• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Three Galbatorix things

"Can absorb energy from any lower lifeform around him"

I'm not sure if this is true. When Oromis instructed Eragon on how to absorb energy from living beings around him, he noted something along the lines of it being one of the biggest secrets of magic, that probably not even Galbatorix knows.

I don't recall him ever using this technique either, so I think it is likely that he doesn't know he can do that. It should additionally be noted on the profile that a telepathic connection is required in order to do that.

"Resistance against Mind Manipulation and Time Stop"

Nothing against the Mind Manipulation, but I consider the time stop questionable.

It is true that Angela mentioned that she would be useless against Galbatorix, but that doesn't necessarily mean time stop resistance.

Angela can't exactly stop time for long given how much it exhausts her and as long as Galabtorix wards still work, even if time is stopped, there is nothing she could do during stopped time, which would harm Galbatorix in any way.

"likely Large Island level with magic (He did this without any Eldunarí and should therefore be far stronger, since Eragon's 136 Eldunarí possess slightly more energy to protect himself, two dragons and several people from Galbatorix's suicide spell and Galbatorix was stated to possess several hundred of them)"

The first point here makes no sense. The suicide spell converts ones body into energy per E=mc^2, the energy released is not what the spell user has accessible otherwise. When explaining the spell, when it was used by thuviel it is even specifically said:

How could any one persion, elf or not, cause so much damage? Even if Thuviel's dragon helped him, I can't think how it would be possible, not unless his dragon was the size of a mountain.

His dragon did not help him,
said Glaedr. His dragon was dead. No,Thuviel wrought this destruction by himself.

But how?

The only way he could have: he converted his flesh into energy.

Quite clearly stating that with any other technique that degree of destruction wouldn't be possible, meaning that the user doesn't usually have that kind of energy.

That Eragon nearly used up the entire energy of his eldunari to defend against the spell also indicates that Galbatorix alone couldn't produce that much energy.

With that the only justification is the second part, stating that galbatorix had hundreds of eldunari, while eragon had only used 136 to tank the spell.

That is true, however in order to even jump to island level he would need nearly 400 eldunari, which is more than one can deduce from him merely having several hundred.

So I think Large Island level is inappropiate.

1. I have to read that part again where Oromis showed Eragon this, but absorbing energy from others wasnt really a secret in the verse (at least for the elves), unlike the knowledge of the Eldunari. It certainly was an advanced technique, but Galbatorix learned magic in a time where the dragon riders (humans and elves) where still alive and was considered a prodigy in combat and spellcasting, plus all the time he had after the killed the dragon riders to advance his skill. He may never used it (he never really had a chance, since it requires telepathic contact and Eragon had the protection of the Eldunari), but he didnt use a lot of powers Eragon has and we can still assume that he has them because of the fact that Galbatorix was a magical genius with a lot of experience.

2. I will read that part again, but if she explicitly said that this spell is useless against him that would give him resistance against time stop.

3. I think you get that wrong. As long as a magician has enough energy and knows the ancient language he can achieve anything he wants with magic, with any spell/technique (Thats how magic works in this verse). "Normal" magicians doesn't usually have that kind of energy and have to use this technique to do that. But the Eldunari provide you with enough energy to overcome your own limitations.

"That Eragon nearly used up the entire energy of his eldunari to defend against the spell also indicates that Galbatorix alone couldn't produce that much energy."

Eragons 136 Eldunari can provide enough Energy to shield him and some others from 6.291e18 J. Galbatorix alone cant (only with his suicide spell), but with all of his Eldunari he has that power.

If we can agree on that, the only thing we need to justify his tier its the number of his Eldunari. There is one statement from Oromis about the number and at the end of the last book, where Arya and the elves recover several big boxes full of Eldunari which might give us a clue about the number.

Conclusion

• Galbatorix experience, the fact that he was a prodigy and learned under the elves make it possible that he has knowledge about that power
  • Angela can stop time and explicitly stated that it would be useless against Galbatorix
  • As long you have enough power, you can achieve anything with magic, but normal magicians doesnt have that power, unlike Eldunari users. Galbatorix has far more Eldunari, which should give him enough energy to have that AP.

1. I think from all people Oromis would have known best what Galbatorix learned, given that he is the only alive person that was directly involved in the details of dragon rider teaching. Since he evaluated it as Galbatorix probably not knowing it, there is a huge point against him having it.

In the first place one can not simply give people abilities they were never stated to have or never demonstrated. The burden of proof for him having the ability is on the one claiming he has it.

2. I don't think she did, she only said she herself would be useless in such a battle.

Heck, even if she said the spell specifically is useless (I don't think she did) there is a difference between a spell being useless and not working. A spell that makes it so that nobody can hear your steps is useless if the other person can see you, but the spell would non the less work as intended.

