• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Serial Killer vs A Boxer. Jack the Ripper (RoR) Vs Yu (The Boxer)

I'll give my analysis on the fight as someone knowledgeable on both characters, but, Yu takes this pretty solidly tbh.

Jack's major advantages in this fight are his intellect + his home field advantage. He has more than enough intelligence to play this fight conservatively, taking it from a range, or trying to sneak up on Yu. The main problem with planning against Yu though as that most of his plans really aren't going to... work.

Look at it this way; If Jack tries to knife spam from a range, his knives are getting dodged effortlessly, no contest. Yu has a ludicrous skill advantage + his funny little reactions gimmick allows him to see basically anything in slow motion and dodge cleanly. If he tries to get close to Yu, he better hope to god that Yu doesn't notice him, as the second he does, Yu will have already been showering him in blows and every bone in his body would've been broken. And trying to dodge won't be effective, as the moment Yu starts the attack, Jack would've been read like a book and at that point he's already lost the fight.

One can say that Jack can try and knife spam from a distance to tire Yu out, but, given the very negligible amount of effort Yu is going to be spending dodging literally any ranged attacks, I think Jack will realize that tiring him out is going to take a long ******* time with that strategy, and he'll eventually go in for close-quarters, and at that point Yu already won. Engaging him in close-quarters is the very, very last thing Jack wants to do.

And his tendency to put together plans that can severely **** himself over in a fight due to just being that much of a crazy bitch really just works against him when like... barely any of these plans work when Yu deadass just avoids any attempts at being harmed. He isn't Heracles, he's a genius level fighter and probably the most skilled fighter in humanity in-verse.

I vote Yu.

Kewl Kewl.

Question though. What would Yu do if Jack decided to use his grappling hook or piano wires to attempt to outmaneuver Yu? With either of those, he could fairly easily set up a situation where he could pretty much permanently stay out of Yu's range if given the chance. As, at least looking at his profile, he doesn't have any Acrobatics or Surface Scaling that would give him much upward mobility.

Basically, does Yu have an answer to Jack using his Piano Wires to To stay in the air indefinitely? Outside of Jack just deciding to melee him.

There's also the fact that Jack throws dozens of knives at once, which he can freely curve to alter their trajectory. I can understand him being able to avoid them, but if his stamina is really "Average Human" like his profile states, being forced to move out of the way of a literal wall of knives with unpredictable trajectories should eventually tax his stamina. This becomes even worse if Jack manages to set up his Piano wires, which would force Yu to dodge knives from pretty much all directions.

I don't know Jack about Yu, so I might be underestimating him or somethin.

Question though. What would Yu do if Jack decided to use his grappling hook or piano wires to attempt to outmaneuver Yu? With either of those, he could fairly easily set up a situation where he could pretty much permanently stay out of Yu's range if given the chance. As, at least looking at his profile, he doesn't have any Acrobatics or Surface Scaling that would give him much upward mobility.
As said previously, I think Jack is smart enough to realize that when his range spamming isn't working, it just isn't working. The amount of effort it'll take for Yu to dodge Jack's projectiles is very, very negligible, and Jack is very prone to change strategies on the fly when he realizes one strategy isn't being very effective, as he did so pretty much constantly in his fight with Heracles.
There's also the fact that Jack throws dozens of knives at once, which he can freely curve to alter their trajectory. I can understand him being able to avoid them, but if his stamina is really "Average Human" like his profile states, being forced to move out of the way of a literal wall of knives with unpredictable trajectories should eventually tax his stamina. This becomes even worse if Jack manages to set up his Piano wires, which would force Yu to dodge knives from pretty much all directions.
Unless these knives happen to have a very, very, VERY ludicrous speed advantage on Yu, I don't see what stops him from just using his busted reactions to dodge or deflect these knives. I think seeing Jack's projectiles in slow motion and being able to see where exactly he'll throw them through analyzing the muscle movements in his hands and arms before he even completes the throw is also a pretty good way to avoid projectiles, and if they change direction, again, he can just dodge, which he can and will do with attacks that come from all directions. Like yeah the amount of projectiles is a problem but the effort he'll need to use to avoid them is negligible.

This also isn't taking into account the fact that Jack will have to shift his gaze to redirect the knives' direction, something that would also fall into the scope of Yu's analytical prediction and allow him to calculate where the knives will go next.

