• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Worm Speed Downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently several Worm characters speed was upgraded from Subsonic to Hypersonic based off this one calc: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/U..._gives_the_verse_a_semblance_of_speed_featery

I already pointed out how the timeframe for the feat is ambiguous and other issues with the calc, but even if we were to ignore that, it would be an outlier for these characters.

Alexandria for example, is explicitly only 10 times faster than a normal human in combat speed:

"Eidolon was making his move before Alexandria was even free. He cast out a bubble that swelled as it moved through the air. By the time it reached Echidna, it was twice as big around as she was, enough to reach from one sidewalk to the other. The colors around her became muted, and her movements slowed to a tenth of the speed. It was a time-distortion effect.

Alexandria flew low to the ground, striking and catching hold of a traffic light. In one second she was a blur, the next she appeared to be moving as fast as a person did when they ran." - Scourge 19.5

Lung, who is also only Subsonic at best, manages to attack Alexandria's regular human boss for half a second while grappling with her:

"Lung was still growing, still changing, and his throat was broad enough now that she couldn't do more than dig her fingertips into the front of it, but he still couldn't break free of her grasp. He opted for a second option, leveling a hand at the Doctor, Manton, the Number Man and the crowd of boys. Fire erupted forth. A half-second's worth, before Alexandria threw him down and kicked him full-force into the wall beside us." - Venom 29.7

Finally in Cell 22.4, Alexandria was killed by thousands of insects, which would not be an outlier as insects reactions can be around 10 times ours: https://medium.com/the-physics-arxi...ckest-reactions-might-surprise-you-da3752e279

I could find plenty of more examples, but this collection should have plenty: https://forums.spacebattles.com/thr...nd-source-thread.335340/page-31#post-27299273

Scion himself also shows a lack of Hypersonic reactions:

"A trio of objects moved towards the alien from the fallen rig. Spheres.

They detonated, each one exploding a fraction of a second after the one before.

Glaistig Uaine. She had four spirits with her, and three were working in concert. One to form raw materials, two to fashion them into objects, a telekinetic to manage it all by holding Eidolon immobile in the sky while launching the bombs in Scion's direction." - Interlude 27

Gets hit by bombs that explode in a fraction of a second while fighting Eidolon and Glaistig Uaine, two of the strongest characters in the verse.

Only moves about as fast as an arrow at short distances:

"I watched the scene. Scion flying with a speed like an arrow shot from a bow" - Speck 30.5

Takes 2-3 seconds to kill some people in H2H:

"And then he was in their midst, hitting them with physical blows, tearing them to pieces, each hit harder, faster and more gruesome than the last. A sweep of his arm and a cape with stone armor was torn in two.

Two or three seconds and he'd taken nineteen capes out of action, wounding several more." - Speck 30.2

Needed to use very powerful but lifespan draining preog to dodge an explicitly only supersonic attack:

"I looked at Foil.

I took control of her, had her bend down to grip a rock. I channeled it with her power.

A moment later, I brought Ballistic through.

He used his power on the rock. I was already moving the group to safety when Scion evaded the incoming projectile.

His future sight power wasn't like Contessa's. Narrower, lacking imagination, but he'd set up contingencies. If X happened, then the power would automatically kick in." - Speck 30.5

Was unable to kill Foil, the only character who could harm his true body, in the time it took for someone to throw her out of the battlefield:

"His eyes were on Foil. A golden light swelled in his hand.

We spread out, but Foil didn't even flinch. Even as Cuff backed away, Foil reached out to touch the sawblade, imbuing it with power.

Scion reached out, and Parian used her power, encircling Foil with the end of a length of cloth. Not an animal, only an arm.

In the instant Scion loosed the bolt of light, Parian flung Foil away. Not a simple throw, but a reckless, inhumanly strong one." - Venom 29.1

Gets shot:

"Queen of Swords touched the tip of her sword to one of the main lines of the diagram she'd created. A circular blob expanded from the point like blood welling from a prick from the blade, two-dimensional, dark blue and translucent.

