• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Pardon me, please, but dare I ask what happens if you open the link to the survey, copy the url, & try to paste the url somewhere? Is that allowed?

I like getting hit with random accusations by people that didn't even take the time to read the actual downgrade thread, really makes my day every time
bruh idgaf about your downgrade thread. i ain’t been here for years. the whole mods turning down stuff regardless on whether it’s right or wrong has been a thing for a long ass time which is why i said that. you heated for no reason imma keep it a bean

the whole mods turning down stuff regardless on whether it’s right or wrong has been a thing for a long ass time
are you aware of the fact that battleboarding is subjective and as such they might simply believe that something you believe to be right is wrong, rather than turning it down despite knowing it is right because of some inherent agenda
I’ll play devils advocate and state that i really doubt uzi meant you specifically. Or even had you in mind
i know he didn't but i hear this shit fairly often and it's very silly every time

are you aware of the fact that battleboarding is subjective and as such they might simply believe that something you believe to be right is wrong, rather than turning it down despite knowing it is right because of some inherent agenda
totally. thing is, this clearly isn’t the case here. most of the people who came on this site and then left can tell you that this place doesn’t operate on accuracy and it operates on what people (mainly the staff) want to hear. this isn’t a just a mario issue and it’s funny that you immediately came to defend yourself after i just talked about staff. if you want to know why i think this is the case then you can contact me on discord because im not doing it here.

totally. thing is, this clearly isn’t the case here. most of the people who came on this site and then left can tell you that this place doesn’t operate on accuracy and it operates on what people (mainly the staff) want to hear.
"oh yeah people who know definitely know this is true" (does not elaborate in the slightest)

what am i supposed to get out of this?
this isn’t a just a mario issue and it’s funny that you immediately came to defend yourself after i just talked about staff.
brother i've been following the thread for like a year now, i didn't "come here" i was here

also no shit i'm defending myself, i made the thread, obviously i'm going to see attacks made against its integrity as attacks made on my integrity, it's idiotic to ask me to let the 30th "mario was downgraded because of mod train/bias" accusation slide.
if you want to know why i think this is the case then you can contact me on discord because im not doing it here.
i don't really care why you think it's right because i know that it is wrong. i'm just quickly going to make you aware that the majority of non-staff users voted in favor of the thread (25 non-staff agreements vs 10 non-staff disagreements, if memory serves), so you should consider that maybe the thread was just genuinely convincing, that no sort of great shadowy conspiracy happened to make it pass despite common judgment, and that you are simply in the minority in disagreeing with its core arguments.

Last edited:
Actually you know what? Sure, on the condition that our interaction is going to be two people having a dispassionate conversation rather than two "debaters" trying to "prove" something to one another, I'd like to hear you out privately, it's less chaotic that way.

Last edited:
"oh yeah people who know definitely know this is true" (does not elaborate in the slightest)

what am i supposed to get out of this?
already said i would elaborate on discord
brother i've been following the thread for like a year now, i didn't "come here" i was here

also no shit i'm defending myself, i made the thread, obviously i'm going to see attacks made against its integrity as attacks made on my integrity, it's idiotic to ask me to let the 30th "mario was downgraded because of mod train/bias" accusation slide.
thing is i only said i wouldn’t make a crt due to mod bias. i never cared about your thread, i only said that i wasn’t surprised. also tbh thats not a healthy way to look at things. you’re tying your integrity to a power scaling site, minor things instead of how you are as an individual
i don't really care why you think it's right because i know that it is wrong. i'm just quickly going to make you aware that the majority of non-staff users voted in favor of the thread (25 non-staff agreements vs 10 non-staff disagreements, if memory serves), so you should consider that maybe the thread was just genuinely convincing, that no sort of great shadowy conspiracy happened to make it pass despite common judgment, and that you are simply in the minority in disagreeing with its core arguments.
if you don’t care about why i think im right then why even respond? matter of fact…
Actually you know what? Sure, on the condition that our interaction is going to be two people having a dispassionate conversation rather than two "debaters" trying to "prove" something to one another, I'd like to hear you out privately, it's less chaotic that way.
why even say this? ay man im 100 percent down for this and ill send you my discord but at least make it make sense. also im not those types of people who care about obsessively proving im right so we should be good

