• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Mmz3-zero4
Darth vader wip by lochapowa-d4mh3u8
Join the dark side

Stats equalized, though any physical traits unique to them (such as Zero having Regenerationn and being fully inorganic, or Vader having a respirator and armor) may still come into play during the fight.
They both get 1 day to study eachother's fighting style.

Sabers only for both (Meaning no force-powers for vader, such as pre-cog, telekinesis, or energy manipulation, and no weapons for Zero besides the Z Saber),

They are both allowed to use hand-to-hand combat in conjunction with their swordsmanship if they so choose and it is in character.

This should be an interesting match.

Darth Vader and Zero. 2 of the most powerful characters of their respective franchises, and 2 of the greatest swordsmen within those franchises. If these two ever got into a joust with all stats equal, who wins and why?

Round 1: Canon Vader vs Zero

Round 2: EU Vader vs Zero

Once again, stats equalized, no hax, sabers/melee only.

I'm gonna vote for Zero here.

My reasoning is because of Vader's fighting style. Vader uses Djem So, which is a strength-oriented fighting style. It has been shown to be weak against agility based combat to an extent, which Zero has been shown to use. Also, Vader has been shown to be ineffective against hand-to-hand strikes from opponents. The reason this was never an issue for Vader was because so few characters could match him physically, and it was only an issue in ROTJ when Luke kicked him down the stairs. Zero has be a capable hand-to hand combatant even against characters armed with sabers, so that should help shift the fight in his favor given that he normally outclasses Vader physically, and would be able to damage him physically in this scenario. Plus he has many decades of experience more than Vader does. That said tho, Vader gives him hell.

I vote Zero with high difficulty.

So pure melee/swordsmanship basically? I can see Sirius being right that Zero most likely has a hand-to-hand advantage. However, Vader has done rather well against more agile lightsaber duelists on quite a few occasions too

Overall, I give the edge to Vader just because the mechanics of dueling seem to be much more pronounced and touched upon in the Star Wars universe. It's a verse where lightsaber masters with full knowledge of multiple dueling forms are a dime a dozen, and Vader is one of the best duelists ever

I'm not going to say I'm a Mega Man expert, but what experience does Zero have against other swordsmen, and how skilled were they?

Metabro said:
So pure melee/swordsmanship basically? I can see Sirius being right that Zero most likely has a hand-to-hand advantage. However, Vader has done rather well against more agile lightsaber duelists on quite a few occasions too
Overall, I give the edge to Vader just because the mechanics of dueling seem to be much more pronounced and touched upon in the Star Wars universe. It's a verse where lightsaber masters with full knowledge of multiple dueling forms are a dime a dozen, and Vader is one of the best duelists ever

I'm not going to say I'm a Mega Man expert, but what experience does Zero have against other swordsmen, and how skilled were they?
He has centuries of experience, and has faced X, who has used the "lightsaber" of Mega Man several times, albeit maybe a step down from Vader. Sigma, who was a renowned warrior and leader IICR. He has fought and defeated Sage Harpuia, a very capable dual-bladed fencer (kind of like Jar' Kai, I guess). Fairy Leviathan, who was a staff-wielder and comparable to Sage. He has fought and defeated a LOT more guys than that, but those are ones of the top of my head.

And lastly Omega, who was superior to any of those guys by a significant margin, as well as being the original Zero.

So Vader may have a bit more experience in pure dueling, but Zero has more overall experience.

I can see overall experience playing a factor too, along with Vader's ventilator. With no Force abilities, Vader has no way to sustain himself if it were to get damaged

However, I don't think experience alone would make Zero a better duelist if Vader keeps it to a pure swordfight. From what you're telling me, the swordsmen who Zero fought are good because the story says they're good. With Star Wars we can get a more tangible grasp of HOW the lightsaber duelists are based on their strategies, techniques, experience, mastered forms, etc.

