• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A legendary Pokémon fights a rainbow horse (0-0-0)

So the AP is

11 teratons for Lugia
26 teratons for Rainbow dash

now RD has a >2x ap advantage however
1. Lugia cuts the first hit it takes by 50% via Multiscale
2. Lugia has a far superior ranged arsenal.

In fact i am pretty sure that the only thing she can do here is either use the rainboom or try and take it down physically which won't work out well as Lugia would pretty much lead with high ranged wind and beam attacks.

i don't think the AP is high enough for RD to easily take out Lugia but it is high enough for Lugia to get serious and nuke Rapidash with Psychic and extrasensory which would damage and immobilize rapidash (via flinch or just preventing the body from moving with psychic) and finally Lugia has the trusty ol' Future sight which would also come in handy. Also through what i know the Rainboom is what gave the 26tt results and so Rapidash would scale a bit lower than the attack and the attack is low enough for Lugia to tank in case something goes wrong. Also it could just buff itself with stat amplification moves to close the gap.

Basically:
I vote for Lugia via a higher arsenal of abilities and also psychic abilities, along with ways to heal and buff itself up.
Tbh i have issues with the match in general as the only thing RD has for her is AP and some skills, this could potentially be an ability stomp.

Rainbow dash does have the higher lifting strength though. Does that make a difference?

Rainbow dash does have the higher lifting strength though. Does that make a difference?
what's that gonna do, lift lugia?

It does prevent Lugia from pinning her down with psychic which takes out the option of this being a stomp, but Lugia has like 20 other things it can do.

what's that gonna do, lift lugia?

It does prevent Lugia from pinning her down with psychic which takes out the option of this being a stomp, but Lugia has like 20 other things it can do.
I have 2 options to make it fairer for the losing opponent:
Option 1: I unequalize speed

Option 2: I replace rainbow dash with Twilight Sparkle (using her 6-B key)

1. Lugia cuts the first hit it takes by 50% via Multiscale
We're talking about something she did as a kid and something she's canonically mastered to the point of doing the Rainboom on a literal dime.
In fact i am pretty sure that the only thing she can do here is either use the rainboom or try and take it down physically which won't work out well as Lugia would pretty much lead with high ranged wind and beam attacks.
Implying she either A: Can't simply dodge them (She's in perfect control of the Rainboom to the point of being able to do very sharp angles close to the ground, all at the very moment she does the Rainboom making it all the harder for her to control it due to the sudden increase in acceleration. Yet somehow, she flawlessly pulls off the turn anyway).

Or B: Plow through them with her at least 2.36x ap advantage.
Also through what i know the Rainboom is what gave the 26tt results
Nah, she scales to it normally via not being blown apart at the epicenter of the shockwave she makes.
I have 2 options to make it fairer for the losing opponent:
Option 1: I unequalize speed

Option 2: I replace rainbow dash with Twilight Sparkle (using her 6-B key)
The bold is what I pick. It's scaling way above relativistic+ vs ftl. Dash can actually get more than one hit in if Lugia decides to respond with hax.

Even if she can control rainboom well that doesn't stop Lugia from using pyschic abilities do take her down or stop her via flinching.
She ain't exactly gonna Plow through it with that AP difference. You'd need a higher difference to do something like that.
And Psychic and Extrasensory cannot be plowed through as they are not a corporeal attack

Lets her dodge the physical attacks, and two of the psychic attacks are described as telekinesis.
Good thing that AP difference was there since she was a filly.
It's telekinesis based on the descriptions. If it can't overwhelm her AP or LS, yes it is getting plowed through.

She's not plowing through telekenetic abilities that can make someone flinch, and i don't mean flinch as in just staggering for a moment, i mean completley losing all momentum behind it's attack.

Lugia also has Hurricane which would, after a few hits, cause confusion and considering it's AOE it ain't exactly easy to dodge. Confusion would make RD's sense of direction broken and could even cause her to hit herself.

I still believe that Lugia can take her down in a few hits whilst also setting up future sight which is unavoidable. Also critical hits will make the attack 1.5x stronger which will happen as lugia has abilities boosting the critcal hit rate.

Lugia can also heal any damage recieved via recover.

It's a tough fight but Rainbow dash would simply get hit with too many things at once and AP isn't gonna make up for it.

Yes she can dodge the attacks but so can Lugia. Just because it's big doesn't mean it doesn't know how to dodge. It has fought small opponents before.

Just gonna say this now, you keep talking about the additional effects of Lugia's moves as if they would inflict their conditions 100% of the time. But keep in mind that many of those moves have a pretty low chance of actually working, as many dedicated Pokémon players are aware. A good example is Extrasensory, which only has a 10% chance of actually causing the opponent to flinch, or Twister, which has a 20% chance to flinch.

Also, Lugia cannot naturally learn Hurricane. Remember that on VSBW, Pokémon can only use their Level-Up moves, Egg moves, and specialty Tutor moves whenever applicable, such as Rayquaza's Dragon Ascent.

She's not plowing through telekenetic abilities that can make someone flinch, and i don't mean flinch as in just staggering for a moment, i mean completley losing all momentum behind it's attack.
Emphasis on "can".
Lugia also has Hurricane which would, after a few hits, cause confusion and considering it's AOE it ain't exactly easy to dodge. Confusion would make RD's sense of direction broken and could even cause her to hit herself.
"Wraps it's opponent in fierce wind". I'm gonna assume it knocks you around which confuses you by messing with your sense of direction? Basically, imbalancing ear fluid from being tossed around by the high winds? I mean, that's the only way I can imagine high-speed winds can confuse you.

