• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Starry Sky Question

RitsuØ1

He/Him
VS Battles
Retired
How do we treat starry skies for video games? Do we treat them as a skybox or actual stars?

Oddly specific question but I'll reserve anything outside of your actual inquiry to myself and get to it.

Video games generally use a skybox so they don't have to generate several hundreds of million kilometer wide plasma balls while running the rest of the game, with some exceptions generating them as you go near that area.

And in lore terms, sometimes, the stars are in fact real, like for... pretty much every pocket dimension feat with stars in it, assuming there isn't a contradiction to it in fact being that large.

It's about as straightforward as it gets, you have to judge it by the case that you're looking at.

OK. Thx. I'm pretty sure you know where I am going next:
It is basically the same starry sky we see in open world games.
Underworld is a VR stimulation IIRC (Kinda half-awake right now)...
So do we treat the stars in Underworld as a skybox or actual stars considering that Underworld is a VR stimulation?
Another question: Are there other game verses that have stellar feats using skyboxes?

what a surprise that this was hiding a question about a specific verse in particular...

They're a skybox, we have many statements suggesting as such.

Stellar feats never rely on the skyboxes themselves, but rather assuming they represent actual stars. Take when Sephiroth used to be rated at 4-A because his Supernova summoned and then destroyed something with an entire night sky to it. The stars themselves were in a skybox, but that's the simple limitation of the video game, not an actual statement of the fact it was just far off blinking lights.

basically, if the verse irl is a game but when we play it we see stars, it is a legitimate starry sky.
If it is a game within an already fictional universe, then it would depend on the context and statements as it would be damn hard to generate enough data to program the entirety of space into a game despite it not being used at all. So often it would be a skybox rather than a starry sky in the latter case.
In the case of SAO it is already proven that the stars there are a skybox (i've been lurking in some of the downgrade threads and there was some serious proof if i remember correctly). Either way the game inside the anime is at least somewhat realistic and it is clear that the developers wouldn't be able to/ wouldn't need to create the entirety of space in the game for no reason, especially considering the unimaginable amounts of data it would take. You'd need like a hundred quantum computers to just barely run even a hundredth of the game (with the skybox) when it comes to irl. Generating all of space which is unexplorable and empty would be a useless hassle that no sane developer would go through.

So overall:
if it is a game you can take and play and that game has a skybox - the stars are most likely real unless show/stated otherwise

if it is a game within a game/anime then it all depends on context and statements about it.

Back