• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Vehicular Mastery and Large Vehicles

Wokistan

Bioluminescent African American Working At The CIA
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Human Resources
TL;DR, how does vehicular mastery work on vehicles that are too big?

The specific question came up with the issue of a ship captain. Unlike a car driver or even an aircraft pilot, the captain of the ship is much more like a managerial or administrative position to the extent it feels awkward to lump them in with someone like a race car driver. A captain has responsibility over pretty much every aspect of their ship, but they get work done by delegating to and checking in with more specialized groups such as the engineers, port authorities, lawyers, accountants, the regular crew, and more. Their main direct role would be navigational, which often ends up more as planning than driving. It's important that they're a singular figure of authority whose word goes, but they're ultimately more similar in function to a CEO or a business owner or a military commander than what would conventionally be thought of as a vehicle master. Their job is coordination rather than the direct operation of the vehicle. Yes, I know the page says the ability to be able to drive ships counts, but that's just not how that works. People don't unilaterally "drive" ships.

In questioning this, we'd have to question who, if anyone, vehicular mastery would apply to on the ship. More specialized subgroups are only going to have expertise in a narrow area or set of areas because that's how specialization works, would they qualify? People with the title pilot usually are temporary employees specialized to specific local geography rather than part of the permanent ship crew and they work for ports, would they qualify even if they only really are experts in moving boats through a small stretch of water? What about the engineers? The navigational aids? Those manning the weapons on military ships? No position on a ship really seems to match up with the spirit of our vehicular mastery page, yet large boats and submarines are vehicles. This seems like a bit of an issue.

Ultimately, I'm not quite sure what we're supposed to do under current policy so I can't really make any suggestions until I can get a sense of where people are on the issue as a baseline.

I do think it qualifies if you take the concept of Vehicular Mastery has in a high degree expertise in relation to the specific vehicle, regardless of the conditions it requires to be manned.

So a Captain, or a highly specialized operator, would still qualify in my opinion.
I agree with this. The captain doesn't have to do all of the work, rather just knowing how the ship functions and everything that needs to be done to operate it, if that makes sense.

I do think it qualifies if you take the concept of Vehicular Mastery has in a high degree expertise in relation to the specific vehicle, regardless of the conditions it requires to be manned.

So a Captain, or a highly specialized operator, would still qualify in my opinion.
This.

Any amount of skill, expertise and experience considered to be far higher than average should definitely grant you Vehicular Mastery.

Back