• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A question about a cosmology

SamanPatou

VS Battles
Administrator
I made this thread because I'm not sure on how to classify or define a cosmology from a comic book, in terms of dimensions and other stuff,
Here's the brief explanation:

There's a multiverse, which is stated multiple times to be infinite. Each of these universes can be unique or a version of another one (like another version of the Earth) that can differ for big to little details or for being located in another historical period. In every unvierse time can flow normally or at different speeds, being still or even going backwards and the laws of reality and physics can vary.
At least one of these universes is stated to be five dimensional and another one (The city of R'Lyeh directly taken from the Cthulhu Mythos) doesn't have an euclidian geometry, while most of the others (at least those seen, since they are infinite) appear to be just like our universe.
In the fabric between universes, defined as an hyperspace, there are "vortex of nothingness", and "lower worlds", described as being the boundary between existence and non-existence, dreams and reality, which can suddenly change and even there the laws of reality and time can greatly vary from one another. These places are normally inaccessible even to those who can freely travel between universes.
Finally, outside this multiverse there is another "world", where the Great Old Ones reside in their true form.

I could give much more details on many aspects if needed, since the travel between universes is a fundamental part of the story, but I pretty much explained the most important parts of its structure.

There's a multiverse, which is stated multiple times to be infinite. Each of these universes can be unique or a version of another one (like another version of the Earth) that can differ for big to little details or for being located in another historical period. In every unvierse time can flow normally or at different speeds, being still or even going backwards and the laws of reality and physics can vary.
Sounds pretty blatantly 2-A to me so far.
At least one of these universes is stated to be five dimensional and another one (The city of R'Lyeh directly taken from the Cthulhu Mythos) doesn't have an euclidian geometry, while most of the others (at least those seen, since they are infinite) appear to be just like our universe.
Can you give more context for the five-dimensional universe? Like, does this include the time dimension, and is there anything to suggest that this universe is somehow superior to the others (e.g., a reliable statement that it is larger than universes with fewer dimensions)?
In the fabric between universes, defined as an hyperspace, there are "vortex of nothingness", and "lower worlds", described as being the boundary between existence and non-existence, dreams and reality, which can suddenly change and even there the laws of reality and time can greatly vary from one another. These places are normally inaccessible even to those who can freely travel between universes.
I'd like some more context here, as well. On its own, this doesn't seem like anything that would meaningfully affect the scale of the cosmology.
Finally, outside this multiverse there is another "world", where the Great Old Ones reside in their true form.
Once again, elaboration on this would be great. This description doesn't really make it sound like this world is transcendent over the multiversal structure, but maybe something exists that would suggest as much.

Can you give more context for the five-dimensional universe? Like, does this include the time dimension, and is there anything to suggest that this universe is somehow superior to the others (e.g., a reliable statement that it is larger than universes with fewer dimensions)?
It's not specified if time is part of it, but the protagonists pass through a portal and end in a house which is described by the villain as "This house is a tesseract... i.e. a solid body that extends in the fifth dimension. It's almost impossible to pass from a room to another, if you don't know how to do it... and it's even more impossible to get out!"

The protagonists and other people are in fact trapped there, everytime they try to exit they always end up coming back in the same room, regadless of the direction they go, and the same is for other people trapped in other points of the house. This is what is seen when one of the prisoners tries to open a door and go in another room of the house, the dialogue is the same I translated in the previous paragraph (sorry for the bad photo, I couldn't make it myself and there are no scans on internet).
This "universe" is part of the multiverse as the other universes, but there aren't other references of its nature, if not that some other windows look on the fabric between universes (that called hyperspace, which appears as a black abyss) and falling from there dooms you to an eternal fall.

I'd like some more context here, as well. On its own, this doesn't seem like anything that would meaningfully affect the scale of the cosmology.
I'm not sure if that can affect the cosmology, but it's worth of mention because those worlds are also important part of the story. Anyway, between each universe there is a fabric, a "space", repeteadly stated to be like an hyperspace. People who can travel between universes must know and cross paths and roads in this hyperspace in order to pass from a universe to another and not get lost in the infinity or end up in some far world and being unable to come back.
The vortexes I mentioned are "things" that exist in this fabric. Some of them are the result of the death of a universe, being it the natural end or caused by something else, other just exists.
Here in this "place" there are some areas that are defined as "non-where". In the non-where there are worlds that exist as dreams, the same dreams that humans visit with their consciusness while asleep.
These places are stated to be on the boundary between reality and non-existence, because sometimes they and their inhabitants exist and sometimes they don't. Normally it's impossible to physically enter these worlds, even for those who can travel between universes.
There, just like in other normal worlds, the laws of reality can be different and be influenced by different factors.

