• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

"Strongest recorded punch in History"

CrossverseCrisis

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired
Very last part MIGHT be a stretch.

Anyways i wanted to ask, does anyone know where i can find the source of the worlds strongest punch recorded? The OBD has that listed on their energy scale page as 1008 joules and i kind of tried looking for it but couldn't find it with any luck.

I did looked up how much energy is there in an average punch and someone answered it as being in the range of 100-450 joules. Not really sure if that's even correct or not. :/

Anyways, does anyone have any idea's about the "strongest recorded punch"?

They have it wrong, it is 1028 and it was done by a boxer: Rocky Marciano (the inspiration of Balboa)

Is there a source about this though? Only thing i got was some website that kept bragging about him having the force of around 1000 lbs and, supposedly if he wanted, would be able to punch a 200 pound refrigerator feet into the air or some BS like that.

Average human punching speed is around 5 to 6 m/s with pro boxers reaching 9 m/s or more.

On average ones hand is around 5% of their total mass.

Assuming a man is 70 kg his hand would have a mass of 3.5 kg

(Using 6 m/s)

KE = 1/2mv^2 = 1/2*3.5*36 = 63 Joules

Using 9 m/s

KE = 141.75 Joules

But this is a regular punch with no body movement ,professional athletes usually move their entire body which increases the total mass so the Kinetic energy is increased as well.

Using the values from the page the max KE a karate fist is 393 J.

The force of ones punch is related to the sudden deacceleration of ones fist ( dP/dt = F ,or F=ma).

In order to find how much energy his punch has we would need his punching speed or how much force he can apply to his arm (which isn't the same as his punching force)

@Kkapoios: So range of 63-141.75 joules is only when somebody doesn't move their body, just their arm?

Keep in mind that boxers generally most of their entire body in a single motion to perform punches; also, their punches do come really fast.

Perhaps I can halve this value seeing that 1600 joules may be an exaggeration for a casual punch.

That sounds like what Kka might have told me earlier when he made a couple mini calcs above. *Nods*

Back