• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A question about lightning and electrical devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only agree if it has wattage/voltage/current equal or superior to lightning if was in-universe stated (like what happened to Zoro, assuming it was DC), and the other restriction like AC, magic electricity, between others. If was just scaled/extrapolated to have superior energy/power, then I disagree.

I don't get the reasoning for that.

If a character is capable of resisting attacks which level cities, and another character can harm him with electricity, that lightning bolt is obviously far stronger than real life lightning.

To say nothing of a lightning bolt which destroys a house, or a building, or a city block, something which is impossible in real life. That can only be done through a lightning with a wattage higher than real life. In that case we don't need a statement.

Several electricity attacks don't even works as the real ones, causing explosions or working as simple projectiles, so saying that something is faster than a lightning one cuz is more destructive is pretty questionable (even more considering that lightning doesn't even cause that destruction compared to the supposed energy output).

Also, damage by electricity hasn't nothing to do with durability, not in real life, it has to do with resistivity, and some verses follow this. Examples? The Iron Giant, MHA, One Piece.

So if in one verse, electricity attacks cause explosions, fine then, just calculate the destruction, but giving it speed cuz curiously cause more destruction than a real lightning and then ignore everything else from the verse sounds like wank, even more considering that there's no scientistic support to that "tesis", that doesn't sound different than headcanon.

I guess Electro's lightning isn't real lightning despite having all propertires of real light lightning just because it causes explosions, then.

It is 100% possible for fictional lightning to have most if not all elements of real life lightning but also do something impossible.

Electro's lightning has an stated speed iirc. And using weather manipulation to summon lightning from the sky would makes it like a real lightning. Similar goes with Storm, and anyone with weather manipulation that can create a thunderstorm will gain that benefit.

Electro's lightning is as fast as real lightning even if it didn't fall from the sky. It has all properties of lightning so it makes no sense to assume it would have every lightning property except speed.

My apologies, but I am leaning towards agreeing with Matthew.

In addition, it simply isn't practically feasible for us to consider electrical strikes travelling through the air as having any less speed than lightning, as it would require massive very controversial revisions.

According to what I skimmed in Wikipedia, it also seems like the drift velocity of electrons is proportionate to the voltage, although it isn't my area anymore:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drift_velocity

I also noticed that electrons travelling through air go much swifter than the ones travelling through much denser materials such as metals, but I may have misunderstood:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_electricity

And the energy is also proportionate to the voltage, as far as I am aware:

Electricalenergyformula

I would appreciate comments regarding the information in my latest two posts.

There's another ways to find energy since there's no way to find charge. However, I still consider energy in electric devices irrelevant, what it kill people isn't the energy, nor wattage, not even voltage, is current.

Well, the point is that, as far as I understand, what is of relevance here is the drift velocity of electrons through air, and that it seems to be proportionate to the energy of a discharge.

If willing, Hop can offer explanations. Hop works in IT and has a family member in Electrical Engineering, if you would an explanation.

Hop also would like to bring up computer and internet speeds if it is relevant, but maybe in another thread.

However, if you are able to give suggestions for how to improve on our explanation, that would be appreciated.

Well, as long as they have equivalent or greater power than real lightning, and fulfill all of our other previous requirements, we consider the discharges to have similar speed as well. DontTalk agreed with this assessment, and he is our most knowledgeable member about physics and mathematics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back