• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Titans 2018 Discussion thread

Alright since I started this thread I might as well give my first expression for the episodes 1-3 to everyone who is undecided whether to watch it or no, has heard bad or irritating things about it etc.

Episode 1:

I just watched the first episode and I have to say I am pleasently surprised.

From the very first moment to the very last I instantly got the feeling of watching an alternate universe version of Titans. Dark, Gritty, with less focus on the morale we usually see in the comics or even other DC shows like Gotham or Flash.

I was irritated at the character portrayal at first but it quickly grew on me. Instead of being repelled for being not absolutely true to the comic counterpart or the famous 2003 cartoon I instantly got hooked with a curiousity as to how they flesh out these alternate versions of the characters.

Also there have been some really good feats and hype already, with low wall level Raven when she send someone flying into a housewall, turning a human including its bones to ash from starfire, some mad SoulSelf hax from Raven making a dude puke its guts out and a really big "he will put our sun out" hype for Trigon.

All in all: Very good start if we dont look at it with die hard comic or cartoon eyes but with an open mind.

Gonna watch episodes 2 and 3 now.

Only thing it lacks: Not a single moment of comedic relief. The little BeastBoy incident at the end can hardly called that, seeing how it was meant to be a brief introduction.

Staying with BB for a moment: I was interested to see how they will deliver his animal sides and changes. Cant say I am too impressed yet however also not really disappointed. Was just one animal moment and I dont feel its time to judge yet.

-

Episode 2

Alright watched episode 2 and it gets even grittiers.

This episode solely focused on the Raven/Robin dynamic while advancing the plot. No Starfire, no BeastBoy. Great portrayal by the newly introduced characters Hank and Dawn - the ending had me shocked. I was not expecting Dawn being the one hanging onto her life.

Surprised to see the police women got so gruesomly killed. After the first episode I was expecting her to act as a form of anchor for Robin to keep his sanity. He opened up to her to a reasonable extent and it could have been a possible love interest for some time. Her home invasion incident had me baffled.

The way how Raven and Robin manage to slowly build up trust towards each other only for Robin to sabotage that due to his own insecurity was well delivered - Raven being an empath makes it all the more easy to deliver seeing how for us, the viewers, the question whether Robin was holding true to his words or not are not blurry but get called out loud in the open. You come back? No, you just lied to me.

I am getting used to the brutality in the show. It even more reaffirms me in the believe of treating this as an alternate universer DC. Also I am glad that while Raven is technically still a kid she already is in for the bigger picture. Fittingly Dawn got her to open up in seconds when she "didnt treat her like a kid".

In terms of feats Ravens shout which pushed back Hank and Robin and broke the window stood out. I am expecting this verse to enter the magical sphere pretty heavily. And with Raven being able to summon her Soul Self which performs durability negating "every organ vaporized" stuff she might now already be ready for some lower tier UBD topics.

I am hooked for episode 3 !

-

Episode 3

episode 3 and this was easily the best one so far. so many great things.

lets start with something obvious: starfire is a beast.

yes, i mean it. it doesnt matter that i was expecting a more traditional starfire or even a 03 starfires version at first, the starfire the show has introduced follows a complete opposite path and she does it brilliantly. the light to ravens darkness. seeking her before the story began with knowledge about what might happen is so different than oblivious visitor from outer space that a comparison is absolutely not possible. nowhere in the titans history has starfire been portraied in such a way and this to me is a legitimate new angle which allows for designing her the way she is.

i really enjoy that she is the one taking the lead most of the time, even when paired with quasi-mc robin. the way she handled these thugs was satisfying. the way she stole robins car was funny. the way she bulldozered her way to raven at the beginning of the episode was perfectly in character.

i acknowledge this version starfire as a complete unique character with unique motives and background knowledge compared to the traditional starfire we know from the comics and cartoon - and i am liking it very much.

secondly: i like that they slowly introduce every titan but dont force it upon us that these people need to someday be a world saving team. we are 3 episodes in and beastboy had around 30 seconds screentime in general. i expect him to naturally flow into the story in the next episode, after having been introduced in ep 2 and now having had a brief exchange with raven and the gang in ep 3.

the robin backstory was telling albeit i dont think it was particular interesting. they seem to stick true to its roots and him being roughed up in his teen upon entering the buce mansion is expected. i dont expect any major reveals from his past.