She drew a gun from her hip with her free hand, aimed it at the blob and fired. The bullet hit the blob and pushed against it, SLOWING down with every fraction of an inch it traveled. It came to a complete stop, the previously flat surface of the blob-portal-thing now more of a cone, poked out of shape by the bullet's movement. For a half-second, I thought it would be like a trampoline, sending the bullet back to sender.

Then it punched through, and I could see ribbons, fire, darkness and innumerable other effects trailing behind it as it resumed normal speed.It struck Scion as he started to fire another beam of light at the crowd opposite me and the Undersiders. Scion stumbled, the aftermath of a dozen different powers rippling over, around and through him, and the beam was cut off by one of the powers." - Venom 29.2

Alexandria managed to fight Scion for minutes despite his attacks negating durability:

"It took excruciating minutes to get my head out of that sludge, and to make sense of what I was looking at. Minutes, as Scion tore into Alexandria" - Speck 30.4

Khepri, who defeated Scion said she could only think in 1/30th of a second at most, even with her shard helping her:

"Doormaker was capable of opening the doorways at the speed of thought. I had multitasking abilities. I could open them faster. Not one after the other, a thirtieth of a second passing between each, but simultaneous." - Speck 30.5

In conclusion, I would say that downgrading all the upgraded characters back to Subsonic would work fine.

Alright, fine, I'll enter this dance of ad nauseum once again.

It is slightly ambiguous, but it doesn't take much to figure out the scene is set up with Scion being at one location then, suddenly, bam, he's not there. If they didn't want to portray Scion as travelling fast, they wouldn't frame it in such a sudden way as "But Scion was gone" and following it up with people cheering in triumph and shock at what unfolded while Chevalier wasn't paying attention, but I guess we want to turn a blind eye to that for more important things, so I'll move on.

So you want to tell me that Alexandria is both ten times faster than a normal human, and that she takes an entire half second to react to something Lung is doing, which is below that of said normal human. Your supposed anti feats contradict themselves, and, might I suggest a crazy theory as to why that could be?

Wildbow isn't a mad genius who calculates every single motion in his story so he can tell a bunch of nerds how many machs his characters are capable of going

Due to this, not everything is going to fit perfectly into an ultra consistent package, and trying to fit everything into that via using reaction time as if that defines the flight speed of a fly and the many, many other bugs Taylor used on Alexandria is, well, I don't have a kinder word than foolishness, so I'll call it as is. Alexandria dying to bugs is simple PIS, a powerful type induced by an arrogant character not expecting to be attacked. It's just Goku being shot by a bullet all over again.

Scion actually does show Hypersonic reactions directly in the form of fighting off Leviathan while over water, with Leviathan being able to blitz several lower class heroes while in such territory:

Scion tried to float down to it, fighting almost tooth and nail with the Endbringers to get to his new companion.
A tough feat to achieve if you take over a fraction of a second to react to stuff. Not that I really see how something exploding in a pattern is an anti feat to reactions, either way.

I remember Wok saying that Scion was very likely to program a prerequisite, if Sting, the thing that might kill him, is used, activate precog to make sure it doesn't hit, and I think I'm down for that. Even then, "Supersonic" is pretty vague when you're talking outside of VSBW. All it means is faster than sound up to Mach 5. It could still get dangerously close to hitting Scion like that (and even then, I don't know if it's specifically Supersonic or just creates Sonic booms)

He was still ultra casual when he dismantled those people hand to hand, to the point the heroes were just ants under a kid's magnifying glass. Same with being hit by a gun (mind you, another potent source of PIS, that one)

The rest kinda just falls under the math point.

DMUA said:
Wildbow isn't a mad genius who calculates every single motion in his story so he can tell a bunch of nerds how many machs his characters are capable of going
This.

It's like how people try to say JoJo is only subsonic because Jotaro states Crazy Diamond can only punch at 300 kilometers per hour. Authors being bad at math is a meme for a reason.

DMUA also makes sense with his points otherwise.

