• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Agatha vs. Allister: Ghost-type Trainers Showdown

SamanPatou

VS Battles
Administrator
Agatha wants to test the new generation of ghost-type trainers, and to do so she invites Allister to Kanto and challenges him.

The battle takes place in Agatha's room inside the Indigo Plateau.

They are using their teams, and Allister's is from the Champion Tournament.
The rules are those of a normal Pokémon Battle.

Agatha: 8 (Crimson Shadow101, StrymULTRA, Starter Pack, Waka1979, The Axiom of Virgo, Armorchompy, Mr. Bambu, WeeklyBattles)
Allister: 2 (Garchomp777, King Clab)
Incon:

Onion.%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29.full.2846044.png

agatha.png
180px-Sword_Shield_Allister.png

Last edited:
He does, but I specified in the op that Agatha also can use it (thanks to the arena) and has prep time to learn about it.

As all Pokémon can use Dynamax depending on the situation, this shouldn't break any vs battle rule, despite Agatha never used it.

Otherwise, I'll forbid it for her, and maybe switch with another character if it becomes a stomp or too unfair.

Weirdly enough, we lack good opponents, as there's no that much choice with the current profiles (I wanted to match the dynamax with a mega, but I didn't find a trainer in Alliter's ap range who had a mega and didn't have a type advantage).

I'll change the rules, putting them in a different stage, so Allister can't access dynamax. (edit: done).

Champion cup gym leaders are essentially Elite 4 level trainers, so there's that, but Alister is incredibly young and probably only has a few years of experience at most, while Agatha is rather old and likely has a shit ton of experience under her belt. Voting for the old woman for now.

Last edited:
Allister Has a slight type advantage (Ghost resist Poison) So 2 of Agatha Pokemon are always going to be useless. Make that three if we are going to use Let's go Pikachu, So it will pretty much always be a 3 vs 5. He also has way more experince with using Dynamax, He also has trickroom, in case she has a faster team (Which is unlikly via the Level diffrence) He can change the Battlefeild to his advantage, Espically when she does not know what trick-room does.

I vote allister via Better Experince with Dynamax and More useful moves.

Allister Has a slight type advantage (Ghost resist Poison) So 2 of Agatha Pokemon are always going to be useless. Make that three if we are going to use Let's go Pikachu, So it will pretty much always be a 3 vs 5 because Her Poison types Only has a 30% chance of Poising. Plus Allister team is level 70 at best while Agatha is only Level 64 at best. He also has way more experince with using Dynamax, He also has trickroom, in case she has a faster team (Which is unlikly via the Level diffrence) He can change the Battlefeild to his advantage, Espically when she does not know what trick-room does.

I vote allister via Higher level Pokemon and More useful moves.
Using game mechanics

Level aren't accounted for the profiles, as they are game mechanics, we give tier to trainers depending on their Pokémon, status (gym leaders, elite 4, champions...) and demonstrations.

Also, Allister can't use Dynamax in this location, and I doubt Agatha doesn't know what trick-room does.

Type resistance if fine, but that doesn't make a Pokémon useless.

Level aren't accounted for the profiles, as they are game mechanics, we give tier to trainers depending on their Pokémon, status (gym leaders, elite 4, champions...) and demonstrations.

Also, Allister can't use Dynamax in this location, and I doubt Agatha doesn't know what trick-room does.

Type resistance if fine, but that doesn't make a Pokémon useless.
Whoop's, I forgot about game mechanic's and the Area just know.

Which team are we using For Agatha again? (She has 4 Diffrent team's)

The one on her profile (she could use an update, but for now that will be good).

After looking at both team's for 5 minutes each and doing research on their moves I can up with an Argument.

Agatha best ghost move is Lick which can Paralize All of Allister's Pokemon, And the other is confuse ray which is going to be very hard for Allister to deal with but you need to get up close with the Enemy to make this work and this is her only move that can hurt Allister super-effictively.
(Confuse ray can be Dodged)

While Allister has a way more Reliable way of Hitting her Pokemon Super-Effectly with Shadow ball. So Agatha Best Option is to use range Move's like Genger's Mega drain, Golbat's Toxic, Haunter's Hypnosis, Arbok's Acid and Final Genger's Psychic. While all of Allister's Pokemon has a range move.
(Exept for Dusknoir and Runerigus)

Agatha would beat Dusknoir and Runergus with out much diff, but She has to deal with Pokemon that can Out-Range you and that do Super-Effective Damage at the same time, While she can get thru this thank's to Some of her Pokemon having Ranged moves as well and she possibly went thru the same Strat Before, but None do super-effective damage, Allister team will take a couple of hit's before they Faint and None were likly as skilled as Allister.

