it is kept to just very few threads every month.

Antvasima said:
I am not against the idea either, as long as it is kept to just very few threads every month.
Yeah no weekly. Only 1-2 a month, which Scarlet already said was fine.

Yes, 1-2/month was fine for me as well. Although I'm interested in the idea Kavpeny and Dragon presented. We feature one popular character and one niche character to get people more interested.

However, since Kavpeny said we need to "ensure that everyone gets a fair shot at having their favourite characters have highlighted fights", I'm not sure how to proceed with this.

ScarletFirefly said:
Maybe a straw poll? People suggest a niche character for the next round during the first fight, those get added to a poll and people vote on them.

Maybe you can set up a message wall thread for suggestions on next fighters, link it in the OP of the highlighted vs thread. I dunno how it would work just yet.

Well, the most practical solution seems to be to simply have the few staff members, who think that this would be fun, browse through the versus threads section of the message board, and then discuss which matchup that seems the most interesting and well-structured.

@Ant So you're saying aside from creating featured matchup, we can also browse VS board and see if there's a good thread in there and feature that one?

Yes. If you wish, but it is up to you. On second thought, it might encourage members to spam us with versus threads, if they think that they might be picked for a highlight, so maybe it is better for you to select the combatants yourselves instead.

Yeah, seems that's a likely thing to happen. I will think on this some more and then consult the others, see what's what.

@Scarlet: To clarify by what I meant by, "everybody gets a fair shot", I mean have a mechanism in place so that people can voice their input as well.

How to do that? I would suggest creating a thread for it on Wiki Management board. And whenever you create a new featured VS thread, add:
"Note: For deciding the characters of the next fight, look [[(your thread link)|here]]."
at the end of the original post, so that all members become aware of the character-deciding thread.

Once again, I would like to recommend that you have at least one popular character for featured fights. Hmm...maybe have members decide the popular character, and you could correspondingly choose a less popular character that would be a good match-up?

@Kavpeny Ok say I did create a thread on Wiki Management board. Then what? People just comment there which character they would like to see? Do we create a poll there? Does the poll reset after the matchup?

I dunno if the wiki management board is the best place, as it is supposed to be for maintenance requests only. Perhaps the staff forum is a better choice?

@Scarlet: Yes, something like that. Create a poll, and have members vote. Once the popular character is decided, choose a less popular character which would be a good match-up.

For example:

Which character would you like to see fight next?

Goku

Naruto

Luffy

The poll was created at 09:25 on July 18, 2017, and so far 4 people voted.
Please wait, submitting your vote...
Once you have a poll result, say Naruto, choose any lesser popular character which would be a good match-up, and create a highlighted VS thread.

For the next fight, since Naruto was already selected previously, change the options to have another character instead, or maybe even replace all of the characters. Example:

Goku

Ichigo

Luffy

The poll was created at 09:25 on July 18, 2017, and so far 3 people voted.
^ replaced one option, OR:

Superman

Batman

Spider-Man

The poll was created at 09:25 on July 18, 2017, and so far 4 people voted.
^ replaced all options

Maybe have a rule about how many featured fights a character can have? Around once every 3 months (in other words, 1 time for every 6 highlighted VS threads)?

And yes, poll results can be reset.

Back