DMUA said:
Alright, fine, I'll enter this dance of ad nauseum once again.
It is slightly ambiguous, but it doesn't take much to figure out the scene is set up with Scion being at one location then, suddenly, bam, he's not there. If they didn't want to portray Scion as travelling fast, they wouldn't frame it in such a sudden way as "But Scion was gone" and following it up with people cheering in triumph and shock at what unfolded while Chevalier wasn't paying attention, but I guess we want to turn a blind eye to that for more important things, so I'll move on.

So you want to tell me that Alexandria is both ten times faster than a normal human, and that she takes an entire half second to react to something Lung is doing, which is below that of said normal human. Your supposed anti feats contradict themselves, and, might I suggest a crazy theory as to why that could be?

Due to this, not everything is going to fit perfectly into an ultra consistent package, and trying to fit everything into that via using reaction time as if that defines the flight speed of a fly and the many, many other bugs Taylor used on Alexandria is, well, I don't have a kinder word than foolishness, so I'll call it as is. Alexandria dying to bugs is simple PIS, a powerful type induced by an arrogant character not expecting to be attacked. It's just Goku being shot by a bullet all over again.

Scion actually does show Hypersonic reactions directly in the form of fighting off Leviathan while over water, with Leviathan being able to blitz several lower class heroes while in such territory:

Scion tried to float down to it, fighting almost tooth and nail with the Endbringers to get to his new companion.
A tough feat to achieve if you take over a fraction of a second to react to stuff. Not that I really see how something exploding in a pattern is an anti feat to reactions, either way.

I remember Wok saying that Scion was very likely to program a prerequisite, if Sting, the thing that might kill him, is used, activate precog to make sure it doesn't hit, and I think I'm down for that. Even then, "Supersonic" is pretty vague when you're talking outside of VSBW. All it means is faster than sound up to Mach 5. It could still get dangerously close to hitting Scion like that (and even then, I don't know if it's specifically Supersonic or just creates Sonic booms)

He was still ultra casual when he dismantled those people hand to hand, to the point the heroes were just ants under a kid's magnifying glass. Same with being hit by a gun (mind you, another potent source of PIS, that one)

The rest kinda just falls under the math point.
Alright let's address this point by point.

I never denied that Scion traveled fast. The main problem with the calc is that Scion wouldn't have to reach the horizon in literally in one second for the people near Chevalier to be surprised. Even if it took him 20 seconds to reach the horizon, Scion would still effectively disappear to those watching him. Not to mention there's no indication Scion kept up his speed upon going into the hole Behemoth was in, since that part isn't described at all. Considering the many the anti-feats I listed, is it really that farfetched that Scion stopped when he reached the hole Behemoth was in and moved a little slower until he grabbed him?

Taking .5 seconds to throw a giant dragon man to the ground is superhuman DMUA. According to this site, the average human reaction time is about .25 seconds, give or take, and that's with people in a controlled environment clicking a button only a centimeter from them.

As far as I'm concerned, PIS is just a way for people to dismiss feats and anti-feats they don't like. In any case, it makes far more sense for Alexandria to be killed by bugs if she was only 10 times faster as opposed to Hypersonic. If her reactions were Hypersonic, she would literally have the equivalent of at least half a minute if not more to react to bugs entering her mouth, as opposed to 10 seconds, proportonally speaking.

If you're going to dismiss low end stuff as Wildbow not being consistent, it's a bit ridiculous to accept high end stuff without being equally as critical.

DMUA, in the chapter you posted an excerpt for, Neither Scion or Leviathan are said to be in the water:

"Leviathan, healed a touch, emerged from the water."

Literally six lines before the part where Scion floated down, the thing he was trying to get to does this:

"Hands turned to gesture, and flames rose from fingertips."

Kind of hard to do that underwater.

Your calc gives Scion Mach 13 reactions, him getting hit by something moving at Mach 5 at most is an anti-feat, imagine if you had trouble dodging a projectile moving at 5 miles per hour.

The rest of this falls under my views regarding PIS.