3. Yeah, the only thing that can justify his tier is the number of eldunari. Thing is aside from "several hundered" and it being a lot more than eragons nothing is said.

IIRC how large the boxes were wasn't stated either and even if we knew it since the size of eldunari vary we can not conclude anything from that.

So for what we know Galbatorix could have only 200-300 eldunari, which would make him several times more powerful than eragon, but still at the same tier.

Galbatorix should also be Large Mountain level through magic.

Ok. I will read those parts again and until I have done that, I change his Tier to possibly 6-C. The life absorption is already at possibly.

Would the amount of Eldunari that Galbatorix has affect his tier? Because when I looked up how many he had, the wiki says he had thousands of them. And where did large island come from?

As for whether Galbatorix knew about the energy absorbing magic, I think it's that sharing your energy with others wasn't rare. All Galbatorix had to do was destroy the minds of the Eldunari and force them to swear loyalty to him in the Ancient Language, then they would serve him and give him their energy. But for Eragon, he was able to take energy from them without them sharing it, and was able to beat Gal with it. I doubt Gal knows about it.

For the time stop, Gal has tons of wards. If he didn't, he could easily be assassinated by fodder or set on fire by some magic user. His wards made him immune to most magic though which is probably why she said it would be useless. Gal had so much knowledge about magic he probably knew about it and set up wards. And even if he didn't, supposing there was the rare chance that time stop worked, there would be nothing Angela could do - any attack she would try on him wouldn't work and the moment he's out he'll mindrape her. There's also a possibility that she found out that Gal knew about the Name of the Ancient Language because of her fortune telling ability. If so, she'd know no magic works on him - Anyone who knows the name of the ancient language could stop anyone they want from using magic and magic becomes pretty much useless against them. Only way Eragon won was because his magic didn't need words.

@Drakelix: So if I understand what you are writing correctly you agree with my points?

For the question of wether the number of eldunari would affect his tier: I would suppose it can, if we assume that if he has x times as many eldunari as eragon he also is x times stronger. But I have only heard galbatorix to have hundreds of eldunari, which wouldn't change his stats even assuming we do that.

1. It's likely that in all his time of mind haxing people over a few decades he worked out that he could drain energy from them. However, this might be a bit too speculative for some.

2. I always got the impressin that she just meant something along the lines of "his wards will still work even in time-stop", not that he could actually still move around in time-stop, but that might have just been me.

3. Someone needs to work out how many Eldurnari he has.

1. It certainly is too speculative for me, given that the only known information about whether or not he has it states he probably doesn't.

2. I agree

3. Well, I don't know how and until someone does it should be downgraded to what we actually know, as after current stands there is no evidence justifying him "possibly" jumping 2 tiers up.

This thread is really dragging on a lot. Can a decision be made and the profile edited with the input we have now?

I found the page where Angela performs her time stop (last book, page 353, german version). She doesnt really mention Galbatorix, so I guess his resistance against time stop can be removed.

Still looking for the life absorption part, but this ability is possible for Galbatorix, so I guess we keep it at possible.

In Brisingr Oromis makes an estimation about the number of Galbatorix Eldunari: "Many hundret" (page 720, german version). Please keep in mind, that Galbatorix is already High 7-A and we found out that he needs around 400 Eldunari to be 6-C. I would say we downgrade him from High 6-C to 6-C or Low 6-C.

So what are the overall conclusions here?

Remove resistance against time Stop Life Absorption stays at possible And a downgrade from High 6-C to 6-C or Low 6-C, depending what the other say

I don't know, it's been a while since I read the books. Although I kinda agree with keeping the 6-C/life absorption as a "possibly".

Also iirc Galbatorix shielded himself from the mass-energy conversion of an elf without any Eldunari.

Then lets keep it at possible 6-C, since its still possible for Galbatorix to have that much eldunari

Kaltias said:
Also iirc Galbatorix shielded himself from the mass-energy conversion of an elf without any Eldunari.
Not quite.

"Was it the blast that killed Glaerun? Eragon asked, referring to the one member of the Forsworn who he knew had died on Vroengard.

It was. Galbatorix and the rest of the Forsworn has a moment of warning, and so were able to shield themselves, but many of our own were not as fortunate and thus perished."

Galbatorix likely had some Eldunari at that point and whether the Forsworn had is unknown.

More importantly though it is unknown how far away they were from the explosion. Given that the battle probably happened over the whole island they could have been several hundred meter from the origin of the explosion, severly diminishing the energy they would have to use to shield themself.

Back