Yeah, no, that ain't working. Dash was put through a machine designed to mimic this exact type of stuff and was not affected in the slightest.
I still believe that Lugia can take her down in a few hits whilst also setting up future sight which is unavoidable. Also critical hits will make the attack 1.5x stronger which will happen as lugia has abilities boosting the critcal hit rate.
Dash utterly tanked 26 teratons. As in, took zero damage. That tends to be a given when you're at the epicenter of the shockwave you create. If she can tank that much damage, then Lugia with his 2.36x ap disadvantage isn't hurting her with a critical.
It's a tough fight but Rainbow dash would simply get hit with too many things at once and AP isn't gonna make up for it.
This thing is a pacifist by nature. You can feel free to tell me how often it'll lead with its more annoying moves.

Last edited:
Just gonna say this now, you keep talking about the additional effects of Lugia's moves as if they would inflict their conditions 100% of the time. But keep in mind that many of those moves have a pretty low chance of actually working, as many dedicated Pokémon players are aware. A good example is Extrasensory, which only has a 10% chance of actually causing the opponent to flinch, or Twister, which has a 20% chance to flinch.

Also, Lugia cannot naturally learn Hurricane. Remember that on VSBW, Pokémon can only use their Level-Up moves, Egg moves, and specialty Tutor moves whenever applicable, such as Rayquaza's Dragon Ascent.
Thank you. I was thinking the same stuff while replying.

Like many legendary Pokémon before and after him, Lugia's first move will most likely be an Aeroblast, to which I can assume that Rainbow Dash can easily dodge. Heck, Rainbow Dash actually has the mobility advantage here, considering both how small she is and how nimble she is in the air.

Except in the ocean or other large body of water, which they are close enough to thanks to SBA. Which can actually give Lugia a fair advantage against her, and he does tend to retreat into the water if he feels himself in danger. And if he's feeling in danger, he would probably start throwing out some status moves at this point, like Swagger or Tailwind or Feather Dance.

And if he's feeling in danger, he would probably start throwing out some status moves at this point, like Swagger or Tailwind or Feather Dance.
Multiple descriptions of the move say that it enrages the target into confusion. Doesn't that imply he'd have to perform an action to do that?

Ok i guess i can argue using that then.

Swagger is pretty much instant confusion and I guess Lugia can just begin spamming long range attacks after that.

"Being peacful by nature" means nothing as both are determined to kill by SBA

And yes it can indeed boost itself with calm mind which is also something you can use over and over again.

In a bit the damage will accumulate and it might be enough to take RD out

Ok i guess i can argue using that then.

Swagger is pretty much instant confusion and I guess Lugia can just begin spamming long range attacks after that.

"Being peacful by nature" means nothing as both are determined to kill by SBA

And yes it can indeed boost itself with calm mind which is also something you can use over and over again.

In a bit the damage will accumulate and it might be enough to take RD out
This ain't bloodlust where combatants are mindhaxed to use their best moves asap. I brought that up because it implies a standard method of attacking and tactics.

Yes there is but I'm not suggesting it won't start with aeroblast

I'm saying that it doesn't mean that it won't begin using different suggested tactics when it notices that it's attacks aren't strong enough or fast enough.

that just sounds like Lugias was more effortless
Flapping your wings actually takes more effort than it's being made out to be. I can guarantee it's not nearly as effortless as you claim when compared to completely tanking your feat when you're a kid who isn't even fully grown nor at full potential yet.

Flapping your wings actually takes more effort than it's being made out to be. I can guarantee it's not nearly as effortless as you claim when compared to completely tanking your feat when you're a kid who isn't even fully grown nor at full potential yet.
Kid on its own doesn’t give any indication of power other then a fair bit weaker

Casually flying around takes more effort than doing an acrobatic dive bomb maneuver yes
Right, so she's doing the feat by flying around for all intents and purposes. Let's not try and make things sound more effortful than they actually are. The first two times were by complete accident. One can supposedly do it by flapping its wings with unknown effort and the other can literally pull it off instantaneously just to show off in buckball practice. They're both super casual about it. The difference is Dash has being casual about it + being able to tank it completely. Tanking something already implies effortlessness.

Last edited:
When the arguments for someone boils down to slight chances and extremely specific out-of-character strategies I take that as a sign they're not going to win most of the time.
For the sake of deciding a victor, remember that we only need to decide who wins most of the time, they do not have to win in every imaginable scenario.
For that reason and those above, I vote Rainbow Dash Mid-Diff.

Despite their presence on the profile, I assume we aren't involving IQ Skills?

Given the statistical disadvantage, & being unlikely to use the proper skills soon enough, I don't think Lugia can win reliably.

In theory, with speed equal & its large range & size, it could hit fairly often, especially if RD has to break out of telekinesis to move.
There's also the matter of the long game, given Pressure would double RD's Stamina consumption, & Lugia can use Recover, but then we have the question of who runs out of Stamina first.
Spamming Aeroblast might not work, so if Lugia realizes that, it might resort to such a strategy, given its pacifistic nature; Trying to have RD exhaust herself would be less destructive to the world than spamming hurricanes & such.

Still, as is, I'm unsure Lugia can win this reliably enough to be favored in this match.

I honestly have to agree.

More often than not, I would have to say Rainbow Dash should win FRA. It's not a 100% certain victory, but I believe it is a victory for the pony.

Back