It would be immensely difficult to make a giant shining light completely disappear like that when they're not even surpassing sound. Disappearing from human vision is generally pretty complex. But it's still framed as extremely sudden. Unless you wanna like, say Chevalier took an entire 20 seconds to turn his head, which doesn't fit the flow of the scene whatsoever.

Maybe that's superhuman, but nowhere near your supposed 10x multiplier which is in no way consistent

PIS is to say that the plot can sometimes step in and contradict feats and things that happen, most prevelant in comic books where just about anyone squares off with anyone because yeah comics.

An entirely normal person could probably react to and flee from a scene of bugs like that, someone Superhuman like Alexandria would basically have all day no matter how you slice it. It's simple PIS.

They'd still have to swim when over water where Leviathan would be in his element and thereby much faster than at land.

It's still a big risk there's no point in Scion taking. And, if he was going to be hit by ballistic without it like you seem to suggest, then forking Crawler, who doesn't even have a mover classification, would be faster than the world's most powerful superhero who soloed the entire verse casually and basically only lost because he was forced into submission due to sheer psychological pressure.

This time, at least, Weld took on the heavy hitter. He leaped at Crawler from the side, his hand becoming needle-fine as he plunged it into one of Crawler's largest eye sockets. I knew that Crawler could dodge Ballistic's hits. He must have seen Weld coming and simply not cared. The needle barely penetrated Crawler's eye, but Weld used the leverage to wrap himself around Crawler's face.

DMUA said:
It would be immensely difficult to make a giant shining light completely disappear like that when they're not even surpassing sound. Disappearing from human vision is generally pretty complex. But it's still framed as extremely sudden. Unless you wanna like, say Chevalier took an entire 20 seconds to turn his head, which doesn't fit the flow of the scene whatsoever.

Maybe that's superhuman, but nowhere near your supposed 10x multiplier which is in no way consistent

PIS is to say that the plot can sometimes step in and contradict feats and things that happen, most prevelant in comic books where just about anyone squares off with anyone because yeah comics.

An entirely normal person could probably react to and flee from a scene of bugs like that, someone Superhuman like Alexandria would basically have all day no matter how you slice it. It's simple PIS.

They'd still have to swim when over water where Leviathan would be in his element and thereby much faster than at land.

It's still a big risk there's no point in Scion taking. And, if he was going to be hit by ballistic without it like you seem to suggest, then forking Crawler, who doesn't even have a mover classification, would be faster than the world's most powerful superhero who soloed the entire verse casually and basically only lost because he was forced into submission due to sheer psychological pressure.
I'm not saying he took 20 seconds to turn his head, the passage you used for the calc literally describes him crying and having broken bones and organ damage. It also says he had to force himself to move to get a better look at Scion. This fits the scene better than him doing all that in 1 second.

My point with the Lung and bug thing is that the scenes make far more sense with the 10x multiplier than Alexandria actually having Mach 10 reactions. She literally gets hit by the Siberian while trying to dodge her:

"Alexandria moved in close, hoping to stop Siberian, to catch her and slow her down, saw Siberian swing, pulled back out of the way.

Her visor fell free, clattering to the ground. Then she felt the blood.

Saw, in her one remaining good eye, the chunks of her own face that were falling to the ground around her, bouncing off her right breast, the spray of blood." - Interlude 15

Who's slower than Velocity:

"He was too distracted by Siberian to see it. She wasn't as fast as Battery or Velocity" - Prey 14.7

Who is also only about 10 times faster than a normal human:

"The drawback, though, was that while he was moving like that, he wasn't hitting as hard, probably for the same reasons he wasn't shattering his bones by hammering his feet against the ground ten times a second" - Tangle 6.6

So actually I would call it pretty consistent all things considered.

As for PIS, I would say the feats place every character as Subsonic at best, considering all the times the characters operate at those speeds and with the only feat suggesting otherwise being a calc of a scene with a vague timeframe.

I read and reread the scene several times, it's never said that Scion was fighting on the water. The whole thing gives very little reference for where anybody is besides them being on a beach. Also Scion could just fire a bunch of blasts in every direction, even if Leviathan is supersonic, there's no way for him to dodge lightspeed blasts when he has no idea which way they're coming from.

