• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cradle Series Discussion Thread

I’m looking at the speed for some of these guys at monarch lvl and it’s relativistic? Shouldn’t it be like infinite speed in there fighting at speeds comparable to teleportation?
From what I remember it's less so that their fighting at speeds comparable to teleportation and more so that they are so much faster compared most attacks/others attacks at their level that any of those attack short of teleportation is relatively "slow" to them

You can certainly interpret the statement/feat in a somewhat infinite speed way but I think the above explanation perfectly fine and more consistent than outright infinite speed, though as it is I am working on some infinite speed stuff for Judges

From what I remember it's less so that their fighting at speeds comparable to teleportation and more so that they are so much faster compared most attacks/others attacks at their level that any of those attack short of teleportation is relatively "slow" to them

You can certainly interpret the statement/feat in a somewhat infinite speed way but I think the above explanation perfectly fine and more consistent than outright infinite speed, though as it is I am working on some infinite speed stuff for Judges
Either way they should be far faster than just relativistic if anything that isn’t instantaneous and is considered “slow” for them. I’ll probably go back and read through that part but wasn’t there also a moment were malice like reacted to yerin teleporting?

Either way they should be far faster than just relativistic if anything that isn’t instantaneous and is considered “slow” for them. I’ll probably go back and read through that part but wasn’t there also a moment were malice like reacted to yerin teleporting?
I'll try rereading some of these scene to get a fresh opinion on them
Gonna check out the tracker gate trilogy soon
Nice I read it a while ago so my memory of it is somewhat foggy but if you do end up reading it you can probably help make profiles for that

Finished book 1, pretty good setup. My only complaints are that I would have liked to see Simon interact with alin and Leah more before the sacrifices started. I also would have liked more scenes from alin’s percpective to see what he thinks of Simon and him exploring his territory. And Andra just getting dragon fang on a silver platter kinda bothers me.

Finished book 3, liked the ending but it definitely needs more books, it straight up felt like the beginnings and of another arc
Yeah it is getting more books, Will already confirmed that his next project in Amalgam(The Iteration the Series takes place in) is a "Traveler's Blade" Trilogy but if you're looking for a bit more travelers gate content immediately there the "Traveler's Gate Chronicles" which is a collection of short stories taking place a short time after book 3 within the various territories.

also what your thoughts on the ending? The more I think about the more mixed feelings I have about it
It's been a bit since I read it but I thought the ending was mostly fine but as you said before it felt like it was leading into another series. At first I was disappointed cause it felt kinda like a big cliffhanger but with the knowledge that Will is going to continue it at some point in the future I'm fine with it

It's been a bit since I read it but I thought the ending was mostly fine but as you said before it felt like it was leading into another series. At first I was disappointed cause it felt kinda like a big cliffhanger but with the knowledge that Will is going to continue it at some point in the future I'm fine with it
Idk, I’ve been going back forth on it mainly because of Simon pledging himself to Leah and the eldest getting on him to take back Kathrine fang

Idk, I’ve been going back forth on it mainly because of Simon pledging himself to Leah and the eldest getting on him to take back Kathrine fang
True, You'd expect that he'd finally get some control over the direction of his life now that he's become the master of Valinhall but it still feels like people are just sending him around on errands though hopefully that could change by the next series.

I think I kind of get the decision to have him pledge himself to Leah being sort of him being like Indrial who sort of did the same for the last ruler but yeah the sheer lack of person direction Simon had by the end did feel unsatisfying

Added a page for Akura Charity

Added the page for the sage of endless swords

New thread to officially add a few calcs that got accepted and further breakdown the speed and lift strength scaling

Finished Cradle and the two Last Horizon books.

Going through Elder Empire now (1/3rd of the way through). Afterwards, I'll re-read Traveler's Blade (and its short stories) while taking notes for its profiles.

There is a likely Multi-Continental feat in Elder Empire that scales to Cradle's Sages/Heralds (Wouldn't upgrade Cradle, but be a great supporting feat. Consistency!).

The Emperor swirled the tea in his cup, thinking. “What do you know about Nakothi, the Dead Mother?”
Shera’s flesh seemed to crawl at the very mention of the name, and she thought she heard whispers coming from somewhere nearby.
“Only what everyone knows,” Lucan said.
“Pardon me if I am somewhat unfamiliar with what everyone knows,” the Emperor said drily. “I was the one who drove the spear into Nakothi’s heart, before her death-throes leveled a continent and created the Aion Sea.”