Voting Allister via being able to Out-Range

Last edited:
Wait since when did ghost resist poison?
https://www.smogon.com/dex/rb/types/ghost/ Since Generation 1. However, Generation 1 also had Bug as Super-Effective against Poison. (& Poison was Super-Effective against Bug.). Although, given how the game erroneously displays SE or not for when a Pokemon has a type that resists the move its hit by while its other type is weak to it, I'm not sure how much this Gen 1 type chart oddity contributed to the knowledge (Or lack thereof.) of this type matchup.

But yeah. This means Gengar 4x Resists Bug & Poison type attacks. (Also, irrelevant, but since Poison resists Fighting, even if Foresight/Scrappy is active, Gengar still Resists Fighting. despite not being immune anymore.)

Hm, toughie. Though, the thinking that Champions Cup Gym Leaders are E4 level is more or less flawed, since the Gym Leaders are specifically ordered in terms of power level when they are assigned to their gyms at the start of the game. While this does mean that Alister is certainly around that level, he is also the fourth Gym Leader in the region.

That being said, I'm voting Agatha due to her experience as well. While she may not be intimately familiar with the Ghost type Pokémon Alister has, she has a lot more experience with Ghost types in general, as well as pure battle experience.

I hate everyone who votes Agatha. Why cant you losers understand Galar has far more skilled trainers
Galar leaders literally have no other comparison to other regions outside of Raihan who only has comparisons to other regions based on a "rumor." Insulting your opposition doesn't make your argument better.

Its just a joke chill
Bruh you can't call people stupid then respond with "it's a joke chill" when called out on that

Anyway, Allister does have an advantage, and it's that Agatha won't be able to play around Cursola and Runerigus' abilities until they activate, which might potentially be advantageous to him.

I suggest we stop voting for now and try and replay the battle step by step, see if we can figure out how it might go

I don't think it influences the battle that much, Allister's Cursola doesn't have Perish Body and Wandering spirit isn't that incapacitating, given that Agatha's Pokémon don't have particularly useful abilities for this match.

And iirc, we don't consider trainers' Pokémon as having all moves and abilities as we do with standard Pokémon profile, we judge them by what they have in their in-game arsenal.

Alright so, working off the assumption they both lead with the Pokèmon they do in-game, the first fight is Gengar vs Dusknoir. Now, while Dusknoir has Disable to remove Gengar's Shadow Ball, it has Shadow Punch as a backup, and Double Team + Toxic should do an amazing job at wearing down a tank like Dusknoir. Dusknoir's Fire Punch and Ice Punch should be worthless. However due to Dusknoir's Pressure Gengar will likely be somewhat worn down.

1-0, I believe Allister will send out Runerigus because of its ground type. Now, it can Disable Double Team, or hit in an AOE with Earthquake, and worsen Gengar's evasion even more with Trick Room which will also slow it down. Easy clap, and due to their movesets Runerigus' ability shouldn't come into play.

1-1, Agatha send out Golbat, I believe. While it is faster (ergo, slower), it's Flying type, and can use Runerigus' strength against it with Confuse Ray, and do some good damage with Bite. However this will give Runerigus Inner Spirit, so Bite can't flinch. Still, I think Golbat should take it more often than not.

Have I gotten something wrong so far?

Alright so, working off the assumption they both lead with the Pokèmon they do in-game, the first fight is Gengar vs Dusknoir. Now, while Dusknoir has Disable to remove Gengar's Shadow Ball, it has Shadow Punch as a backup, and Double Team + Toxic should do an amazing job at wearing down a tank like Dusknoir. Dusknoir's Fire Punch and Ice Punch should be worthless. However due to Dusknoir's Pressure Gengar will likely be somewhat worn down.

1-0, I believe Allister will send out Runerigus because of its ground type. Now, it can Disable Double Team, or hit in an AOE with Earthquake, and worsen Gengar's evasion even more with Trick Room which will also slow it down. Easy clap, and due to their movesets Runerigus' ability shouldn't come into play.

1-1, Agatha send out Golbat, I believe. While it is faster (ergo, slower), it's flying, and can use Runerigus' strength against it with Confuse Ray, and do some good damage with Bite. However this will give Runerigus Inner Spirit, so Bite can't flinch. Still, I think Golbat should take it more often than not.

Have I gotten something wrong so far?
I don’t see anything wrong right now.

Gengar has Levitation and his immune to Earthquake, at least as long it doesn't attack Runerigus physically.

Back