Crawler also gets hit by Ballistic several times, implying that he's actually aim dodging rather than moving faster than Ballistic's projectiles, especially since the otherwise normal human Ballistic doesn't just get blitzed by him. Not to mention PRT ratings are fairly arbitrary anyway.

That doesn't really align with it saying "but scion was gone" in one sudden statement. Or how people are suddenly cheering to what you suppose could just as easily be 20 seconds after Scion showed up and moved to kill Behemoth.

It making more sense is like saying molten metal is cooler than the sun. It's still hot, or in our case, stupid.

Siberian being as fast as some of the strongest heroes on the planet is an outlier for her when they don't even really manage to catch normal people or more low tier capes. Something I wanted to make a CRT about since you were the one to bring it up but I just kinda never did because I was reading Ward

He was over the water and fighting off every single endbringer to get to what he thought was Eden. Not just spinning around yeeting lasers at people, otherwise the text would have said something to those lines. It's never stated or implied that Scion is dramatically slower than a swimming Leviathan.

Yeah, they are arbitrary and not grounds for scaling whatsoever, made evident by someone entirely devoid of a mover rating being obviously superhuman in speed, but it still goes to show that someone who's not supposed to be super fast is apparently more capable of dodging a projectile than the strongest person in the world

Which makes no sense when more than two seconds of thought are put into it

DMUA said:
That doesn't really align with it saying "but scion was gone" in one sudden statement. Or how people are suddenly cheering to what you suppose could just as easily be 20 seconds after Scion showed up and moved to kill Behemoth.

It making more sense is like saying molten metal is cooler than the sun. It's still hot, or in our case, stupid.

Siberian being as fast as some of the strongest heroes on the planet is an outlier for her when they don't even really manage to catch normal people or more low tier capes. Something I wanted to make a CRT about since you were the one to bring it up but I just kinda never did because I was reading Ward

He was over the water and fighting off every single endbringer to get to what he thought was Eden. Not just spinning around yeeting lasers at people, otherwise the text would have said something to those lines. It's never stated or implied that Scion is dramatically slower than a swimming Leviathan.

Yeah, they are arbitrary and not grounds for scaling whatsoever, made evident by someone entirely devoid of a mover rating being obviously superhuman in speed, but it still goes to show that someone who's not supposed to be super fast is apparently more capable of dodging a projectile than the strongest person in the world

Which makes no sense when more than two seconds of thought are put into it
I mean if someone near you started moving so fast they could get to the horizon in 20 seconds, they would disappear from your point of view.

This same logic could be applied to your Hypersonic scaling.

Reading Worm, Alexandria mostly scales to characters lower on the totem pole in speed. Worm is so relatively weak as a verse that being invulnerable and having flight would make you a high tier cape, it doesnt say anything about her speed.

To get to her, he would have to be firing lasers of some kind, the fight literally isn't described, there's no way to say what Scion did or didn't do.

Scion can casually destroy continents, him being the strongest being on Earth has little to do with his speed.

Here we have something that isn't constantly glowing still visible as it flies fast enough to create a sonic boom, so.

PIS is still PIS no matter what you do, higher feats don't just get thrown out because something they clearly shouldn't have been killed by killed them.

Not really, like, at all. They're one of the few people who just has a straight up match hand to hand with Scion, meanwhile every else who tried just got slapped aside. A big factor was definitely her invulnerability, but that wouldn't have helped her actually hit them and do damage whatsoever. Outside of a few instances like Siberian, Alexandria isn't really treated on the same level as everyone else, in fact, Doctor Mother goes as far as to compare her speed to being nearly as fast as Legend, someone capable of perpetually accelerating and generally being a speedster a cut above the rest.

Scion just firing lasers in every direction isn't much of a "tooth and nail fight". You can't exactly say what happens, but it obviously isn't so one sided and it isn't implied that Leviathan could just use his aquatic speed to blitz Scion to oblivion.

It very much so does when Super speed is apart of the catalog.