-First Shadow, Chapter Sixteen

Made a keyword search ahead for more context of the event, and these are what I found:
“This island, as you may have noticed, is not normal.” His mother stomped the ground, which slapped as though she’d kicked someone in the ribs. “According to our records, it began as the land where Nakothi’s corpse fell when she was defeated by the Emperor and Estyr Six. The Dead Mother’s body landed here, after her death throes shattered the land around her.
Estyr gave a wry grin. “A few times. Hammering out the Empire was more than just slamming Nakothi through a continental shelf.”
The sheer scope of the destruction made him wonder if he and Estyr were the only living humans left for a thousand miles. The earth shook and rolled like the sea in storm, fire boiling up from below. The ocean rushed in from all sides, meeting magma in explosions of steam. Towering cathedrals toppled, crashing into fortresses and smashing homes to dust.

The death throes of Nakothi, the Dead Mother, had destroyed this land. Were still destroying it, in fact—the Great Elders did not die easily. Miles to the west, her great body heaved, breaking mountains. A single hand big enough to blot out the sun thrust into the sky, reaching up as if for salvation. Her pained screams cut through even the cracking of a shattering continent.
The Hydras crowed at the sight, delighting in the destruction. It raised memories of Nakothi’s death, and the devastation that had swallowed an entire continent.

The Empire is made from the eastern continent of Aurelia and the western continent, Izyria. The Aion Sea is an ocean (described as such many times) between them, and a voyage between the two continents takes weeks.

It is stated that the distance between two locations are thousands of miles apart:
They paid taxes because their ancestors had always done so, but they never received anything in return. There were no roads. No one gave them food or shelter from the winter storms. No Guild came to defend them from the frequent Kameira attacks, and there were no chapter houses within a thousand miles. Quite simply, they had never been part of the Empire, except in name.

-Second Sea, Chapter Nine
“We needed an early warning system, but the Great Elders died thousands of miles apart. It took us decades to finally track down and kill them all. If they started to stir, I could never act in time, no matter how early the warning. I needed a way to respond to all the Great Elders from a single location.

-Second Shadow, Chapter Sixteen
Statues of the Emperor, designed and invested by the man himself to amplify Reading, were spaced out hundreds or thousands of miles apart as part of the Optasia system. The Capital had the highest concentration, with three such statues located in a rough triangle outside the city’s borders.

-Last Sea, Chapter Nineteen

Furthermore, it is stated that it is daylight at Aurelia while night at Izyria, so the two continents surround Asylum's planet:
The sudden shift to darkness startled her until she realized it made sense—they were seeing events all over the world. It was common knowledge that people in Izyria saw the moon while the Aurelian continent enjoyed daylight, but it was disquieting to see the truth of it before her.

-Second Shadow, Chapter Eighteen

One of the Great Elders is chained in a drowned city at the bottom of the Aion Sea.

Will stated that the Sword Sage is comparable to the Emperor.
A fight against Yerin's master would be pretty even. Depends on the circumstances at that point, like how well-armed the Emperor is and how seriously the Sword Sage takes the fight from the very beginning.

I combined two cool cover arts of the protagonists, which would fit the official illustration section in the Willverse page.

AzKVWAR.png

For the scaling, the other good scalable feat so far is a character's punch shaking an entire underground arena, which is maybe Tier 8.
She managed to duck the strike, leaving his punch to hit solid stone.
The low wall cracked, shaking the entire arena.
So we will likely use Will's statements scaling the mid-tiers to Simon.

There are also lore quotes and a glossary, which are useful for creating a blog for Asylum's power system if we get to it eventually. The Elders are essentially sealed Fiends.

Going through Elder Empire now (1/3rd of the way through). Afterwards, I'll re-read Traveler's Blade (and its short stories) while taking notes for its profiles.

There is a likely Multi-Continental feat in Elder Empire that scales to Cradle's Sages/Heralds (Wouldn't upgrade Cradle, but be a great supporting feat. Consistency!).

The Emperor swirled the tea in his cup, thinking. “What do you know about Nakothi, the Dead Mother?”
Shera’s flesh seemed to crawl at the very mention of the name, and she thought she heard whispers coming from somewhere nearby.
“Pardon me if I am somewhat unfamiliar with what everyone knows,” the Emperor said drily. “I was the one who drove the spear into Nakothi’s heart, before her death-throes leveled a continent and created the Aion Sea.”