thing is i only said i wouldn’t make a crt due to mod bias. i never cared about your thread, i only said that i wasn’t surprised. also tbh thats not a healthy way to look at things. you’re tying your integrity to a power scaling site, minor things instead of how you are as an individual
I'm not tying my integrity to VSBW, and frankly I'm used enough to accusations that even if I did I would know to take it in stride, I just (I think understandably) get frustrated at the implication that something underhanded happens in this sort of situation when, at least when it comes to threads I've been involved in, I know it didn't.
why even say this? ay man im 100 percent down for this and ill send you my discord but at least make it make sense.
Don't take that as an attack against you, I've just had bad experiences.
also im not those types of people who care about obsessively proving im right so we should be good
Sure, I'd prefer on-site DMs if it's the same with you though.

I'm not tying my integrity to VSBW, and frankly I'm used enough to accusations that even if I did I would know to take it in stride, I just (I think understandably) get frustrated at the implication that something underhanded happens in this sort of situation when, at least when it comes to threads I've been involved in, I know it didn't.

Don't take that as an attack against you, I've just had bad experiences.

Sure, I'd prefer on-site DMs if it's the same with you though.
it’s cool. i forgot how this site works so ill just send my discord. @red_vial

Thought a certain group of NPCs were underappreciated, so I went looking for their dialogue.

Found this old gem.

To my surprise, got statements that MIGHT be relevant.
Check 1:16 & onwards.

Supposedly, they have dialogue after that part of the game is cleared, but finding footage of someone going & getting that dialogue seems like... a wild goose chase. : (
Dialogue after the point showcased in the video likely may not be relevant anyway.

Last edited:
from what i remember power stars can be summoned with the wonder flower
They can, as they cause showers of falling Super Stars in multiple levels, IIRC.

I forget if we distinguish between Super Stars, which grant temporary Invulnerability & Power Stars, which are mostly a collectible & grant increased power in SM64 & maybe some other entries.

Thought a certain group of NPCs were underappreciated, so I went looking for their dialogue.

Found this old gem.

To my surprise, got statements that MIGHT be relevant.
Check 1:16 & onwards.

Supposedly, they have dialogue after that part of the game is cleared, but finding footage of someone going & getting that dialogue seems like... a wild goose chase. : (
Dialogue after the point showcased in the video likely may not be relevant anyway.
Just to be sure, none of y'all find these matters notable?

Ngl I might be missing something but I don't see anything notable in the crows dialogue.
So that Mario guy meeting
with the mayor, he's actually
the bad guy, right?

And nobody even knows.
Humans are so dumb, it makes
me want to peck their noses.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
The only soul that knows the
bad guy's name is locked
under Creepy Steeple, I hear.

Because, you know, if no one
knows your name, then you
can use unstoppable magic.
But if someone says your real
name to you, then your magic
will stop working...
So...I wonder how all this is
going to end up, then?

Besides Doopliss not having Magic on his profile apparently, this is a statement of Doopliss using "unstoppable magic".
While it's uncertain if that means it's hard to negate, it does indicate its powerful, possible NLF concerns aside. The crows seem intelligent in general, so I'd consider them reliable expositors.
Also, since Doopliss is invulnerable to attacks while Mario prior to his name being discovered, it makes me wonder about if "unstoppable magic" was a strange translation choice; I'm interested in the original Japanese dialogue to see if it translates to something like "invincibility magic".

Though, the magic stopping criteria are a bit strange, since they say "no one knows your name", since the parrot (Who, funnily enough, seems to lack its own name.) knows Doopliss's name.

New 1000 year door remake trailer.

Recently saw it through GameExplain's channel.
I like that we get to see the hooded merchant reacting, since that's supposed to be Beldam, IIRC; It makes sense she'd react like that to a box she can't open, whether it's just for the role she's playing to deceive Peach, or genuine because the "pure of heart only box" with the Magical Map would release light unpleasant to a shadow demon.

