• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Upscaling: Should There Be A Number For It?

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
So here's the thing. We often have things like "higher" and "far higher" in our profiles, and our Vs debates often have things like "upscales from" or "downscales from," yet we never really have an idea for how much upscaling is worth. We don't even have a page for upscaling. Heck, I came up with this thread when I looked at Metro Man's AP rating from his profile wondering why he's considered Small Town level when he upscales from 808 tons of TNT and realized "Oh shit, we don't really have guidelines for upscaling": https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Metro_Man

So, here's the deal. While I recall statistical significance starting at 8% somewhere, I looked it up recently and noticed that statistical significance actually starts at 5%: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_significance

Linking the Wikipedia article specifically because it cites an article from 2007 about the figure while other sources don't really have a citation for it. Other than that, this Harvard article recommends that you exert 70-85% of your maximum for exercise: https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/resistance-training-by-the-numbers

This would mean if one is forced to give it their all against someone else, they would technically be exerting about 1.176470588 to 1.428571429 times what they should be exerting.

As such, we would have 3 real-world values for upscaling: 1.05x, 1.176x, and 1.429x. Still lower than the 5x we have listed for one-shotting, but still.

But how should we handle this thing? Personally, I think like one-shotting, these should only apply to the baseline values of which these things scale from, and even then, they should be considered exclusive to Vs Debates just like how our rule for one-shotting works. That's my take on the matter at least. It should handle how we handle things like "higher" and "far higher" and the like if said higher values are unknown. I'm just afraid that real profile application would cause circular scaling issues.

So yeah, that's what I can gather. Feel free to discuss.

It's just better that multipliers aren't to be assumed here without reason for upscaling as the gaps are far too unknown commonly which most fictions depict.

It's just better that multipliers aren't to be assumed here without reason for upscaling as the gaps are far too unknown commonly which most fictions depict.
Isn't our one-shot multiplier basically just doing that but with a pretty high number (5x)?

Ya'll do realize that the one-shot gap isn't used for upscaling characters by 8x a piece right? You don't get to scale a character to 8x the calculated value just cause they one-shot someone.

Can't have it both ways, either we start inflating stats like Efi once inflated Kirby's profile or we don't do this crap.

The one shot value is only for what is needed to one shot with pure AP in versus threads, assuming optimal conditions.

We did have a thread talking about upscaling/downscaling, it was very long and the discussion was heavy. This was the result.

For people who don't get a solid number change. We just say they're higher or lower than the value they're scaling to if we don't have an exact multiplier.

There's really no need to set any standard number to how much a person should downscale or upscale from something, even if just in versus threads. When it comes to versus threads you can just compare the feats and see who's value gives a better boost. This is part of the debating process in versus threads.

I disagree with assuming any kind of number for upscaling/downscaling whatsoever.

Especially due to how simple higher rating can vary heavily between two characters.

Back