Made a keyword search ahead for more context of the event, and these are what I found:
“This island, as you may have noticed, is not normal.” His mother stomped the ground, which slapped as though she’d kicked someone in the ribs. “According to our records, it began as the land where Nakothi’s corpse fell when she was defeated by the Emperor and Estyr Six. The Dead Mother’s body landed here, after her death throes shattered the land around her.
Estyr gave a wry grin. “A few times. Hammering out the Empire was more than just slamming Nakothi through a continental shelf.”
The sheer scope of the destruction made him wonder if he and Estyr were the only living humans left for a thousand miles. The earth shook and rolled like the sea in storm, fire boiling up from below. The ocean rushed in from all sides, meeting magma in explosions of steam. Towering cathedrals toppled, crashing into fortresses and smashing homes to dust.

The death throes of Nakothi, the Dead Mother, had destroyed this land. Were still destroying it, in fact—the Great Elders did not die easily. Miles to the west, her great body heaved, breaking mountains. A single hand big enough to blot out the sun thrust into the sky, reaching up as if for salvation. Her pained screams cut through even the cracking of a shattering continent.
The Hydras crowed at the sight, delighting in the destruction. It raised memories of Nakothi’s death, and the devastation that had swallowed an entire continent.

The Empire is made from the eastern continent of Aurelia and the western continent, Izyria. The Aion Sea is an ocean (described as such many times) between them, and a voyage between the two continents takes weeks.

It is stated that the distance between two locations are thousands of miles apart:
They paid taxes because their ancestors had always done so, but they never received anything in return. There were no roads. No one gave them food or shelter from the winter storms. No Guild came to defend them from the frequent Kameira attacks, and there were no chapter houses within a thousand miles. Quite simply, they had never been part of the Empire, except in name.

“We needed an early warning system, but the Great Elders died thousands of miles apart. It took us decades to finally track down and kill them all. If they started to stir, I could never act in time, no matter how early the warning. I needed a way to respond to all the Great Elders from a single location.

Statues of the Emperor, designed and invested by the man himself to amplify Reading, were spaced out hundreds or thousands of miles apart as part of the Optasia system. The Capital had the highest concentration, with three such statues located in a rough triangle outside the city’s borders.

Furthermore, it is stated that it is daylight at Aurelia while night at Izyria, so the two continents surround Asylum's planet:
The sudden shift to darkness startled her until she realized it made sense—they were seeing events all over the world. It was common knowledge that people in Izyria saw the moon while the Aurelian continent enjoyed daylight, but it was disquieting to see the truth of it before her.

One of the Great Elders is chained in a drowned city at the bottom of the Aion Sea.

A fight against Yerin's master would be pretty even. Depends on the circumstances at that point, like how well-armed the Emperor is and how seriously the Sword Sage takes the fight from the very beginning.

I combined two cool cover arts of the protagonists, which would fit the official illustration section in the Willverse page.

AzKVWAR.png

For the scaling, the other good scalable feat so far is a character's punch shaking an entire underground arena, which is maybe Tier 8.

There are also lore quotes and a glossary, which are useful for creating a blog for Asylum's power system if we get to it eventually. The Elders are essentially sealed Fiends.
Haven’t gotten the chance to get to the empire series yet, but I did finish cradle and travlers gate

AzKVWAR.png

Damn this is great stuff, I haven't gotten too far I to Elder Empire but currently I'm re reading Travellers gate while marking down important stuff.

Thanks for all this information

New addition thread for the cosmology, Ozriel and Eithan

Cosmology Blog

Ozriel's Profile Sandbox

Eithan's Profile

The official profiles for Ozriel and Eithan have been added + I overhauled the general verse page

Also as I start reading the Elder Empire series in earnest this time I'm also working on a profile for Simon from traveler's gate

Amazing work as usual.

Third Last Horizon book on June 11th.

“As the Knight of The Last Horizon, I challenge you.”
The Last Horizon has already sown new legends across the galaxy, tales of monsters defeated and worlds saved. For better and for worse, their reputation is spreading.
Their enemies have taken notice.
On Karosha, the Perfected gather fleets crewed by inhumanly flawless soldiers. In the Galactic Union, the secretive organization known as Solstice pulls strings in the shadows. And in the depths of Dark Space, after years of silence, the ravenous D’Niss begin to stir.
Raion Raithe, Knight of The Last Horizon, sees these threats as a chance to redeem himself. He will stand against the danger, and he will stand strong, no matter what it costs.
His friends are counting on him.