Once again, elaboration on this would be great. This description doesn't really make it sound like this world is transcendent over the multiversal structure, but maybe something exists that would suggest as much.
There are little to no details (at least for now, the series is still going on) of this place, but it's stated to exist totally outside the multiverse (even outside the non-where, which is still part of the multiverse). This is the place where the Great Old Ones (In the story they and the Outer Gods are the same group) reside and are selaed in their true form. They can only enter the multiverse by using avatars. The only description ever given belongs to a french alchemist that lived some century ago and was manipulated by the Great Old Ones, He claimed to having seen this place and described it as "Fifth Dimension" or "Alchemic Sky" and "A galaxy shaped like a dodecahedron". (Bad pictures FRA)
But that could just be flowery language.
However, this is what another psychic sees when she is telepathically contacted by the Great Old Ones.

There are many other details about the functioning of the universes, their mechanisms and other stuff related to characters, objects etc.., but those things are only related to the universes themselves.
A couple of examples are that some universes are infinite and others are small. There is a certain distance between each universe and the ones that are close can sometimes overlap, creating passages. Some objects or psychic powers can create portals, allowing someone to travel or even create entire universes. Crossing a universe affects the mind of a person in specific ways etc...

It's a comic book that started 20 years ago, and the multiverse, despite being only a part of the overall story, has received much attention, with many different situations related to characters, events and other things

Last edited:
It's not specified if time is part of it, but the protagonists pass through a portal and end in a house which is described by the villain as "This house is a tesseract... i.e. a solid body that extends in the fifth dimension. It's almost impossible to pass from a room to another, if you don't know how to do it... and it's even more impossible to get out!"

The protagonists and other people are in fact trapped there, everytime they try to exit they always end up coming back in the same room, regadless of the direction they go, and the same is for other people trapped in other points of the house. This is what is seen when one of the prisoners tries to open a door and go in another room of the house, the dialogue is the same I translated in the previous paragraph (sorry for the bad photo, I couldn't make it myself and there are no scans on internet).
This "universe" is part of the multiverse as the other universes, but there aren't other references of its nature, if not that some other windows look on the fabric between universes (that called hyperspace, which appears as a black abyss) and falling from there dooms you to an eternal fall.
Eh... this doesn't really convince me that it's an actual 5-D universe. It doesn't even use 5-D correctly: a tesseract is a 4-D shape, not a 5-D one- that would be a penteract.
I'm not sure if that can affect the cosmology, but it's worth of mention because those worlds are also important part of the story. Anyway, between each universe there is a fabric, a "space", repeteadly stated to be like an hyperspace. People who can travel between universes must know and cross paths and roads in this hyperspace in order to pass from a universe to another and not get lost in the infinity or end up in some far world and being unable to come back.
The vortexes I mentioned are "things" that exist in this fabric. Some of them are the result of the death of a universe, being it the natural end or caused by something else, other just exists.
Here in this "place" there are some areas that are defined as "non-where". In the non-where there are worlds that exist as dreams, the same dreams that humans visit with their consciusness while asleep.
These places are stated to be on the boundary between reality and non-existence, because sometimes they and their inhabitants exist and sometimes they don't. Normally it's impossible to physically enter these worlds, even for those who can travel between universes.
There, just like in other normal worlds, the laws of reality can be different and be influenced by different factors.
Yeah, this doesn't impact the cosmology that much.
There are little to no details (at least for now, the series is still going on) of this place, but it's stated to exist totally outside the multiverse (even outside the non-where, which is still part of the multiverse). This is the place where the Great Old Ones (In the story they and the Outer Gods are the same group) reside and are selaed in their true form. They can only enter the multiverse by using avatars. The only description ever given belongs to a french alchemist that lived some century ago and was manipulated by the Great Old Ones, He claimed to having seen this place and described it as "Fifth Dimension" or "Alchemic Sky" and "A galaxy shaped like a dodecahedron". (Bad pictures FRA)
But that could just be flowery language.
However, this is what another psychic sees when she is telepathically contacted by the Great Old Ones.
Now, this... this might be worthy of consideration. If it's completely outside of the entire multiverse and is described as a higher dimension, then I think a case can be made for Low 1-C here. Don't take my word alone for it, though.

Thank you for the evaluation.

I just specify that the physical house is described as being a tesseract, not the whole world. I think that the fifth dimension in which the house extends is the world around, if it makes sense.

No one would scale to low 1-C anyway, I guess, because the Great Old Ones exists there in their mist-like true form, but if I'm not wrong being higher-dimensional isn't enough to have a the related tier, but I was really interested in having a definition of this cosmology.

If I ever make profiles for these characters, I'll be sure to have them evaluated by multiple people, just to be sure.

Back