• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Timelines and universes ?

I alway get confused about these terms. Are timelines and universes different from each other ? I alway treat the word "alternate timeline" the same as "alternate universe". But then I see 1 Ben 10 Universe consist of infinite timelines.

Now to the real question: Does 1 Marvel universe contain many timelines like the Ben 10 one, and if it doesn't, so Alien X can recreate or destroy Ben 10 universe consist of infinite timelines, does that mean Alien X can destroy the entire Marvel Multiverse if 1 marvel universe only consist of 1 timeline ?

In most pieces of fiction, they tend to be synonymous. However, the term "timeline" is often used when the focus is still set on certain individuals, events, or things with minor changes causing the universe to be different.

For instance, say that we're following one character in one specific universe. We are then given a glimpse of another universe in which one key decision of that character caused the apocalypse. However, despite the drastically different scenario, we are still focusing on the same character in an altered but similar setting. This would usually be referred to as an "alternate timeline".

However, say the same character travels from their universe to a universe in which all laws are different, humans don't exist, and nothing is remotely the same. This would usually be referred to as an "alternate universe".

In short, yes, they are the same in most fiction, but context tends to dictate which term is used.

Yeah, I was wondering about this as well. When you destroy a single universe, but has infinite converging and branching out timelines, are you considered 2-A?

I remember reading an original story by my friend. In said story, she said that each universe has infinite timelines, and the entire multiverse consists of infinite "universes". So destroying a multiverse that has infinite universe, and in turn every universe having infinite timelines means that you are still 2-A? Or higher?

Sorry to impose another question, even if I am not the OP.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
Destroying a universe and an infinite number of variations of a universe = 2-A.

Destroying that, plus an infinite number of other universes with infinite variations = High 2-A.
Oh thanks! So the second one is considered a 5th dimensional being I see. Thanks!

Back