• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings. How about a game of CRT? I'll be playing with a downgrade deck.

This thread will work to do two things for the Witcher verse pages:
  1. Downgrade Quen Active Shield's City level rating, as the justification is incredibly weak and would logically lead to Geralt's physicals being City level as well
  2. Downgrade basic magic attacks as they don't scale with the energy of Weather Manipulation, making the Weather Manipulation just Environmental Destruction
This got delayed for the forum move, but better late than never. Without further ado, lets get into it:

1. Quen​

This is the clip for the alleged Quen Active Shield feat, which comes from the Battle of Kaer Morhen:

Triss cast a spell for fireballs to randomly fall down over an area (like you are required to dodge them while traveling by horse or foot), in order to suppress/distract/kill the Wild Hunt forces, and Lambert blocks one with a Quen Active Shield.
There are two problems:

First, it assumes that since Triss can do Weather Manipulation, this means that every random fireball Triss summoned is an overkill Tier 7 attack, even though this is not a focused attack and the vast majority of the fireballs will miss, which is absurd. This is like saying that since Triss can do Weather Manipulation through her Hailstorm spell, every single attack from hail is Tier 7.
Gwent_cardart_neutral_merigolds_hailstorm.jpg

The same CRT also removed the separation between Weather Manipulation as Environmental Destruction and direct attack AP, though this will be discussed in point 2.

The second problem is that seconds later in the exact same scene, we see Imlerith tanking a fireball, which will lead to Geralt's attack and durability being Tier 7 via. scaling. It is shown in a later cutscene that Geralt is physically comparable to Imlerith, and Imlerith was severely damaged and had part of his armor melted from Igni.

2. Environmental Destruction​

The second point is that equating the energy for magical attacks with the energy for environmental destruction is questionable. For one, non-Source mages don't have Tier 7 attack feats, and game Geralt fought multiple top-tier mages in boss battles, and it wasn't portrayed that a casual attack from them will turn Geralt to paste. The magic system in Witcher isn't 'add more magic/fuel for stronger attack'; it is about manipulating Chaos, which is fickle and dangerous, to use spells from different elements. The only people who are portrayed to have probable Tier 7 feats are Sources (and the majority of trained mages aren't Sources and don't come close to their magical potential).

"A Source," she explained coldly, "has no control over their skills, no command over them. They are a medium, something like a transmitter. Unknowingly they get in touch with energy, unknowingly they convert it. And when they try to control it, when they strain trying to form the Signs perhaps, nothing comes of it. And nothing will come of it, not just after hundreds of attempts but after thousands. It is one characteristic of a Source. Then, one day, a moment comes when the Source does not exert itself, does not strain, is daydreaming or thinking about cabbage and sausages, playing dice, enjoying themselves in bed with a partner, picking their nose… and suddenly something happens. A house might go up in flames. Or sometimes, half a town goes up."
"You're exaggerating, Merigold."

"Lambert." Geralt released his medallion and rested his hands on the table. "First, stop calling Triss 'Merigold'. She has asked you a number of times not to. Second, Triss is not exaggerating. I saw Ciri's mother, Princess Pavetta, in action with my own eyes. I tell you, it was really something. I don't know if she was a Source or not, but no one suspected she had any power at all until, save by a hair's breadth, she almost reduced the royal castle of Cintra to ashes."

~Blood of Elves
A source who loses control might blow up half a town, and Ciri's mother (who is a Source since she possesses Elder Blood) almost reduced a castle to ashes.

In contrast, let's look at the Merigold Hailstorm incident, which was referenced in the game. Weather Manipulation was described as being complicated, and Yennefer and Triss acknowledged that they don't know spells they can use on the spot with enough AoE to scare off an angry mob:

'Help me, Yennefer, 'Triss stopped for a moment. 'help me. Let's cast Alzur's Thunder...'

That will kill five, thought Yennefer. Then the rest will tear us apart. But okay, Triss. I will not run away. You will not see me run.

She joined in the enchantment. And they shouted in duet.

The people stared at them blankly, staring, but quickly recovered. They again began throwing stones at the sorceresses. Triss felt one whizz pass her head, but did not flinch.

It won't work, thought Yennefer. The spell will not work. We cannot conjure up something as complicated as Alzur's Thunder. It was said that Alzur had a voice like a bell and superior diction. And we are babbling and crying the words and melody...

She was ready to stop the chant and use her remaining strength to concentrate on some other spell, something to teleport them, or to distract the charging mob - if only for a second - with something unpleasant. But it turned out it was not necessary.

The sky darkened suddenly with clouds over the city. The shadows spread quickly. And a cold wind rose.

'Oh,' said Yennefer. 'It seems that you did it...'

~Lady of the Lake
Which means that they are limited by the magic system, and can't just casually use a spell to blow up a building, let alone half a town, even if they can use Weather Manipulation.

As a bonus, here are a couple of hax mentioned in Gwent card lore:

Triss can create a barrier that transforms arrows into butterflies
3x53EB6eXf8EP87vv5g5K79453ZrkDHf9yTKZTqlhDOw369lWnR6NZnCzHBZ-LIsiQskF44Txy4COy1Ui70f_C4CiDxZ6crQ0XyF0JnGHOM6cRBgezuEZIt-QfFdL-cz2XaINsSSzw=s1600

Yennefer can transform a garrison of soldiers into toads.
8MdlVQtqXGj-fRKM1Y8Ldp2SNos1wKQuf-Px546frwBGhZWV714RPeixK6t_u3ZUEXy_8WdVfg2wirVG7tbEf4uWgwmkh8LKtovq5ma1tpYdNLVKNyEAtxgO8YMsIIRrJC1AB4I9DQ=s1600

Yeaaah I am also neutral on Quen being city level. It is far beyond Geralt's physical durability but I was always sceptic towards it's current rating.

I don't know about the magic nerf, I'll wait for others. And the additions from Gwent are fine.

I'm also waiting on experts but I was going to clarify this context. Simply drawing from the same pool of energy isn't automatic that we assume all attacks are comparable; similar to how we don't always scale their strongest attack that drains most of their energy to their more basic Ki attacks. But if fireball spells and what not require comparable if not greater levels of energy concentration to the storm feats, it would be a different story. But I think it's made clear that Geralt is an example of a character whose physical attacks are not on par with his magic and especially not his storm feats, but I'd wait for other experts to elaborate some fireball details and what not.

I guess the downgrades for Quen make sense. I kinda always found the Quen 7-B dura stuff as iffy. Just leave it as "Higher with Quen"

As for the other additions, I trust Spookol's judgement since he knows more about Witcher than I do.

Agree on Quen downgrade.
The magic system in Witcher isn't 'add more magic/fuel for stronger attack'; it is about manipulating Chaos, which is fickle and dangerous, to use spells from different elements
If this is true then I agree with Part 2.

Yeah I also agree with the Quen downgrades

About the Magic stuff, I believe it's pretty clear, with that info, that they don't scale all of their Magic attacks to the storms we saw in the franchise, so for now I agree aswell

I guess Geralt's Durability could be "higher with Quen" and Triss and the others be "10-B/10-A physically, 8-C with Magic"

Thanks for the feedback and support 😊

Feel free to apply the changes Spooky; thread can be closed once the changes are confirmed.

It seems like this has been accepted and applied. Should we close this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back