• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Top 20 Most Influential Films in the history of Mankind according to science

Godzilla is prob very close

but i swear if someone asks why Infinity War isnt on the list >_>

(I have been asked already outside the wiki)

Wow, I haven't seen half of the movies on this list, nor even heard of a quarter of them.

The only movies on the list i've actually seen are Wizard of Oz and Snow White.

Now that I think about it, Wizard of Oz is basically the prototypical young adult fantasy story.

I have seen:

Dracula

Frankenstein

Jaws

2001: Space Odyssey

Star Wars

Citizen Kane

King Kong

Snow White

The Godfather.

And I started watching Casablanca but fell asleep lol.

Overlord775 said:
>Godzilla is not in the list
Top 10 reasons to not belive in science
To be honest, Godzilla is one of those films that you heard/knew about its existence and popularity, but never watched, so it only influences you superficially.

Though, I would have put my bet on King Kong.

ZackMoon1234 said:
WHY IS INFINITY WAR NOT ON THE LIST
because if neither Back to the future nor Indiana Jones make this list then Infinity War is automatically disqaulified OvO

on a serious note though the first Avengers and Ironman are likely both far more influntial films than IW

Iron Man spawned the legendary Metal Ma so why it's not on the list is beyond me.

Surprised the original Superman or Tim Burton Batman films aren't on the list, they basically started the modern Superhero genre.

Birth should be #1. It had some very unfortunate racial themes, and those themes didn't even have much staying power given the KKK's massive decline in membership only a decade later (from millions to about 9000), but the sheer scale and quality and leaps in editing and staging and pacing and everything else saved cinema decades of development. It'd be like releasing Ocarina of Time or something similarly masterful to the game industry in 1980; D. W. Griffith was years ahead of his time. Thankfully, he followed up the grimly undertoned film with superior works like Intolerance and Broken Blossoms that better realised the more loving themes he had in mind; all his works are available on YouTube, and I can reccomend most of 'em.

Battleship Potemki should be higher, too, for Eisenstein's editing innovations and propaganda prowess. Really, the list isn't the worst as far as influence is concerned, but the order is all off even by that metric. The abscences of The Jazz Singer (first sound movie) and Fritz Lang's M (early thriller with the first masterful use of sound in movies) are ludicrous. Maybe include something like Texas Chainsaw Masacre or Hallowee simply proving the financial power of independent films -- the latter had an Arab producer, so the amazing Iranian art film scene may have some thanks for opening a door there. Seven Samurai helped introduce the amazing Japanese film scene to the world, and Akira was similar with Japanese animation. Sound of Music or some other musical should be there. Also, Cimino's Heaven's Gate should be on there simply for tanking the most massive production studio in the business due to the theatrical cut being butchered (Criterion Restorations rescued the film later on). And I guess some modern soulless studio blockbuster or other should be there by proving that appealing to the lowest common denominator and pandering to China and their censorship regulations is all you need to rake in the billions.

Also, don't know about it being so influential, but Casablanca rules; it's a magificient movie with stylish direction, iconic performances, and important themes of duty and putting the needs of your country and peers above one's own that most modern filmmakers (and audiences) aren't brave or wise enough to recognize.

Back