• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A page on inverse square law

FanofRPGs

VS Battles
Retired
I feel this is an important topic that should have a page, and that is why I developed a rough draft on my profile on what the page would look like. Do you think such page should be submitted? Any suggestions on how my draft may be revised?

I am fine with adding such a page, but we should preferably link to it is one of our calculation instruction pages.

Example 1: Finding mass from a size change

A character can lift a sphere that weighs 3000 kilograms. This sphere is half a meter in radius. Now, this sphere is 10 meters in diameter, and he lifts it. How much does he lift?

First we find the area of the two spheres. The area of the sphere originally was 3.14159 square meters, and the upsized sphere is 1256.64 square meters. Then we apply the formula ''new area of the object/original area of the object x the initial mass of the object'' 1256.64 square meters/3.14159 square meters * 3000 kilograms Plugging it in, the person lifted a 1,200,003.82 kilogram sphere, which is Class M

So the original sphere is 1 meter in diameter, and the new sphere is ten times bigger. That means the original sphere had a surface area of 12.56m, not pi. That would've been true if we were using the area of a circle though. So the mass should be 300,000kg.

Though is the inverse square law appropriate for things like mass? All you're really doing is multiplying the mass by the difference of the size.

Back