For lack of a better comparison, it's like comparing Goku to Karate Kid. Goku might have decades of training under his belt, but in no way does he know the pure number of styles and techniques Karate Kid does

Full disclosure, I'm split as to who would win overall. Just debating the dueling part of the fight

Well, here are the feats of each character that I can remember

X: Has fought armies of adversaries and came out ahead nearly every time.

Sigma: Capable leader and fighter, has lead armies of Reploids before becoming a maverick.

Fairy Leviathan and Sage Harpuia: Presumably has at least a few decades of combat experience against Rebels Of Neo Arcadia

Omega: Is the old Zero.

He's shown good swordsmanship in the Canon books, comics and movies, so that's a toss up. EU is just the better version of Canon by a ton.

I would still side with Zero overall. While Darth Vader has more experience fighting sword-wielding opponents, Zero has the edge in terms of overall combat experience period (being active for over a hundred years and cutting down countless foes).. Not to mention the fact that he regularly comes out on top against the Guardians, two of whom use swords while another uses a double bladed spear (which is similar in function to a double-bladed beamstaff), and Omega, whose Ranbu is one of the strongest attacks in the game.

In addition, Zero still has the edge in close combat due to not tiring as quickly, not having to rely on a respirator, having some Regenerationn abilities e.t.c.

In addition, with all powers being removed and such, I don't really see the difference between Canon Vader and EU Vader. His combat style doesn't really change much from what I can remember.

That sort of eschews the whole point of stats being equalized then.

In addition, Zero has far more variety to his sword attacks. Vader primarily focuses on the more aggressive aspects of Lightsaber combat, slamming into his foes with his superior physical strength and rarely deviating from standard swings since he doesn't need to and because he can't as a result of his cybernetics.

Zero does not have this issue. He has the freedom to be acrobatic, use thrusts, side attacks, swing at creative angles, cause the ground to rupture into plasma by stabbing it into the ground, release energy waves with a swing e.t.c.

Vader might have power and precision, but Zero is just so much more versatile I can't see him losing in a sword fight like this.

Sirius The EM Troll said:
I know that he mixes forms, but Form V is still his preference by a long shot.
Was talking to the other guy. But I know it's his BACK UP but he has his own style. A mixture of Form III and Form V and tads of others.

Well, yeah, but his EU opponents were lethal no doubt, but I still think Zero has fought more difficult and lethal adversaries than the Dark Woman or Roan Shryne

I'm not that well versed in the megaman verse so I'm not sure about him. I'm merely going off of Vaders style and how devastating it is.

Yeah. I'm going to pull my vote. I know a lot about Vader and virtually nothing about Zero. And I don't want to look biased.

As a fan of both series, I personally could totally see this going either way, but I'm giving Zero a very minimal edge due to the fact that Vader is still somewhat weak to acrobatic attacks due to his prefered form still being Djem So, and his greater overall experience.

Zero 6/10 High Diff for me.

Vader is certainly an extremely skilled lightsaber duelist. However, while he ca pull off more acrobatic maneuvers, it is significantly more taxing for him and leaves his valuable control panel wide open.

Zero is the best swordsman of his timeline, besting countless foes in combat with his Z-Saber alone and outmatching the likes of Harpuia, Leviathan, and Phantom (X's kids who specialize in taking on their foes at that range) in close combat. He's trained in both Eastern and Western sword-fighting styles of all kinds, not lacking in speed, defense, or power. He uses practically every sword technique imaginable, jumping slices, spinning attacks, fencing style parrying, thrusts, Japanese-style diagonal slices e.t.c. Really, it's impossible to take him by surprise with any technique because he's seen it all.

I would also like to point out that the Z-Saber is a hell of a lot more verstaile than you might think. It can convert itself into a spear, a chain whip, and tonfas and can be used as both a shield and a boomerang. In addition, he can also charge his saber attacks for even more power, catching Vader by surprise with sudden increase in force behind Zero's blows.

Back