IMG_7103.jpg
IMG_7104.jpg

The D'Niss are extra-dimensional insects from an other universe, so a good chance for cosmology lore.

Will joked about sticking to a rainbow color wheel for his release order. If so, the next books would be:
4- The Pilot (Orange) - Omega vs Solstice
5- The Commander (Yellow) - Shyrax vs the Perfected and the usurpation of her throne
6- The Sword (Green) - Sola vs [insert threat replacing obsession with the Iron King/Legion]

The next Cradle book collection is called Cradle: Ascension, and an official Cradle map is in the works. The script for the animatic is finished and storyboarding is in progress.

Apparently the owner of Mithra (now Simon) is able to command Nye:
Light from the moon and stars turned the scene into a vision from a particularly strange and violent dream. Dozens of Nye ducked, leaped, and slithered their way around attacks, striking back with their chains. Some of them swung weighted chains in huge, deadly arcs, smashing through armor. Others used their chains more nimbly, like ropes or lassos, grabbing weapons out of the soldiers’ hands and pulling them to the ground. Still others used the method the Nye favored in the House: sneaking up to their victims and strangling from behind.

The Damascan soldiers, for their part, tried their best to form up in orderly ranks. Orders were shouted back and forth across the field, in contrast to the Nye, who fought in almost complete silence. As Simon arrived, one squad of fifteen or twenty men assembled in a circle, every man facing outward, spears and shields at the ready. In the first instant, their spears sent several of the Nye crawling back to Valinhall.

Then the Nye noticed. Several melted down to pools of shadow and moonlight, crawling over to rest under and between the soldiers’ feet. Simon wasn’t sure what the tactic was supposed to accomplish until he saw one man in red-andgold fall to the ground, then another. More black robes flooded in between the open gaps in the formation, black chains taking man after man down by the throat.

[...]

Eyes in front, Angeline warned, and Simon levered Azura down to skewer a rushing Nye that barely stood as tall as his shoulder.

Angeline, what are the Nye doing here? Simon asked, wading around the group of soldiers. Azura’s blade was so long that he couldn’t fight side-by-side with them, not unless he wanted to use the sword like a spear and join in one of their formations, but if he could stay apart from the press of men, then he could take care of any Nye that sought him out. And Simon knew the Nye well enough to realize that they would seek him out. They would attack anyone who wasn’t helpless.

They follow whoever carries Mithra.

Mithra?
Simon asked, cutting down one of the Nye that had tried to slip up behind him.

The golden Dragon’s Fang, Angeline responded. It’s the original sword, the sword of the Wanderer, and the Nye respect its authority.

With Mithra, Simon's new advisor is the Eldest Nye himself. Each Dragon Fang comes with a different advisor.
Kai had the Daughters of the Wind, Andra has a flying cloth doll, Kathrin has a talking owl capable of long-distance communication, Denner has a talking book, and Indirial had a golden medallion wtih a black gem.

Though the dolls volunteered to accompany Simon even though he is no longer the owner of Azura.

For calculable attack feats, it is looking like Tier 8 to Tier 7.
  • Malachi with the Ragnarus mask is stated to have enough power to level the city of Bel Calem and Alin's shield held without cracking.
  • The aftershock of a Lightning Spear throw dug a trench through snow that extends beyond the horizon.
  • An arrow of light from Valinhall's Steel Bow can punch straight through an entire forest of trees.
  • The Naraka Incarnation's hammer blow is stated to be able to level a palace.
  • Zakareth's barrel attack reduced the royal palace to rubble, and Incarnation Indirial managed to survive it with Ghost Armor though with severe injuries.
As ever, Malachi found wearing the Ragnarus mask a disturbing experience. On the one side, it made him feel like a demigod, pulling enough power from Naraka to level Bel Calem itself. With this mask, he could call enough fire to blacken the sky with smoke and ash, and the strength and energy flowing through him made him feel as though he could bend steel in his bare hands. That feeling was a drug all its own.
A line of snow had been torn away in the wake of the spear’s passing, leaving a path like an arrow from the gray wall in front of her, through the spot where the mirka had stood, and stretching as far as Leah could see in the distance. Only specks of scorched fur and blue blood on the snow nearby gave any sign that the monster had ever been there.