one thing i like to note however: the shot where we see an apparent bruce wayne from behind reminded me of ben affleck. his head and shoulder portion resembled the actor and his version of batman - interesting subjective opinion, but unrelated to the overall plot i guess.

glad to see that dawn survived - by a thread - and now is in recovery. fairly sure that story arc will be developed further.

the big baddie doomsday cult (brother blood intro somewhere down the line maybe?) strikes me as odd. going by what they say, they know trigon will "rip the flesh of the earth" so they know regardless what happens, they are doomed just as well. yet somehow despite that knowledge they pursue the matter. i would understand them doing things if they thought trigon is some form of savior who basically destroys and rebuilds. a god so to speak but it seems to me they pretty much know that he will just **** everything up.

i cant say i blame the sisters tho. they seem to know what is up and hence they take drastic measures to prevent it. even if that means imprisoning and deceiving raven and the gang. all for the greater good.

raven is really well played. i enjoy her shifting from kid to troubled portal of doom depending of the situaiton. be it complex talk or random arcade fun, she always takes the spotlight - unless starfire is in the same scene, then she remains in the background while the tough alien handles stuff.

i am overall happy that, while the overall fsk18 tone remains and sometimes even gets more dark we now have some comedy or joke moments. not too many, in fact very little, but without any at all it would be very hard to keep the tense atmosphere since there is just so much more gritty you can get without relaxing a bit from time to time.

lastly, the feats.

ladies and gents we have officially entered building level. starfire vaporizing that wall was already the first wall+ to low building level feat, maybe i will calc it even later, but raven having an outburst to free herself and in the process severely damaging/destroying the entire - really big - church we have left street level territorium.

surprisingly enough even the bad assasins seem to be superhuman already, as they can throw people flying through the air and wood. something i have not yet realized up until now.

and of course raven/trigon gets hyped again, as starfire describes her/him as "the destroyer of worlds"

this might become a really strong live action verse.

i am slowly becoming a fan.

Just watched episode 4.

Apparently this episode was called "Doom Patrol" and hence I was expecting a superhero-team like atmosphere. Especially since this episode finally officially introduced us to Beast Boy, who usually is associated with that team from the comics or cartoon.

That being said I totally did not felt it.

The characters of the supposed Doom Patrol were pretty lackluster introduced without any big characterization. Their roles appeared to be stereotypical and everyone had one specific trait to fill. Big tough guy with heart of gold. Fancy guy who remains level headed. Grim leader and the obvious "not what it seems" character in Rita.

I am totally fine with the characters of the Doom Patrol no more being a superhero team. I even have to admit that the adventures of the DP in the comics is not a series I followed regulary and as such I would not have had a big comparison to make and judge whether they done them justice. Them just taking refugee was something I accepted as just being part of this alternate universes setting.

Its just that the characters appeared to me to be pretty bland. Which I find a shame, since the other main and even side characters so far have been very very well portraied (Hank and Dawn come to mind!) with a level of deepness to them. Not so this time.

-

I am very happy and relieved that the series acknowledged the direction in which this version of Robin is going is not a good one, even for that grims verses setting. The way he batted down that family father with his kid watching only to realize what road he is taking and walking away was very well executed. Its not just "this universe is dark and robin does dark things" but instead its "this universe is dark but damn robin is falling of the edge little by little even by our standards".

-

Beastboy still seems to be a novice at his transformation. He exerts visible stress when doing it and its not as fluent as we know from either the comics or cartoon. Also he seems to be limited to Tiger form as of now. In addition the sound of his bones cracking when changing is unsettling. I am expecting him to have a big change over the course of the series in regards to that power. A small hint at that was given today, when he simply spoke about atom rearranging - so he will likely develop further forms.

Good animations on him getting angry over chief however. The way he turned green and his eyes sparked was very well done. Got me hyped for his future beasty adventures.

-

The music.

I have to talk about the music. From ep1 to this episode, the music has been placed and chosen nigh-perfect. Regardless the situation they found the accompanying tone for it. Not only that but they managed to find a good volume as well. Starfire kicks ass? Make it a loud and wild tune over the impact of her fists one some dudes face. Raven gets angry? Make it something slowly and then bursting out. Some minor but important setting? Let the music fade out but still be heard when you listen very closely in the background. Awesome stuff

-

Raven learned the ability to not only heal but to resurrect, without even knowing it. Thats a great feat and once again showcases the complete other side of the coin she is able to do with her powers and feelings in contrast to what she stands for - being the demon lords spawn and portal (one could go even further, that trigon is the literal devil if we assume that lucifer doesnt exist in this universe)

all in all it was a good episode. not episode 3 levels of good and more of a setup and introduction but now 4 titans are together. no idea when and if cyborg will ever join but i think for now thats the group we are dealing with.

the next episode looks great tho. the glimpse we got was from a training session and from the superhuman-amped assasins again.

looking forward to it!

