• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The discussions update notification bar

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

I know that I have mentioned this earlier, but it is important enough to repeat every now and then, since it negatively affects this wiki from running properly.

The icon in the upper right corner of the screen is ideally supposed to inform us whenever there are new responses to discussion threads that we have subscribed to, either by clicking "follow" or by responding ourselves.

However, thanks to a glitch in the programming, after a while we only get updates for some threads, whereas the rest remain hidden.

I have mentioned this to the Fandom staff several times, and welcome others to politely do the same thing, so they prioritise the issue, but in lack of a functioning system, there is a way to do something about this.

After you have opened the threads that interest you in separate windows, you can click the "Mark all as read" button, in order to show updates to the previously hidden discussions.

Depending on for how long your update system has been allowed to glitch in this manner, you might need to repeat the procedure several times to completely clean the cache, and in addition you should preferably repeat it again at least once every week, as the notification glitch still remains until the Fandom staff manages to find and do something about it.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

It seems that you are not the only one that has noticed this glitch. There were times where I clicked the "mark as all read" button, and yet more notifications to threads keep popping up.

Clicking the "mark as all read" button several times allows the notifications icon to completely clear out any notifications, so this is not a major issue.

Yes, but it has to be done systematically, so a staff member can check up all of the relevant notification updates along the way.

When opening the threads that needs to be browsed in a separate window, click the "Mark all as read" button, as this will allow the notification bar to show updates to the previous hidden discussions that were not shown previously.
I have written a section that you could add to the Advice page. Feel free to adjust this as you see fit.

I think that I would need a considerably longer explanation in order to make people understand the full context.

What are the necessary points that you would like me to add in the explanation? I can expand upon my previous section if you would like.

• Due to a glitch in the programming of the Wiki, only updates for some threads appear in the notification bar, while the rest remain hidden. To get around this issue, when opening the threads that needs to be browsed in a separate window, click the "Mark all as read" button, as this will allow the notification bar to show updates to the previous hidden discussions that were not shown previously. Depending on the length of time the update system has been glitched, repeating the above procedure several times allows for the notification cache to be completely cleaned of excess notifications.
Since most of the points in the Advice to the Staff page seems to be short in terms of length, I am not sure if the explanation for this issue should be too lengthy here.

I can probably try to write something later based on my first post in this thread. However, I am currently very busy with the daily backlog.

The explanation for this subject has been expanded, according to your request. I am just worried that the explanation for this might turn out too long.

I am mostly fine with the new text. I will add a slightly modified version to the Advice page.

Okay. Thank you for the help.

If this thread is concluded, I should probably close it.

Thread concluded.

EDIT: Maybe not. Should we wait for others?

Well, there is no harm in keeping this particular thread open for other staff members to notice.

I've only had this issue once, but just now every single notification disappeared randomly like I pressed "Mark all as read" and now I don't know what I was involved in.

Yes, that happens to me every now and then as well. I have informed the Fandom staff about this issue, but they have not been able to do anything about it yet.

You can inform them here, to confirm that the problem exists, as it might cause them to prioritise the issue: http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contact/general

Anyway, when that happens to me, I tend to check the content revision forum for which threads that have been updated since I last logged in.

Back