• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Problem With The Curse Manipulation Page

Curses are, by their definition ("fantastical abilities that are explicitly intended to cause harm and misfortune against the target") extremely subjective in how they're categorized due to their broad definition, with the line between offensive spells and curses in magic verses being drawn in many, many different places. For example, the Harry Potter verse basically defines any spell that causes excess harm or distress to its recipient as a curse (for example, there's a hair-loss spell that is defined as a curse).
In addition, save for vaguely-defined curses, many are just powers/abilities that are listed here. For example, a character that can cast a lycanthropy curse would be granted Power Bestowal and possibly Biological Manipulation, and someone who can cast a death curse would have Death Manipulation. So between the fairly vague definition of a curse, as well as the fact that we have powers pages that work just as well in place of Curse Manipulation, why do we even have such a page?

I guess curse its indeed a vague term, and people generally use it to refer to harmful effects of supernatural origin, and it not classify under magic or unholy manip since there's no other explicit statements.

this might just effect a verse I manage if this gets removed. I guess the way I see curse manip is similar to spells being casted on someone, I can see why it seems rather pointless to have curse manip when curse manip is really just another ability being done via a curse.

Back