• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Super Smash Bros. Speed Issues

LordXcano

VS Battles
Retired
Currently we have everyone scaled based on Pikachu's down-special, which generates a small cloud which lightning comes from. However, I don't see why we're using lightning as the reference point for speed when there are not only several other equally valid reference points we could scale off of, but also direct statements of how fast you're moving. Every reference point for speed I can remember in the games are -

• DK's soundwaves
  • Link's arrows
  • The speed of the Dragoon
  • Meta Knight's slashing speed (Which is stated to be supersonic)
  • Latios and Latias (Stated to be faster than fighter jets)
  • Pikachu's lightning
Using any one of these would get different speeds for everything else. They're pretty much completely unreliable as actual points to tell you how fast the fighters are moving. This would obviously be a big problem if it weren't for the fact that the game itself tells you how fast the characters are moving. Like, really. All movement speeds are measured in decimeters/frame and the results screen (In Smash 4 at least) even gives you an accurate assessment on how fast the characters were being thrown around in mph.

The speeds given even match up with the in-game scale, so the developers weren't just throwing around random numbers for balance purposes. The distances in Home Run Contest are exactly as far as the speed the game says you're moving would suggest. That meaning that if Kirby was stated to run 10 m/s a 1 second run in the map would move you a shown 10 meters.

All running speeds in the game have been measured already here, Sonic being the fastest at 3.5 decimeters/frame, or 21 m/s. However some Final Smashes are obviously much faster than this, with Super Sonic and even Beast Ganon being over 2x as fast as base Sonic is, putting them at around 40~ m/s. I think Marth and Lucina's Final Smashes are even faster but I can't find a value for that.

Admittedly though, this is just running speed. Reaction speed still needs something to scale off of, but I think scaling everyone to "at least Supersonic" based on Meta Knight's statement of attacking faster than sound should be fine for now.

tl;dr Everyone scaled from Pikachu's lightning is changed to some level of Human to Superhuman speed depending on their stated speed with Supersonic reactions to match that

That paragraph about "running speed" seems very irrelevant as that's just their speed as depicted in-game.

It's like saying every video game character ever has slow running speed because they don't get from Point A to Point B instantly.

Yeah which I could understand if the values weren't literally stated in what is essentially m/s which is then backed up by in-game distances and the results screen all using those same values.

If the game's code outright says Sermon Joe is 5 m/s and running for 1 second correlates to a stated 5 meters and then the pause screen says "Top Speed - 5 m/s" then I'm going to assume that Sermon Joe is likely 5 m/s.

Why in the world is the game's code important here?

Also, stated speed is like the most useless thing ever. According to Toei all Rangers and Riders are Subsonic, according to CW Flash is Mach 3. Stated speed should never be used under absolutely any circumstance.

Because the code says their speed in what is essentially m/s and it's backed up by the game several times?

"Stated speed should never be used under absolutely any circumstance."

Then WoG shouldn't be used either.

Apparent speed doesn't matter.

The game's code doesn't matter either.

Feats trump statements, always. If you can move in speeds comparable to Lightning, then it's obvious that everything is shown at slow down speeds.

If a character says "This thing is moving at 100 m/s" and it appears to be moving at 5 m/s, then you can say that time is slowed 20x over. In this case it's said "This thing is moving at 10 m/s" and everything looks like it's moving 10 m/s, so everything is moving as fast as it looks.

You literally defeated yourself.

These characters have MHS+ and even Lightspeed fewts, so it's clear that they are not as slow.

Statements barely matter. They only determine the speed they move to us, the player, be able to control them. It's not their real speed.

If they're stated to be moving at 10 m/s and the lightning seems to be moving at 10 m/s I'd sooner say that the lightning scales to their speed rather than vice versa since we have no actual evidence that the lightning is fast, just assumptions.

I can get the characters being slowed for gameplay, but there's no reason for the results screen to stretch the numbers for no reason when it has no gameplay value.

Back