• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Supersonic Movement through Magma

I did some math to try and determine how durable and strong someone would have to be to run through magma at supersonic speeds which is a feat Samus has had since Super Metroid. After looking up a bunch of places online and asking my Math teacher, I was told I needed to find out the Terminal Velocity and Drag Force.

Velocity= Square Root (2*Mass*Acceleration/Density*Projected Area*Drag Coefficent)

Drag Force = Drag Coefficent * Density *Projected Area x (Velocity^2)/2

Mass = 90kg(Samus's Weight), Acceleration=340.29m/s(Mach One), Density=2800kg/m^3 (Density of Magma in Mantle), Projected Area =2.18m^2 (Samus's Body Surface Area based on her height and weight)

Drag Coefficent was annoying to get, but since 120 is the norm for V for a human in Earth conditions I was able to work it backwards and got 5/109.

Ignoring the Zebes gravity calc, and you get a v of ~14.79. With the gravity calc, you times Acceleration by 960 and get a v of ~458.26. Not Impressive, but it gives a Drag Force of 3.9 x10^7 newtons and 3.7 x10^10 newtons. This means without the gravity calc, Samus can move and displace over 4400 tons effortlessly and 4.2 Million tons with it. This would be a feat for Lifting Strength and Durability.

Someone with a bit more knowledge in this verify this? I'm admittedly not the best with math and while the calculations seem mostly right for normal gravity, the calculations seem "a bit" ludicrous with the Zebes gravity. Thank you.

So you're saying Class M without counting the gravity of Zebes and Class G counting it right? That and, you would like it to be verified correct?

It won't really change her durability; as excluding her zero suit and basic Fusion Suit; which both respectively can still withstand roughly 10 kilotons of TNT relatively unharmed. Her next weakest suit, Pre-Zero Mission Basic Power Suit, it Mountain level or at least 100 megatons of TNT. As for the lifting strength part, I'm hyped for Class-G Samus and Ridley; better than the Vorash calc I attempted a while back. Although, keep in mind. If we're going to exclude the 960 G's, we would have to use Mach 1000 for Samus's speed. Additionally, I do recall Lina Shields, I think that's who it was, mentioning that lifting strengths on higher gravity actually need to be squared. And I can see the reasoning, not only is the object being lifted being multiplied, but the physical strength of the person lifting it is also being divided. For example, if someone was on a planet that was 2 G's and lifting an object that would normally be 2 tons on Earth; they're actually lifting 8 tons due to the have that only half their strength is demonstrating lifting 4 tons. So, the excluding Zebes gravity, would need to be double checked using the Mach 1000, and including the gravity might be more like a Class-T feat.

Back