They also pointed out a strange change:
A Flurrie blow-away wall in the room to the Eastern Blue Pipes room, which are the first you access.
The weird thing is, this wouldn't prevent any skips going by original TTYD mechanics because Blue Pipes early involves using Ms. Mowz's overworld ability to regain control of Mario when he's auto-leaping out of the water from Nibbles's bitings. That lets Mario get atop the platforms to Spin Jump the switches.

Meaning the absolute earliest the pipes can be opened is when you get the Super Boots, by which time Flurrie's already joined; So why would barriers only she can blow away be placed there??

Found an explanation

Seriously, careful of spoilers in that video.
SPOILERS: They seem to have changed the shortcut pipe system. Now all six are in one room! I'm not sure if I like this or not.... It especially looks like it's locked behind story progress. Uuugh. I hope they do more with this than just prevent speedrun strats.

Found an explanation

Seriously, careful of spoilers in that video.
SPOILERS: They seem to have changed the shortcut pipe system. Now all six are in one room! I'm not sure if I like this or not.... It especially looks like it's locked behind story progress. Uuugh. I hope they do more with this than just prevent speedrun strats.

Thousand Year door is the second Paper Mario game, correct? Is it good? I only played Origami King but had pretty mixed feelings about it.

Thousand Year door is the second Paper Mario game, correct? Is it good? I only played Origami King but had pretty mixed feelings about it.
TTYD is widely considered the best Paper Mario game.
I'd say I agree.
PM64 is a close second or tie.

TTYD's considered to have refined PM64's battle mechanics, although stuff like the audience, partners having more... mechanical independence (Their own HP, Items menu, badges for partner slot, etc.) make it arguably more of a revision.

Still, both of them come very highly recommended by me & many others, as fans of RPGs.

Origami King, AFAIK, is considered a decent game, but not up to par with the 1st 2, arguably exemplary Paper Mario games.

If you haven't played 64 & TTYD already, I think you should do so.

TTYD is widely considered the best Paper Mario game.
I'd say I agree.
PM64 is a close second or tie.

TTYD's considered to have refined PM64's battle mechanics, although stuff like the audience, partners having more... mechanical independence (Their own HP, Items menu, badges for partner slot, etc.) make it arguably more of a revision.

Still, both of them come very highly recommended by me & many others, as fans of RPGs.

Origami King, AFAIK, is considered a decent game, but not up to par with the 1st 2, arguably exemplary Paper Mario games.

If you haven't played 64 & TTYD already, I think you should do so.
Sounds like the entry that truly set things in motion for the series. Gonna give it a shot after I finish Saga Emerald Grace and FFVII Rebirth.

Being honest, what didn't do it for me in Origami King was the gameplay, I didn't hate it or anything, but I never truly had fun with it, except for the bosses which I thought were pretty cool (even that scissors son of a submariner and his one-hit kill). But the plot was fun, the characters were charming and the banter had a lot of personality like in most Mario RPGs I played, which I really liked. Which is also something I'm sure Thousand Year Door will also have.

EDIT: Ah, derp is not released yet. Neat, still have time.

General agreement is that the new paper marios are primarily held back by their gameplay, yeah (Minus Sticker Star, that one's held back by... everything). Wonder why Nintendo keeps sticking to it.

Ngl I liked the origami king’s combat system. Quickly having to plan out your move and having to basically solve a mini slider puzzle was pretty fun iirc.

I don't think Origami King's gameplay was bad, at least it didn't feel broken or incompetently made or anything, just that it didn't do it for me.

Can't really speak for the other Paper Marios (well Super Paper Mario aside, I did play that one and it was great). Have heard about Sticker Star and its strange gimmick and the fact it didn't have a story or something like that, which would be a huge waste IMO.

Color splash basically did worse versions of sticker star boss fights by making weapons that basically invalidate the bosses required they also make it so you can't use enemy cards against bosses whic would have been fun to effective turn the game into Pokemon

Btw does anyone have a good video of Rosalina making a forcefield when the player tries to jump on her in Galaxy 1 and 3D world? I'm working on her profile and the best I can find is this video.

Back