The path was bare soil, totally clear of snow, and it led straight to her father.

Well, King Zakareth had been considerate enough to make her a trail. She might as well make use of it.
Simon wasn’t fast enough to dodge the arrow of light. Not even close. But with a whispered warning from Angeline he managed to throw himself into the treeline at the edge of their clearing. He fell into underbrush, branches and leaves scratching his skin as the arrow blazed overhead with a heavenly light. It struck a tree above Simon and burned straight through. When he stood and looked, he could see through the hole in that tree…and through the hole in the tree behind that, and the tree behind that one, all the way to the edge of the woods.
When the fire cleared, the Naraka Incarnation was there, swinging a hammer at the top of Alin’s shield. He struck with enough force to level a palace, smashing Alin and his green shield down into the dust.

Alin struck the ground with the power of a meteorite impact, sending rings of dust rolling away from his landing.

The shield absorbed most of the damage, leaving Alin to stand mostly unharmed. If he had taken the hit, he would have had to rebuild his body with the rose light, and that would have wasted precious seconds.
King Zakareth stood next to a huge Ragnarus Gate. Another woman, red-skinned and clothed in scarlet light, sat inside the Territory, perched on something that looked like an impossibly massive barrel tipped on its side so Indirial looked down its deep, dark mouth. If the woman on the top of the barrel was any indication of scale, it looked like it could swallow a wagon and a team of horses.
Indirial didn’t know what was supposed to come out of that barrel, but he liked the look of it. Maybe this would be a true test. He dropped the Spear and summoned Vasha, holding her in both hands.
We’re dead, Korr whispered.
“There’s no one else like you, Indirial,” King Zakareth shouted. “But I can always build another palace.”
Red light swelled deep within the barrel.

Indirial called ghost armor.

The room vanished in a tide of red light.
[...]
When Leah left the Crimson Vault, her world had changed. Everything seemed flatter, for one thing. As she picked her way over the rubble of the royal palace—Ragnarus Gates only had one exit—she stumbled and fell no less than six times. Her hands were scraped raw from catching herself on rough stone, but she couldn’t seem to judge distances properly with one eye. Her father had apparently adjusted, so she would have to as well.
[...]
She looked regal, as well she might considering that she was sitting there on a throne. The ruby-and-gold seat had been hauled out of the ruins of the main palace and relocated here, a separate building on palace grounds that had miraculously escaped destruction.
Though we have scaling from Will with Cradle, such as the Lightning Spear fodderizing Jai Long's Ancestor Spear, and Simon being a strong Underlord for a few minutes with the mask.

The Lightning Spear is stated multiple times to be as fast lightning, which is good supporting evidence for speed.
It took one step toward her.

Then the air exploded.

It sounded like standing inside a thunderclap. Leah screamed, but she couldn’t hear herself. She felt like someone had shoved an ice pick in each of her ears.

The rest happened in an instant. Something slammed into the mirka’s side, fast as a bolt of lightning, and Leah got a quick and blurry glimpse of crimson and gold. It hit the mirkaso hard and fast that the beast seemed to vanish, blasted away and out of Leah’s sight so fast that she could barely see it move.
The wind of the projectile’s passing caught her, tore at her cloak, threatened to throw her from her feet. The wind hit her face with surprising heat.

Leah stayed standing, but she was having trouble catching her breath. She recognized that terrifying weapon, that deadly force of nature.

It was her father’s spear.
A line of snow had been torn away in the wake of the spear’s passing, leaving a path like an arrow from the gray wall in front of her, through the spot where the mirka had stood, and stretching as far as Leah could see in the distance. Only specks of scorched fur and blue blood on the snow nearby gave any sign that the monster had ever been there.

The path was bare soil, totally clear of snow, and it led straight to her father.

Well, King Zakareth had been considerate enough to make her a trail. She might as well make use of it.
Stop! Angeline yelled, so urgently that Simon nearly tripped over himself drawing to a halt.

Something fell from the sky so fast that it looked like a bolt of lightning itself, a gold-and-crimson blur that crashed into the earth like a falling star.

Specifically, it crashed on top of Grandmaster Endross.

The Grandmaster had enough time to raise his arms before the whatever-it-was crashed into him, slamming him into the ground and sending a ring of dust blasting out in all directions.

The wind from the impact tore at Simon’s cloak, and he raised a hand to shield his eyes from the dust.

