• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The difference between reality vs fiction?

When a character is described as compared to another as reality vs fiction what exactly does that entail? At the highest, one could think of is tier 0 characters as fiction and real life people as real life. Thus would that make them automatically higher than any other tier that doesn't have this kind of restriction? For instance would they be higher than any other verse that doesn't have a difference of "reality" vs "fiction"?

There are probably some guidelines but considering how each fiction doesn't always follow the rules of higher dimensions, I was just wondering how one would interrepret this.

Lots of characters are able to view lower realities as fiction/information, but there can be a high infinite number of degrees of this.

According to what I have heard, Umineko, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, and I/O, for example, all feature variations of this concept. DarkLK knows most about this, and is probably the best person to ask.

That all that is fictional is by definition, something that came out of our minds, specifically, the human one, despite what you can see in characters from Umineko, Ichiban, Demonbane (holy shit this guy is the closest thing to being omnipotent without being one) and plenty of other things, they aren't able to interact with something as the RL, which is vastly different in all senses and ways.

If for example, I wrote about a character called "Croxi", Croxi is able to be above everything that can be abovable, he can beat the likes out of any series, that could only happen inside the story i'm writing for, what we see in fiction is basically "Drawing vs Drawing" at its most normal.

But naturally, "Croxi" is not able to touch me, he is not able to change me nor he will be able to do so, he is trapped in my story and has no way to set free despite being apparently "Above" everything else in all existent, that's why even a 5 Year old Cat, a young Kid, a random hobo, or just about anything that has enough power in this life, can beat pretty much anything that has been created, because it doesn't matter as they don't nor will ever exist.

That's about it, of course we can calculate about the strength of our fictional characters, we can try to see what can they do, but we will never, ever truly experience what are they doing, since they are all fictional, and that's how they'll remain, as drawings and powers that came out of our own minds.

But don't worry too much about those things, instead of worrying about these things, just try to make fun of them, just try to see how ridiculous can a character truly reach after a certain development, that's how is always been with all if not most series that look for having characters with ourageous powers.

In the end, what it truly matters, is the quality of the story, because i ask you, Would you like a story where all the characters are super dimensional beings but the plot is weak and with no existent development?, or a story with weak as hell characters, but with a touching, interesting, enjoyable story?, in the end, it's up to the consumer tastes, the consumer opinion is what it gives the fuel to a work of fiction.

Well, I agree that I don't like overpowered stories with poor craftsmanship, plot, and characterisation, but there are some stories with ridiculously powerful characters that are enjoyable anyway.

May i add, Ant, that that would only work if the plot is interesting and has humor of some degree in it. That's what i would like to read and/or watch in a series.

Antvasima said:
Well, I agree that I don't like overpowered stories with poor craftsmanship, but there are some stories with ridiculously powerful characters that are enjoyable anyway.
That's totally right, for example, I am not exactly a fan of Ichiban no Daimaou, and for a Harem/Ecchi story with an OP protagonist, most people would look at the story of this Manga/Anime in a certain form, weak, or average for most consumers, since it doesn't bring anything too much out of a corny, perverted story.

But then you look at the likes of Umineko, crap, even the Shit Tier of the Shit Tier could solo at least an 80% of all fiction in Anime/Manga/Comics (Though, mostly for those characters getting godly upgrades via super hax piecing warping reality,) but even then, it is really interesting, the series is not much about how ridiculous the characters are, but more about the Mindgames, the building, the suspense, all is really well crafted, in fact, only the battles are the tip of the iceberg of this series, because it's more about Strategical and Mystery solving than fighting, despite having characters these powerful.

But even then, taking out the likes of Umineko or certain other pieces of media alike, most of these characters with OP infinite dimensional powers gets really ridiculous backgrounds, it is hard to establish a coherent enjoyable story from them, in this case, the characters from Tenchi Muyo get things like "Obtained high dimensional powers, now you can... create a CD Drama that talks about all possibilities in 50 minutes?", "You're telling me that the main feature of the protagonist of Demonbane, is his large sexual organ?, this hyperverse dimensional infinity being main feature is his ****?, That Nya looks like a woman with big boobs and also a exploding star as a head?, wtf?".

So yeah, no surprise that most of the stories that presents Tier 1 characters are mostly, unpopular, forgotten or overlooked by many, weird for most people, etc. even Tier 2B/2A are kinda scratching in that regard, but you have more possibilties to make something more coherent and possibly enjoyable out of them for the general public.

Don't get me wrong, i still think that OP hyperverse characters can be done right, as long as you write something that conducts to a development, but that is lately proving harder, as more new stories prefer to stay with "Normal" powers than these kind of characters, either way, I'll still wait for the great big anime/manga/whatever that brings a character powerful but also interesting, like Umineko no Naku Koro ni characters.

CrossverseCrisis wrote:

May i add, Ant, that that would only work if the plot is interesting and has humor of some degree in it. That's what i would like to read and/or watch in a series.

Plot, yes. It's one of the main aspects of quality writing. Humour however, is more of an opinion. Sometimes one may feel humour detracts from the plot. Genres such as this are really enjoyable based on the viewer's preference.

In my opinion, being greater than the (fictional) reality means you are above the dimensional constraints of particular dimensions resulting in, obviously, very high tiers, but this does not mean that the stated are tier 0. They are not (always) boundless as they are still constrained to the higher plane of existence from which they view characters in lower realities.

@Creatox Mind the language please. This is supposed to be a family-friendly wiki.

Antvasima said:
@Creatox Mind the language please. This is supposed to be a family-friendly wiki.
Sorry, I just got a little excited over there, specially when talking about things like that, I shall answer from this point with a more controlled vocabulary.

Just for curiosity's sake, since we are speaking of reality - fiction interaction, and how author avatars must be viewed as fictional as well... How would one interpret this:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/morrison4.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11113/111133907/3388532-3255054-am_26_005.jpg

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/run23d.jpg

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/morrisonmeets7.jpg

A higher dimensional being who can manipulate the 3D world as fictional, but with limited range?

Well, it is still just a nonsensical author avatar. Grant Morrison cannot truly interact with his own stories, and they cannot affect him either.

Also, in a later Suicide Squad comicbook, said author avatar was written by another author, John Ostrander, to be quite limited and easily killed, so it is a moot point anyway.

I see, wasn't aware of his usage by another writer in another story. I thought it "could" be interpret within the boundaries of fiction, but the Suicide Squad book kinda breaks it.

I really wasn't expecting this many replies in such a short time frame. I suppose what we can take away from this is that reality vs fiction within fiction itself does not actual mean reality vs fiction in the literal sense of tier 0 vs real life person.

It simply means that the person who can view lower dimensional characters as reality vs fiction is much more powerful than the characters they are viewing.

We cannot take the reality vs fiction in the true sense of real life vs a fictional story because despite the author having describe it in such a sense, they are still technically fictional characters.

Am I correct in my assessment?

On other words, we disregard it as pure nonsese, and use feats that the characters perform in order to gage their abilities then.

I see then, that makes sense.

Well, we gauge real life people as beyond omnipotent entities that are able to interact with their stories as nonsense.

If a certain fiction depicts a character as being able to perceive and manipulate a lower level of reality as fiction, this can still be fauged from how high that reality is placed within our hierarchy.

Back