As said previously, I think Jack is smart enough to realize that when his range spamming isn't working, it just isn't working. The amount of effort it'll take for Yu to dodge Jack's projectiles is very, very negligible, and Jack is very prone to change strategies on the fly when he realizes one strategy isn't being very effective, as he did so pretty much constantly against his fight with Heracles.
This is understandable yeah. But in that case, wouldn't Jack also realize that Yu has a significant reaction speed advantage over him? In such a situation, I don't think his answer would be to attempt to close the distance, as if he could dodge a barrage of knives, he'd obviously dodge any sort of melee attack Jack would perform against him. It would be, IMO, more likely that he would continue to retreat and try to set traps and the like, such as what he did first thing when the fight with Hercules started. Jack has the stamina, and mobility advantage here. Yu dominates him in close range, as you said, but his entire winning strategy pretty much requires Jack to willingly give up his main advantages over him.
Unless these knives happen to have a very, very, VERY ludicrous speed advantage on Yu, I don't see what stops him from just using his busted reactions to dodge or deflect these knives. I think seeing Jack's projectiles in slow motion and being able to see where exactly he'll throw them through analyzing the muscle movements in his hands and arms before he even completes the throw is also a pretty good way to avoid projectiles, and if they change direction, again, he can just dodge, which he can and will do with attacks that come from all directions. Like yeah the amount of projectiles is a problem but the effort he'll need to use to avoid them is negligible.

This also isn't taking into account the fact that Jack will have to shift his gaze to redirect the knives' direction, something that would also fall into the scope of Yu's analytical prediction and allow him to calculate where the knives will go next.
Can you provide feats of Yu's dodging abilities? Like, how good is this "Slow Motion" sense he has?

Though, even if he can easily dodge, he'd still be in nearly constant movement trying to dodge, yeah? Even these small efforts will add up over time for someone without superhuman stamina.

Actually wait-

Does Jack have an unlimited number of weapons and the like without his Volund? We're assuming he has a **** ton of projectiles and shit here but I was under the assumption that he gained such a number of weapons through turning his pouch into a divine weapon.

So would he have the same number of resources without prep/his volund?

His pouch was never divine in the first place, he just said it was to trick Hercules and the rest. And Jack's ability to turn things into divine weapons has never shown the ability to duplicate objects or increase storage space, so we can only really assume that he just carried a massive amount of knives on his person during the entire fight.

I mean his pouch must've been divine in some way, he touched it multiple times lol. But whatever, I guess.
This is understandable yeah. But in that case, wouldn't Jack also realize that Yu has a significant reaction speed advantage over him? In such a situation, I don't think his answer would be to attempt to close the distance, as if he could dodge a barrage of knives, he'd obviously dodge any sort of melee attack Jack would perform against him. It would be, IMO, more likely that he would continue to retreat and try to set traps and the like, such as what he did first thing when the fight with Hercules started. Jack has the stamina, and mobility advantage here. Yu dominates him in close range, as you said, but his entire winning strategy pretty much requires Jack to willingly give up his main advantages over him.
Jack has willingly given up advantages to gain an edge over opponents lol. He did the same thing during his fight with Heracles, and did indeed enter Heracles' range multiple times throughout the fight, either to taunt him, or to straight-up engage in actual CQC with him. Jack is smart, we both know that, but he's also out of his mind, and is prone to switching to strategies that can be both good and bad for him in order to gain advantages in the long run of the fight, that is part of what makes him so good when he has a home field advantage, but, in this case, strategies like this that can very well put him in Yu's extended range. I also feel like it is even more plausible for him to get within Yu's range, when he resorted to making distance against Heracles, who actually does have AoE attacks. I don't see what would even prompt Jack to make range against someone he has no prior knowledge on and has no AoE to speak of, really.
Can you provide feats of Yu's dodging abilities? Like, how good is this "Slow Motion" sense he has?

Though, even if he can easily dodge, he'd still be in nearly constant movement trying to dodge, yeah? Even these small efforts will add up over time for someone without superhuman stamina.
Yu is capable of cleanly dodging punches from professional boxers despite said punches being said to be impossible to dodge so easily for normal people, doing so blatantly effortlessly, even stating that it was akin to him already knowing the fist was coming when it was mere inches away from his face, and coming from someone who could've splattered his head.

States he sees things at such a speed that he can actually get bored waiting for attacks a very short distance away from himself to hit him. (He was letting himself be attacked here).

Stated once again to perceive the world's time at a speed far slower than normal, and was dodging attacks that blatantly came from all directions against an opponent that was stated to also be capable of splattering his head. While this feat is done in his last key, as noted on the profile, his reactions gimmick and skills do not fluctuate throughout the series, so it is very much applicable to earlier keys.

Stated to perceive the world in a different dimension of time.

So yeah.

His pouch could've been divine, but even if it was, it was never portrayed as having any powers that his normal divine weapon didn't have. We also know that Jack can touch objects without making them divine as well, as he was able to set up a trap against Hercules that featured both normal piano wire and knives.

But uh, regardless.

Those reasons all make sense. I wasn't really aware of all of Yu's capabilities, but this seems like a fair assessment of the fight. You're right that Jack has shown to put himself in potential harm's way in the past, so it's possible for him to do so here.

I'll drop my arguments.

His pouch could've been divine, but even if it was, it was never portrayed as having any powers that his normal divine weapon didn't have. We also know that Jack can touch objects without making them divine as well, as he was able to set up a trap against Hercules that featured both normal piano wire and knives.
Fair enough on that, I guess.

Back