What was that? he asked his doll.

I’m not sure, she responded. It was too fast before, but now…maybe…a spear?

The dust cleared, and Simon saw that it was indeed a spear. A dark wood shaft stuck up from a gold-and-steel head, with an enormous ruby set where wood and metal met. The spear had driven into the cracked ground where it had landed, and now it stuck there, quivering.

Grandmaster Endross lay, dirty and bleeding, a pace or two behind the spear. He had managed to knock the weapon offcourse as it fell, though Simon couldn’t imagine what kind of protection would have allowed him to do that. Endross tried to struggle to his feet, but slipped and fell back. He looked dazed as well as dirty.

[...]

Zakareth took two steps forward and, with a strength Simon wouldn’t have believed he possessed, hurled the spear.

The weapon left his hand with a thunderclap even louder than the lightning bolt Endross had tossed earlier. Such was the spear’s speed that the air seemed to explode around it as it blasted forward, catching Valin at the level of his chest.

Simon focused his Nye essence, slowing the world enough so that he could barely see what happened. He couldn’t believe that even an Incarnation could move so fast. As the spearhead streaked toward Valin’s chest, the Wanderer brought his sword down in both hands, meeting Zakareth’s spear with the edge of his Dragon’s Fang.
Simon shut up before he said something he would really regret. Or something that would draw the attention of Leah’s red-eyed father and his fast-as-lightning spear.
The Lightning Wastes short story has cloud-to-ground lightning dodging, and we have Yerin dodging cloud-to-ground lightning in the Uncrowned tournament.

For Elder Empire there are a few good supporting AP feats:

• The Emperor recieved minor injuries fighting the continent-shattering Dead Mother, including a cracked rib and a broken foot.
  • Alagaeus' irritation being amplified is enough to create earthquakes.
  • Ester Six defeated a Kameira that can summon blizzards with enough force to overturn mountain peaks, and then defeated a more powerful version of the Kameira.
  • The battle between Estyr Six and Kthanikahr cratered an entire mountain range into a basin.
  • A weakened Emperor crushed a town into a crater in an instant, creating an earthquake.
  • The Regents were confirmed to be holding back until the Great Elders showed up.
  • The battle with Kelarac previously destroyed a chain of islands.

He hovered in the thin air above the clouds, clutching a still-beating heart in his right hand. He took a moment to survey his injuries: he was surprisingly unscathed. Only a rib that might be cracked, a few minor cuts and bruises, and a broken foot. Most humans who opposed a Great Elder left insane or in pieces.
Thoughts of the Guilds always angered him. How had the Emperor allowed them such authority? He could have steered the Empire himself! Whoever heard of a ship with ten captains? Everyone in the modern world was complicit in madness, steering the planet toward sheer destruction!

Alagaeus calmed himself only when he realized the floor was shaking. His Vessel took his anger, magnifying it from the pathetic spark of mortal irritation into the wrath of the earth. The entire castle, and possibly the whole town, trembled with his rage.

He settled down, somewhat satisfied by the stark terror on the simple woman’s face. She recognized true power when she saw it. The thought did much to quiet his just passions.

“The fury of a king is more frightening than a sea in storm,” he intoned, over the sound of grinding stone. “You would do well to remember that.”

She tried to disguise her shaking as a bow, and he sent out a rush of Intent through his staff.

The castle stopped instantly, the air inflating with silence.
It was Kthanikahr, the Worm Lord, who descended upon the Dylian Mountains. Before she could begin to grasp reality, before she understood her enemy, all her people were dead. And she would be Estyr Six forever.

She had battled the Great Elder himself on the slopes of the mountain where she’d been born. There were no mountains there anymore.

Today, people called it the Dylian Basin.

[...]

A myth flew into the room. The greatest Soulbound in Imperial history, the warrior who had fought Kthanikahr headon, whose mighty power had created the Dylian Basin. The woman who could have been Empress, had she accepted a crown.
Then Silverreach exploded.

The town was covered by a transparent bubble of forceful Intent, as the Emperor had used before. This time, instead of hauling a shark out of the water, it pounded five hundred homes to dust in a single instant. Each tile shattered, every beam in every house torn to splinters, every rock smashed. The town burst, and the sound drowned out the world.

And every pound of it, every ounce of the massive avalanche of debris, collapsed into the ground and flooded the library below.

