• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Subsonic Garnet?

Isn't Iroh offscreen right when we first see the lightning coming? Which is after he looked at it. I was under the assumption the calc took this into account as time used for his movement.

That's irrelevant.

Garnet glanced up slightly, but the lightning came from directly above her head.

@Sheoth But haven't people redirected lightning at point-blank range multiple seperate times in the series?

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
Isn't Iroh offscreen right when we first see the lightning coming? Which is after he looked at it. I was under the assumption the calc took this into account as time used for his movement.
That's irrelevant.

Garnet glanced up slightly, but the lightning came from directly above her head.
No he isn't-I linked the video above. Garnet was very clearly looking up at the sky. Just performing the same motion right now in my chair I can clearly see what's directly above my head.

ThePerpetual said:
@Sheoth But haven't people redirected lightning at point-blank range multiple seperate times in the series?

Yes, but it could be reasoned that they saw it coming before hand (via all of the movements it takes to charge it). Iroh's is considered and outlier because he seemed to legitimately react after the lightning came down, but then later couldn't react to Azula shooting him with a standard fire blast.

Sheoth said:
The Iroh lightning timing feat is usually considered an outlier.
I knew the Zuko feat was considered an outlier but this is the first I am hearing of Iroh's feat being considered an outlier. If so are all ATLA lightning speed feats considered outliers?

Eric Stormbringer said:
I knew the Zuko feat was considered an outlier but this is the first I am hearing of Iroh's feat being considered an outlier. If so are all ATLA lightning speed feats considered outliers?
I have heard them claimed to be outliers, but those claims could very well be wrong. The claim likely stems from the characters being unable to react to other slower than lighting objects in the show.

@Eric

Sorry, I mixed that up. Tired. I meant isn't the lightning offscreen when we first see Iroh move, which it is. Iroh sees the lightning and starts moving before it comes onscreen.

@Sheoth- yeah, lightning bending is right up there with Lava bending in terms of headscratchers on ATLA.

@Azathoth- The scene shows Iroh does not start any movements until the lightning is on screen.

Guys, I think I have a decent calc for her speed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnspczhiBLM Skip to 3:10

In the video, Garnet spikes a ball hard enough to turn a large amount of sand into glass instantly. Since the temperature for sand to become glass is around 3200*F, the ball had to be traveling around 10000m/s. It took the ball about 6 seconds to hit the ground, so for it to take this long, Garnet and the ball had to be about 60000m high, and from the positioning at 3:13, considering they were on a volleyball court and both teams were about half way down their respective sides, they appear to be aproximatley 9 meters apart. So it took Garnet 1.5 seconds to reach this height, which means she can travel at about 40000m/s, or Mach 117.

Sorry if anything's off, I haven't done a huge calc like this in a while.

@WeeklyBattles

Well with that calc, even if we ignore this lightning feat, that leaves Garnet with at least two MHS feats (this, fighting Lapis' water clones), so I really see no reason for the Gems to not be MHS.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
Eric Stormbringer said:
@Azathoth- The scene shows Iroh does not start any movements until the lightning is on screen.
Untrue. He very clearly begins moving just before the lightning comes on screen.
You're right I just slowed down the scene-ty for the correction.

So isn't the lightning feat still applicable for Garnet?

Iroh was already in motion and already knew lightning would strike before it came down.

Garnet's feat was ALOT more casual. She didn't get nearly as much time to prepare for the lightning strike.

Trust me steven universe is my favorite show currently airing and probably my second favorite of all time but this guy is forgetting one thing. So....OBJECTION!!! GARNET CAN SEE THE FUTURE! SHE'D KNOW THE SECOND THE LIGHTING BOLT WOULD COME IN TO KNOW WHEN TO BLOCK IT! SO SHE COULD CHOOSE EXACTLY WHEN TO PUT HER HAND UP!!! YOU CAN TELL THIS BY HOW SLOWLY SHE PUTS HER HAND UP!!! SHE KNEW THE EXACT MOMENT THAT LIGHTING WOULD HIT HER HAND!!! But does this mean she's not massively hypersonic? No, her precognitive future vision would let her see any possible thing that could happen and will give her time to react to it when it happens. Case dismissed.

Garnet's Future Vision is not perfect, as she's constantly viewing several outcomes at the same time, and only one of those involving being hit by the lightning. If her Future Vision was that precise, she wouldn't be hit once by any of the opponents she or the other Gems faced.

Besides, even with precog, you can't argue Garnet moved faster than the lightning bolt when it was right on top of her head. Precog does not enhance your movements.

Aha but before she specifically mentioned for steven not to go onto the roof. That means she most likely knew when and where lighting was going to strike. She also most likely uses her precog for what is most certain to happen in a fight. She sees many many things that are improbable so she knows exactly what's going to happen just not how it's going to happen.

Garnet does not know exactly what's going to happen. She didn't even know Pearl would use her to form Sardonyx and feel better about herself, let alone that she was the one messing with the tower.

Again, if her precog was that good, she wouldn't be hit once in any of her fights. She probably told Steven to not go on the roof because she saw too many bad outcomes with that decision.

And again, even if she knew the lightning bolt was coming, she still blocked it when it was right above her head, which no amount of precog can do.

Back