• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Question Regarding Explosion Overpressure

King

He/Him
So, we already have a standard for explosion overpressure; which is 20 psi. At this overpressure, there is heavy damage to the buildings and they collapse. However, a feat that I'm calcing, shows that the entire surroundings were turned to dust including the concrete portions. Since the damage is far greater than normal explosions, what pressure value should I use?

So, we already have a standard for explosion overpressure; which is 20 psi. At this overpressure, there is heavy damage to the buildings and they collapse. However, a feat that I'm calcing, shows that the entire surroundings were turned to dust including the concrete portions. Since the damage is far greater than normal explosions, what pressure value should I use?
IIRC, 50 psi is the highest possible one can use for explosions.

Could elaborate a bit on why that is the case? Anyways, if that is the case then I shall use 50 PSI.
I wouldn't recommend using that, it's specifically reserved for the epicenter as concluded in this thread, but in some other documents I see 500 psi or higher required to effectively kill a person. Your mileage may vary.

I wouldn't recommend using that, it's specifically reserved for the epicenter as concluded in this thread, but in some other documents I see 500 psi or higher required to effectively kill a person. Your mileage may vary.
Can use this formula suggested by Nik Helton? :
w = 0.61 * V ^ 2

Not sure if DT ever accepted that, wouldn't you need the velocity first? For that you'd need a solid timeframe to latch onto.

Not sure if DT ever accepted that, wouldn't you need the velocity first? For that you'd need a solid timeframe to latch onto.
We could use variable timeframes and select the end which seems best. Don't we do that with most feats regarding KE?

We could use variable timeframes and select the end which seems best. Don't we do that with most feats regarding KE?
With KE we usually rely upon cinematic timeframe whenever possible. We resort to timeframe assumptions when there's no other choice left.

With KE we usually rely upon cinematic timeframe whenever possible. We resort to timeframe assumptions when there's no other choice left.
Hmmm... since it's a manga page, I guess we can't use this method. I think I'll go with the standard 20 psi value as we only see that the epicenter was pulverized; it's possible that the outer areas weren't. I'll update you again once I finish the blog.

So, could you tag DT? It would make things a lot easier than randomly putting in pressure values. Plus, we have a character reacting to the feat, so that could be used as a timeframe.

Actually DT later stated that our current ground-based boom formula is the best one to use for this, since it's basically a shockwave formula in disguise.

Back