• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Thread for work in progress character page (R.J MacReady)

Figured that in the spirit of Halloween and all things utterly terrifying, I'll try make a new horror character page. This one will be for R.J MacReady from the 1982 film, 'The Thing'.

I am currently trying to fill out as much as I can, but I decided to post my attempt here and see if anyone else can add any info/feedback that I can add.

~

R.J MacReady

"I know I'm human. And if you were all these Things, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still human. This Thing doesn't want to show itself, it wants to hide inside an imitation. It'll fight if it has to, but it's vulnerable out in the open. If it takes us over, then it has no more enemies, nobody left to kill it. And then it's won."

Summary: R.J MacReady is the main protagonist of the 1982 film "The Thing". MacReady previously worked for Hughes Aircraft as a test pilot. After getting into a confrontation with the company's top management, he resigned in order to be able to take the assignment at the Antarctic.

While station with eleven other men in an Antarctic research base during the winter of 1982, the men of U.S Outpost 31 were secretly infiltrated by a unknown extra-terrestrial organism which began assimilating some of the men of the outpost. However, MacReady and the men at Outpost 31 discovered this shapeshifting organism after it attacked the sled dogs at the kennel, and fought it off. Dubbing this monstrosity 'The Thing', MacReady eventually stepped up to the role of the group's leader after paranoia festered amongst the group, not knowing who was human and who was actually The Thing.

Tier: 10-A physically, 9-C w/ flamethrower, up to 9-B w/ dynamite

Name: R.J MacReady

Origin: The Thing

Classification: Human

Powers and Abilities: Vehicular Mastery, Weapon Mastery (Is able to use shotguns, pistols, flamethrowers, dynamite. Was able to turn and shoot Clark within the span of a second despite initially aiming at Childs), Fire Manipulation (via flamethrower and flares), Explosive Manipulation (via dynamite)

Attack Potency: Human level physically, Street level w/ flamethrower and most weapons, up to Wall level w/ dynamite (A single stick of dynamite was able to completely destroy the Palmer-Thing, who had just burst through a wooden wall.)

Speed: Normal Human

Lifting Strength: Average Human

Striking Strength: Human Class

Durability: Human level

Stamina: At least Above Average (Managed to make his way back to Outpost 31 after being purposefully lost in the storm by Nauls, despite being tired and exhausted as a result of The Thinwithout , managing to break a window in spite of )

Range: Standard melee range physically, several meters via dynamite, a dozen meters via flamethrower, up to 50 meters with shotgun

Standard Equipment: Sticks of dynamite, flares, flamethrower, Mossberg 500 shotgun, Colt Python pistol.

Intelligence: Above Average, possibly Gifted (A skilled helicopter pilot and former test pilot, MacReady is also proficient with various weapons ranging from shotguns and pistols to flamethrowers and dynamite. When Garry stepped down from being the group's leader, MacReady took the position and was the one responsible for managing Outpost 31 and the group whilst The Thing was among them. Managed to put together a hot needle test capable of identifying who was The Thing after witnessing Norris-Thing's head move while detached from its body, correctly hypothesizing that each individual cell of The Thing was its own being with a desire to protect its own life.)

Weaknesses: Normal human weaknesses.

Last edited:
Back