DMUA said:
Here we have something that isn't constantly glowing still visible as it flies fast enough to create a sonic boom, so.

PIS is still PIS no matter what you do, higher feats don't just get thrown out because something they clearly shouldn't have been killed by killed them.

Not really, like, at all. They're one of the few people who just has a straight up match hand to hand with Scion, meanwhile every else who tried just got slapped aside. A big factor was definitely her invulnerability, but that wouldn't have helped her actually hit them and do damage whatsoever. Outside of a few instances like Siberian, Alexandria isn't really treated on the same level as everyone else, in fact, Doctor Mother goes as far as to compare her speed to being nearly as fast as Legend, someone capable of perpetually accelerating and generally being a speedster a cut above the rest.

Scion just firing lasers in every direction isn't much of a "tooth and nail fight". You can't exactly say what happens, but it obviously isn't so one sided and it isn't implied that Leviathan could just use his aquatic speed to blitz Scion to oblivion.

It very much so does when Super speed is apart of the catalog.
Okay the problem with using real world jets is that:

1. Unlike Scion they take a while to accelerate to top speed.

2. Are much larger than Scion.

3. In all of these examples are relatively far away from the viewer. I can easily move my hand at "FTE" speeds to myself because of how close it is to me, but for an observer ten feet away they would be able to track my hand relatively easily.

It should be noted that they only saw Scion when he lifted a 45 foot tall monster, so I think youre overestimating how bright he is. Unless you think he slowed down for no reason.

Your argument is predicated on a flawed calc that is incongruous with the rest of the series. If Scion was Hypersonic, how did he ever get hit? Does he enjoy losing parts of his body or just feeling discomfort from getting knocked around?

Maybe because they're not fighting in the water as I said before? The only thing said about Leviathan is that he got out of the water.

DMUA, Crawler or Alexandria could be Massively Hypersonic but it wouldn't matter if Scion just fired a continent sized blast nearby while instantly regenerating from their damage.

Scion isn't described as being super close to everyone either, especially considering at this point the heroes are extremely battered and disorganized, barely keeping it together for the last stand. Scion makes up for that by being so bright they can see them from Kilometers away as a spear of light.

I don't think he ever actually gets hit in the endbringer fights, and when he gets hit in fighting the heroes, he's described as extremely casual and toying with them to cause the maximum amount of pain. Him getting hit is meaningless, and thus, an object to force despair into everyone as they try to do anything of substance to him but he just keeps going as he is. He doesn't feel discomfort and those parts of his body will not mean anything.

Being over the water would still give Leviathan an environmental advantage, something that it wouldn't make sense for him to not use in any way shape or form. Just launching himself would supposedly blitz Scion under this assumption.

Yeah. Doesn't mean that Scion just forgot about mover powers entirely in his arsenal and would thereby be slower than someone who doesn't even have the classification.

The text says that he was right next to Chevalier. Unless you have evidence to the contrary, I'm assuming the crowd was next to them since this is partially from Chev's perspective. Considering they couldn't see him until he lifted Behemoth, it seems they were unable to make him out until he was outlined against Behemoth, who's a dark toned rock monster.

Him avoiding all their attacks would help him with being sadistic since it would make the situation more hopeless, this doesn't help your point at all.

I mean in the same scene the Simurgh hits Scion, so I don't think he was avoiding Leviathan effortlessly.

Slower in reactions yes, not in flying from point A to B.

Overall, it seems you really want Worm to be Hypersonic despite massive evidence to the contrary.

Nothing is said about how close he is.

Scion lowered himself to nearly ground level. His golden hair moved in the wind as he gazed over the battlefield. His white bodysuit was smudged here or there on the sleeves, but otherwise seemed so pristine that it seemed to glow in the gloom.
He just lands, then the next mention of his action is him being on the horizon about to destroy Behemoth as people cheer on.

Just not getting hit wouldn't send the message that they can't do anything, it just says they aren't actually hitting him and maybe, just maybe, if they did actually hit him, it would work. He doesn't really ever try to dodge unless it's against Sting, otherwise he's just methodically dismantling everyone.