OHH MY GOD ITS JASON

Episode 5 was brilliant and the ending just made it so much sweeter. I rate this episode an honest 9.5 out of 10 what a KICKER ending.

-

lets start with the beginning tho - the way adamson reacted to the fetus inside the egg and then casually proceed to make an omelett was one of the most creepy things I have seen in a tv series in a general way. it was not a shocking, slashing way of conveying that this man is used to brutality and blood and guts but it was the sheer indiferrency which got the message across. well executed beginning and set the tone for the remainder.

the little training montage was important since it absolutely established the difference in the way power works compared to their comic counterpart. could we only speculate till now we have now confirmation that starfire is powered by the sun and her powers diminish at night. feels a little taken aback to superman. i wonder if they did this in purpose to make it easy for the audience to follow and not get confused. beastboy seems to be confirmed to just be able to transform to a tiger for now but thats okay. I liked the way they showed both starfire and BBs powers in an explanatory way. only thing weird was that his tiger form supposedly scared robin. felt a little too forcedly hyped up but thats okay.

a little confused about ravens powers however. apparently her darkness actively comes from her mouth and is tangible as well? this is something which i think needs to be moved away from if they want to be able to have her at least getting a little bit of versatility like in the comics or the cartoons. then again she is the key story point and will become, like in both comics and cartoons, a massive powerhouse if she is let loose. so i am fine with her being reduced to such an undeveloped degree for now.

the beast boy and raven moment was cute. i am glad that even in this universe they stick true to the lore of Rae x BB being a thing. Whether they become a full fledged love interest pair or not is of no meaning. just that they share a strong bond with each other which exceeds their bond with for example starfire or cyborg is what matters. seeing they are kids i dont think an active relationship will play a big role.

in contrast to robin and starfire apparently. honestly it felt a little weird seeing them becoming so close and intimate with each other so apruptly. but i can understand that in this case too, they want to stick to the lore. thats something i can respect. i dont expect them to get into a relationship immediately, but the path is set.

i think its time i dive deeper into the nuclear familiy. i havent touched them all too much in my previous reviews, although i always found them to be very interesting villains. i really dig their absolute never-out-of-character style. be it when confronted with death from adamson, slaughtering civilians or fighting the hero cast, they remain the brainwashed, level headed and rutheless bunch of killers we saw from scene 1. i cant think of having seen any of them wavering even once for one moment. even as they got their heads literally blown off. well executed.

i almost laughed at the constant tone of the episode of everyone asking robin about his powers and he refusing to reveal it. we have shapeshifters, sunpowered aliens which shoot fireballs and an apparently literal world destroyer in the making - yet the little boy in a costume received all the center of attention as if he were some kind of...superman.

the ending was stunning and got me absolutely hyped. another robin. at first i thought it was damian, the actual son of batman since he had that know-better face when he saved dick however i learned that its jason once i saw the post credit scenes.

this was a genius move. in the last episode i said that i really liked the introduction of side characters and them being fleshed out like hank and dawn and that the doom patrol members felt lackluster - well in this episode they sure set the bar high with jason making such an entry. i cant wait to see how this develops further. lets go team R!

the feats:

of course the big reveal of him being robin was supposed to drive the point home that he is totally on the same level as the others and his remark about him becoming someone else in the costume and liking to hurt others was supposed to nail that thought into our brains - but i saw it more as a metaphor for him to further connect with raven so she can develop her abilities.

this was a really nice episode for supporting feats. for one we got 100% proof of superhuman abilities. be it noselling broken bones, smashing people meters away with a door window, reacting only with a snarky remark when getting stabbed in the head or being otherwise lethally pierced. the serum they inject themselves with have clear benefits physically wise.

overall this episode was probably the best in the entire series, leaving last weeks episode shamefully in the dust and going by what is to come it only gets better! lets wait and see what ep 6 has to offer!

Back