It was like watching an impossibly huge hourglass drain into the bottom. Fractured houses slammed into bookcases, knocking six-story bookshelves into one another, even breaking them in half.

The Emperor relaxed his Intent, to the great relief of Shera’s head, and simply watched the aftermath.

GOOD-BYE, Ach’magut said.

[...]

GOOD-BYE, Ach’magut said, and it was with chilling finality.
The Emperor flexed his Intent once more, and a thousand sources of flame—falling matches, fractured quicklamps, banked coals—all flared to life.

There was a giant hole where the town of Silverreach had once stood, and now it was on fire.

For twenty or thirty seconds the Emperor kept his vision where it was, basking in satisfaction. The whirlpool of rubble slowed to a trickle, carrying hellish flames down into the library below. Nothing moved except flickering flames and rising smoke.

[...]

With the closest thing to fear that Calder had ever sensed from the creature, the Lyathatan hauled The Testament out to sea. The acceleration made him clutch the wheel and sent Petal tumbling shoes-over-shoulders across the deck until Urzaia caught her. The Champion stood with his feet planted on the deck as though a hurricane couldn’t budge him.

In minutes, they left Silverreach behind. The town and its unlit lighthouse were swallowed up by the night, until the whole world was nothing more than the starlit waves, The Testament, and the submerged shadow pulling them forward.

That was when the ocean trembled.

A ripple shot across the surface of the water, like someone had dropped a pebble into a bathtub. Seconds after that, Calder heard a great roar, and sudden waves blasted them from behind. The aft half of the ship lifted up and slammed down, sending a creak of pain through Calder’s Vessel.

Petal started to tumble the other way, but Urzaia grabbed her out of the air and tossed her onto his shoulder.

The ocean shook with the wrath of a storm, but the Lyathatan neither faltered nor fumbled, dragging them forth as a team of dogs drags a sled. Calder mustered enough focus to wrap ropes around the entire crew, steadying them and ensuring he wouldn’t lose them overboard.

While he did, he considered the explosion behind them. At first, he wished he could extend his senses far enough to pick up some Intent, but he had to admit the truth to himself. He knew what had happened. Silverreach had been destroyed.

Whether Ach’magut had blown the town to pieces for secret reasons known only to the Elders, or whether something they’d done had led to the town’s collapse, Calder had no idea. But the Overseer had sent them away with an urge to flee only minutes before an explosion came from the direction of Silverreach. Either the town was gone, or they’d been deceived by the most coincidental earthquake of all time.
Shera glanced back as Jorin swept his sword upward.

At that moment, Shera realized just how much the Regents had been holding back.

She’d always known, on some level, that they must have restrained themselves when fighting humans. Estyr probably could have collapsed the foundations of the Capital instead of engaging the Imperialists in combat, but she had controlled her power to avoid hurting allies or bystanders. Jorin had chosen not to blight the entire Gray Island, constraining himself to only a corner.

But it was one thing to assume as much and another thing entirely to see a single sword-slash unleash a river of putrid darkness up into an entirely black sky.
As though responding to Shera’s thoughts, Estyr spoke. “We’ll fight him on the sea. Our battle with Kelarac last time destroyed a chain of islands. If we fight him in the Capital, there won’t be a city left afterwards. Fortunately, he should be weaker this time. We face him with our combined might, get rid of him quickly, and then regroup in case we have to face another fight.”

There is something that can be useful for calculating the length of the Aion Sea. It is stated that nothing short of a Great Elder can catch up with the Testament (even though there are flying creatures). It is also stated that in unrealistic ideal conditions it is impossible to get to sail to the other continent in less than two weeks.

If Calder were a less generous man, that might have offended him. “Thank you, Cheska. If you wouldn’t mind explaining something else to me, though, they claim that this was happening yesterday. Even the fastest Navigator couldn’t travel here from Izyria in less than two weeks.” Calder ought to know, as his ship was the fastest.

Cheska snorted. “Two weeks? With fantastic weather, clear sailing, an empty hold, and the Emperor’s own luck. Maybe.”
Calder had crossed the vast expanse of empty cobbles leading to the harbor, with only the dock in front of him. His ship was a black silhouette against an orange sky, and he was close enough that he could sense the perpetual fury of the Lyathatan beneath the waves. Even as he ran, he started to relax. Once they were onboard, nothing short of a Great Elder could catch them.

It is of note that without their third books upgrades, Champion tier characters are FTE for the protaganists.

Last edited:
Back