It obviously wasn't effortless, the endbringers are somewhat of a challenge to him when they're all ganging up on him like this. It's just something he was indeed capable of doing, and wouldn't be able to do whatsoever if he was as dramatically slower as this downgrade proposes.

And you seem to very much so want Worm to not be Hypersonic in spite of how we treat basically the entirety of fiction. But I only say that to respond to you because appeal to motive is right there on a page dedicated to Fallacy. Desires are insignificant to logic or what makes sense, and I will not lower myself to this again.

DMUA said:
Nothing is said about how close he is.
You omitted the part where Scion is close enough to Chevalier to heal his radiation poisoning.

DMUA have you ever repeatedly failed to hit a baseball when called up to bat? It's demoralizing, in addition your whole argument is circular logic.

"Scion is Hypersonic because of one calc I did."

"What about all the times he clearly wasn't?"

"He was jobbing, PIS."

"Okay, but the calc itself is very shaky and there's no real reason for him to job, and the characters who have to be scaled up to him have loads of anti-feats."

"Oh, those people were jobbing too."

I'm sorry if this sounds like strawmanning, but why even bother to try to analyze Worm for battleboarding purposes if you're going to twist everything so the actual plot is stupid?

Look, even if Leviathan could hit Scion 100 or a thousand times in a second or something, there's literally nothing stopping Scion from blasting him off. Speed has very little to do with this.

I mean, this would be fine, but you seem very unwilling to accept the idea that this calc is flawed and incongruous with the entire verse it's for.

Scion has planetary range, so not really seeing how being able to heal someone is an indication they're next to them.

Well, Scion didn't do it like that.

It's explicitly stated that he's being casual against literally everyone until he goes berserk, so, yes, they are jobbing and a superhuman character being swarmed by bugs that a normal human could get away from is PIS.

If you're worried about strawmanning, omit the point. A majority of plots in fiction are going to be stupid when you think about it statistically. Marvel became a storytelling giant because of exactly that, the ability to carry out a plot full of characters you can get behind. Not because they keep a power scale. Worm is the same sort of ordeal, Taylor survives being hit by leviathan when plenty of heroes got outright oneshot by the dude, for example.

I didn't read Worm because it had a reasonable explanation for a normal teenage schoolgirl to be able to deflect blows from one of the most brilliant tinker's cybernetic construction, I read it because it was about a sad, angry reject joining up with the few people she can call friends to overcome completely absurd odds. Hell, if anything, those odds are only enhanced by people being immensely faster than her.

Planetary range healing? Also the passage said Chevalier turned to ask Scion a question, so I really doubt he was a long distance away.

Casual as in he could nuke them with a gesture, not that he could secretly speed blitz them in a millisecond. I also doubt a normal human could escape thousands of bugs swarming them from every direction, insects are much faster proportionately than us.

I brought up the strawmanning point because I thought you would think I was misrepresenting you.

Anyway the rest of this is just philosophical differences between our approaches to battleboarding. I and many others try to make it fit in the verse's story and you don't, it's fine.

I agree with Abe's philosophy here, and I was extremely skeptical of hypersonic when it was applied, however I was too busy at the time to contest it much so I mostly just rolled with it.There seems to be far too many unknowns involved, and the lack of many supporting feats (for reaction timing) for me to fully support DMUA here. I definitly agree that travel-wise, Scion can move that fast no issues, but it becomes problematic when applied to combat speed.

Seeing as Ant supports DMUA's argument, though, it might be helpful to get more mods like Prom and Wok who are familiar with Worm to comment here.

Personally I agree with Abe's reasonings. Even if we were to take the calc at face value it's an outlier in my view.

Well, I only skimmed through the thread previously. If the two of you have read it more thoroughly, your evaluations should be more reliable.

I've talked to Prom and Wok off-site, and they seem to be largely neutral, with Prom leaning towards Abe's position.

I feel like it's fine for Abe to begin implementing this unless there's any further objections.

Is there anything left to do here, or should we close this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back