• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Would this grant resistance to Madness Manipulation?

Rikimarox2

He/Him
Basically, there's this thing in a game I used to play, and it's called "Sen". As I'm too tired to explain it all, here's what the wiki says about it:

"Sen lowers when you kill innocent characters or when you use Black Souls. Sen increases when you interact with the game's characters or when you inspect corpses.

Keeping your Sen at 100 or above allows you to experience the game normally, being able to listen to the game's soundtrack.

Keeping your Sen above 30 but lower than 100 will still allow you to speak freely to all the characters, but also mutes most of the areas' background music.

Sen from 1 to 30 will allow you to see the characters normally, however you are too insane to understand or speak to any of them.

Sen at 0 or lower causes you to view many of the characters as demonic beasts."

Would this, by any chance, grant resistance to Madness manip, since you are still able to control the character even when you are insane?

Also, I believe I have to say this now, but no, this isn't game mechanic. This mechanic very well exists in the lore, and is really important if you want to get certain endings.

I mean, being insane does not prevent the character from moving or perform certain actions, so I do not see why would it grant resistance.

Would it really not grant anything? The character is still able to fight, and pretty much do everything normally, except for seeing the world in a different view, among other things listed in the OP.

The insanity simply isn't enough strong to prevent the character from doing stuff, it just alters its perception oof the world.
Another question that is not that related to this thread, but related to the character in question, how do we treat RPG stats? Do we just treat them as a game mechanic, even if the verse in question acknowledges it. Think of something like dark souls, where you can increase your stats with souls. Do we treat those as game mechanic?

Stats are an abstraction, they few characteristics of the character but in a non particular way. It vary from verse to verse, but stuff like HP represent a combination of stamina and nimbleness, Attack a combination of damage and speed, Defense a mix of durability, speed and protection, etc.

Ah okay. Still, if there is no cap to it, surely we'll just shrug it off as a game mechanic, right?

If the stat themselves are vague, form of scaling are unreliable I believe, but I guess one can scale if they have a point of reference (such a bear has STR 4, so if someone has STR 5 then one can say it has greater lifting strength than a bear).

If the stat themselves are vague, form of scaling are unreliable I believe, but I guess one can scale if they have a point of reference (such a bear has STR 4, so if someone has STR 5 then one can say it has greater lifting strength than a bear).
Ah okay, then how would we define the speed part?

This game is turn based, but instead, it has a bar next to each character. Whichever bar gets filled first start their turn.

But, for example, the main character with a speed of 10 would be able to get multiple turns before a character with a speed of 1 be able to get even one turn. How would we scale this? Do we just scale it with how many turns they get, or do we just shrug it off as unreliable scaling?

I don't think you can't say something aside of the characte rthat can play more turns to be faster, as there's no point of reference.

I don't think you can't say something aside of the characte rthat can play more turns to be faster, as there's no point of reference.
Ah, well, I'm not really sure what to use as a point of reference.

There are corpse-eating undead crows with 70 speed, and the character with 140 speed can have two turns before the crow can get its turn.

There are rabbits that could kill and decapitate athletic, armored humans, and they have 20 speed. The main character with 40 speed would be able to have 2 turns before the rabbit does. Can we get anything out of this?

Ah, well, I'm not really sure what to use as a point of reference.

There are corpse-eating undead crows with 70 speed, and the character with 140 speed can have two turns before the crow can get its turn.

There are rabbits that could kill and decapitate athletic, armored humans, and they have 20 speed. The main character with 40 speed would be able to have 2 turns before the rabbit does. Can we get anything out of this?
I'd imagine that it just means the that the player scales to 2x faster than the rabbits or crows

Back